RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #29

I have been following this thread, as I just purchased a 2020 Pathfinder SL, with the tow hitch. I know I can tow 6000 lbs, but after reading all of these threads I want to go as small/light as possible, just to be on the safe side. I am considering the Jayco Jay Feather X17Z, or the Jayco Jay Feather X19h. The floor plan is the same, but smaller on the 17. The (dry) weight comes in at about 1000 less for the X17. (3950, GVWR) the 19 is 4950 (GVWR). the 17 is 18.7 length, the 19 is 20.8. I just feel nervous, as it's been 20 years since I towed (Towed a large pop-up with a beast of a Durango). I do plan on going to the Pacific NW next summer with vehicle and trailer. I live in the North East. Thoughts, advice....I am open to any

cathib007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 PM   #30

Towing 27' trailer with SUV (2018 Nissan Pathfinder)

Cathib007, those are too much travel trailer (TT) for a Pathfinder or any of the other CUVs like Pilot and Highlander. Exceptions are the larger CUVs like Durango, new Explorer, and Acadia/Traverse with higher rear axle rated capacities. Crossover utility vehicles (CUV) are uni-body like minivans of yor. They are not as rugged for towing like SUVs, which are body-on-frame. CUV payloads and rear axle capacities are not enough for the full load of passengers and cargo in the Tow Vehicle (TV) plus the weight of the TT tongue on the rear hitch, which also adds to the load on the TV. For CUVs, I would recommend 60% of your rated tow rating, or about 3,600-lbs for the max. weight of your TT. This would be the GVWR of the TT. You need a minimum of 12% to 15% of your gross weight on the tongue/hitch for towing stability. Lighter weight pop-ups can be as low as 10% due to their low wind frontal area.

Pop-ups or tear drop TT would be best due to their aerodynamic shape. Even some large, high-wall pop-ups can bump up to that limit. If you have kids (and their friends or cousins) and need sleeping positions, I would stick with a pop-up. Our family loved camping in one all over the place. If just the two of you, a nice tear drop or pod type TT would work great. Check out the R-Pod line by Forest River and similar pod type TT.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:54 AM   #31

WEIGHTS
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 665
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 375
Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 3,285
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 3,950
MEASUREMENTS
Total Overall Length 18' 7"
Exterior Height 9' 6"
Exterior Height w/ A/C 10' 1"
Exterior Width 8' 0"
Interior Height (living area) 6' 6"
Awning length 10'

So are you saying even this TT is not good for my 2020 Pathfinder? The GVWR is under 4000 lbs? It would be myself and two other adult females traveling in my Pthfinder
cathib007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #32

Towing 27' trailer with SUV (2018 Nissan Pathfinder)

In order to judge if your Pathfinder can tow a 4,000-lb TT there are three critical weights, GCWR of TV+TT, GVWR of TV, and rear GAWR of TV. You should load up your PF with your passengers, dogs, kids, coolers, and all the other cargo and stuff you would take with you in your vehicle on a camping trip. You should also add two 40-lb bags of water softener salt in the very back of your “trunk” to simulate the weight of a hitch. Then go to a scale and get the weights of your vehicle including rear axle.

Add your weighed Gross weight of your TV to the 3,950-lb TT and compare this to your PF’s GCWR.

Multiply 3,950-lb x 12.5%= 494-lb to get assumed hitch/tongue weight. Add this to your TV Gross weight. Compare this to your GVWR of your TV.

Add the 494-lb tongue weight to the weighed rear axle weight of your TV. Compare this to your rear axle GAWR.

If all three of these weights are within your limits of the TV, then you are OK from a weight and load standpoint.

You should also check your receiver hitch capacity. Many CUVs receivers are rated at only 500-lbs and you would be just under that at 494-lbs so probably OK, but double check anyway. A number of mfrs do not allow a weight distribution hitch to be used on their CUVs due to the light duty nature of a unibody design including bending and binding of doors. I don’t know if PF is one of these. Read your owners manual regarding towing. Also, CUVs are generally softly sprung so when that 500-lb load is hitched up plus all your cargo and passengers, the car will sag. A lot. The front end will raise. Weight will reduce at the front wheels and steering could be affected.

Some intangibles of towing include: engine power vs TT windswept frontal area, wheelbase, sway control, weight distribution, speed, braking, mountain vs flat land towing, and how comfortable you feel in towing. I would recommend not “pushing the limits” if you are going to tow in mountains. Leave yourself plenty of margin so you don’t have to worry in emergency situations. Camping is supposed to be fun! Slow down and enjoy the journey!

Tags
tow, towing, trailer