Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #1

Grand Design Owners Club
Tow Vehicle with BackFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover used when pulling a 5th wheel question

I'm looking to purchase a Back Flip MX4 Tonneau cover for a Ford F350 with an eight foot bed. My question is, can this tonneau cover be used when pulling a 5th wheel? Is the 5th wheel hitch accessible when the cover is folded? Does the height of the folded cover get in the way on tight turns?

thanks
DMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #2

I have not used a cover but talked to people that did. Of course it shortens the turning angle but not by much. Lots of people have them.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #3

KZ RV Club
Bed cover

I also have a long bed F 350. I have the folding bakflip cover.
My hitch, B and W companion fits fine underneath.
The cover i have folds 3 times, and then has clips to hold the folds down.
This is my 4th cover like this, and when fully opened, and lifted up, you can have your whole bed.
Safe travels
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #4

KZ RV Club
Bed cover

Has to be opened to access hitch
Midlotexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #5

That couple from YouTube did a good video describing this exact setup. Keep your daydream or something?
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

Skip to about 13min.

https://youtu.be/jFM5zkB2gqA
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:55 PM   #7

I have that exact cover on my 2019 Ram 3500 short bed and a B&W Companion slider hitch, towing a Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5'er. I fold the cover back so that only 1 section (forward-most) of the truck bed is covered, exposing the hitch. The tonneau has lock down straps on either side to prevent the cover from unfolding while underway. I have >6" of clearance between bed rails and 5th wheel bunk and the folded-back tonneau doesn't interfere at all with the set up. I can corner and do tight backing turns without any problem. I really like being able to protect and cover the hitch and bed while not towing. It's an excellent cover.

The things that affect the set up and clearance between cover and 5th wheel are the stack height of the 5th wheel pinbox and the height of the hitch. The hitch height may be adjustable - depending on the model, but most are not. The pinbox height is adjustable, but you dont want it end up towing the 5er nose high. These measurements are taking into consideration in the design of the 5th wheel. As truck bed rail height has increased with the latest generation of tow vehicles, many (most?) of the 5th wheel manufacturers have adjusted the raised their coaches to allow a perfect setup with non-lifted trucks.
Troutd0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:48 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
As others have said, it may or may not work depending on the configuration and set up of your particular hitch and the way the trailer is designed.

That particular cover would not work for my set up as the rails mounted inside the bed would interfere with the back end of the king pin assembly on the trailer.

I had to go with a soft folding cover that mounts on top of the sides of the bed, and folds forward to get out of the way.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
JDT

I have used a Bakflip Revolver X2 on my last 2 Fords, both long beds. I've had the fold up type and they do work and I had no problem with interference with my hitch. I like the X2, or X4 now, much better as I can easily roll it up just walking along side the bed. The fold up type got a little heavy on the last fold for me to do it from the side. The X2 on my F350 does not block my view out of the rear window in any way. I also have access to almost my full bed when it is rolled up.

If you look close you can see it rolled up behind the back window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0344 (2).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	297092  
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cover, tow