Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

Towing 29' TT Keystone Passport

Hi, we just bought a Keystone Passport 29' about 4800 dry weight. We drive a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder v6, 6k towing capacity. I realize from hours of research (yes before i bought the trailer) that this could be a dangerous match up. We towed it home from the dealership with no problem, could barely tell it was behind us but I imagine on the open roads with crosswinds it could be very dangerous from what i'm reading. We do have the E2 sway control and weight distribution and the brake controller. Trying to decide if we should take our chances and try to go on a local (about 3 hour) trip before we buy a new truck or not chance it and go right for the new truck. We were thinking along the lines of the Nissan Armada or Chevy Silverado 1500 ltz....any suggestions? Thanks!
angelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

Congratulations on your new TT and truck! (hehe)

30 foot trailers offer a lot of real estate for wind and passing trucks to push the trailer, then suck it back in.

I don't know all the specs of your combination, but I can bet that a V8 truck (or even a 2500/250) will be a much more enjoyable tow with much less to worry about.

It only takes one emergency maneuver or high wind gust to ruin everything.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelab View Post
Hi, we just bought a Keystone Passport 29' about 4800 dry weight. We drive a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder v6, 6k towing capacity. I realize from hours of research (yes before i bought the trailer) that this could be a dangerous match up. We towed it home from the dealership with no problem, could barely tell it was behind us but I imagine on the open roads with crosswinds it could be very dangerous from what i'm reading. We do have the E2 sway control and weight distribution and the brake controller. Trying to decide if we should take our chances and try to go on a local (about 3 hour) trip before we buy a new truck or not chance it and go right for the new truck. We were thinking along the lines of the Nissan Armada or Chevy Silverado 1500 ltz....any suggestions? Thanks!
Congratulations on the trailer. Although it is a lightweight, it is still a long trailer to catch wind. Find a scale and weigh it once you have packed in your linens, towels, clothes, pots, pans, kitchen utensils, food, some clothes, folding chairs and tables for outside comfort, (SEE WHERE THIS IS ADDING WEIGHT FAST?) and see what it really weighs. You will be really surprised, and that will be with empty tanks!

I have a 27' toy hauler and towed it with a 1500 GMC z71 for the first year and a half with it. Mine is not a light weight model and comes in at an actual weight of 9400# with a 1200# cart in the back. I never left Florida because it would have bee too much for the 1500. Kept it under 65 mph and watched everything around me. Getting passed by trucks was unnerving but never white knuckle for me. I have taken it to the mountains of North Ga. with my 2500 Dodge and it is night and day from the 1500. Right truck makes the trip better.

My best GUESS is that a 1500 truck WILL be adequate to tow it with because it is a lightweight model. Short trips, paying close attention to everything should be alright for a few trips as you will add stuff each trip and the trailer will get heavier each trip, and then, I recommend changing the 1500 series trucks tires from P metric to LT type tires. P tires flex too much.

If you do go on a trip with the Pathfinder, stay slow and careful. Inflate tires to MAX to help prevent flex. You have towed it once, so you know what to expect.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:28 AM   #4

Thanks for the response, we have decided to go with the chevy silverado over the armada hopefully it can handle the length of the trailer w no sway issues. I will look into switching the tires as u suggest
angelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 AM   #5

Make sure to get the tow package and not just the receiver hitch and plug that a dealer installed. Tow package has the stiffer springs, better shocks, and transmission cooler in addition to the hitch and plug.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing