Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #15

I hesitate to re-enter this caustic exchange, but Original Poster (OP) I urge you to do your research on towing limits and to err on the side of caution. Not over-caution mind you but be cautious. Towing heavy loads can be inherently dangerous. If everything is perfect then good to go. But incidents do happen. Tires can have defects and fail. Welds can fail. Bearings can fail. Potholes can wreak havoc. Emergency braking. Wear and tear. Long term fatigue. This all sounds ominous, but only to reinforce the fact that it is wise not to push limits, disregard capacities, flaunt safety factors, and to heed wise advice. For these reasons, most reasonable people do not tow at the limit but allow some buffer room for those extraordinary situations that life throws at us. Do your exhaustive research and make an informed and wise decision.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #16

Deb:

I towed with an expedition for years, in my honest opinion I think a trailer with that much weight is too much.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_majestic View Post
I know I'm new to this particular forum, but am I the only who notices Guy65 just implodes threads?
I don't mind the opposing views, discussion and calm debate. But the finger-pointing, name-calling and drawn out tirades do get a little over the top and old real quick.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like Capt Majestic, I too towed with an Expy and second his opinion. 6500 pounds gross would be all I would feel comfortable with and even that can be a handful when the wind blows.

As I said before the thread became toxic, I loved my Expedition and it was the best vehicle I have ever owned. Bought it new and kept it for 12 years. would still be driving it but my new trailer was just too much to be towed comfortably by it. Really had to watch the loading and still not relaxing. I think the independent rear suspension is a factor since a pickup with a solid rear axle tows a bit better. An Expedition is basically an F150 except for the rear suspension and seats. Same drivetrain and same cargo and towing limits.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:29 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
First off, it is an Expedition, not a truck. The Expedition tows differently becuase of the independent rear suspension. Much different than a solid axle. Over 6000 pounds and they struggle. Had one for 12 years and although it is great for lighter loads it is clearly not up to towing an 8000 pound TT.

Further, to suggest that someone who has little or no towing experience should tow with a vehicle at the absolute max of it's capability with no knowledge of their driving skills is downright dangerous advice.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:21 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
I have a 2013 expedition and I pull a 30 ft TT with it. Dry weight is 5200 lbs and fully loaded is about 6500 plus some weight in the SUV for passengers and gear. Well within the limits of the SUV. I know it's back there for sure. We are looking at buying a new TT next year and are planning to lose a few feet and about 1000 lbs to make the drive a little easier. I would not want to pull anything heavier than what we have at the moment.

I also have an older 7.3 turbo diesel. Power wise, the 5.4 is similar, if not better, but the extra weight of the dually is nice. However we still use the expedition for trips due to comfort.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2945.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	172317
Old 08-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #21

If a vehicle is rated to tow 9k lbs, it will only do so under very specific best case scenario conditions staying under GVWR, GCWV, and RAWR. So it depends if that 9k trailer has 10% HW(900) or 15% HW(1350). For 1500/150 trucks and SUVs the limiting factor is almost always RAWR (tongue/pin weight) and Max hitch weight. Manufactures certify a vehicle at a specific GCWR using the lightest recommended tongue weight of 10% conventional towing and 15% pin/gooseneck which doesn't fit the RV markets very well. Ultimately it is the consumers responsibility to stay within a vehicles rated capabilities, unfortunately the manufactures don't make it easy to understand. With so many possible towing combinations out there I really don't think there's a way to make simple though.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #22

The numbers don't lie, and yes if people actually took the time to educate themselves on how the ratings are applied they may have larger tow vehicles or smaller trailers but they will still be rving.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
The numbers don't lie, and yes if people actually took the time to educate themselves on how the ratings are applied they may have larger tow vehicles or smaller trailers but they will still be rving.
If you come to the point, where you have to dig that deep into number crushing, you've done something wrong from the first place.

My only complaint to RAM for example is, that they do not include progressive springs, which does not even cost more, into the tow package. this would solve the major issue with the sag, when you hook the camper up (a problem which came with the linear coil springs as reminiscence to comfortable ride) and would take a little bit of strain off the weight distribution hitch.
Other than that- if you stay within the tow- weight limit of you truck with your travel ready trailer, you should be able to expect, you're good- from there- it's personal skill and comfort. And the myth of slow creeping 1500's on hills is with new trucks a part of a storybook- but has nothing to do with reality- a 400hp and over 400fp torque equipped truck can pull the load very well up the hill. maybe with higher rpm than a diesel, but it can. And comfort and skill, you can't measure with numbers. That's why I said- the ones crashing or getting in trouble of any kind, are usually the ones overestimating their ability.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #24

Since you're just guessing with percentages that puts you right in there with the uneducated ones. There's to many unknown weights for that formula to work consistently. There will always be some guessing/estimating about weights since most people don't have reasonable access to a scale but the more you understand the less chance you'll make a bad decision. Again legally it's the consumers responsibility to know the rating and limits.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #25
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Multiple posts have been removed for personal attacks, which is not allowed here.

Please discuss only the issue.

Lori-
Closed Thread

Tags
tow, towing