Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #29

Back to the original question.

I tow a 2007 28ft Copper Canyon with a 2013 ecoboost. No HDPP, no max tow and my payload is 1550 lbs. My real problem is my bed size. That relegated me to the 3100 pullrite hitch. Don't get me wrong, it works like a charm but it added 400lbs of payload I didn't plan on. I still blame the dealer for insinuating that the sidewinder pin is faulty.

Now this is my getting back into RVing rig. I was always planning on getting a bigger truck and RV at retirement. And the numbers would have worked for me with the 6.5ft bed. But I digress. The ecoboost is a dream to tow with. I would take that engine anywhere. For extra support. I added a set of Timbrens and E rated tires. It tows great. But I am also keeping my weight to about 8600 lbs and my pin weight to about 1450 lbs. Giving me a total payload of about 1850 lbs. But I need to re-scale it this spring.

I'm really hoping that Ford's new 7.3l gas engine and a set of 4:30 gears tows like my ecoboost. I've driven thousands of miles in diesels towing, so I get it. But I've also had those same diesels in for repairs for a much longer time period. Less MPG's, I know, but I kind of like the simplicity of a gasoline engine. Jury's still out on that. Depends on what RV we want to retire with. Less than 2 years away, but who's counting, right??
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 10:28 AM   #30

I would say you need to start with the desired trailer and go from there. I think trucks have come a long way and everyone still has the mindset that a "half-ton" truck is a small truck and that all trailers are a brick house. I think it is simple math, find the trailer, get the pin weight, if its under the axle and tire rating of the f150, then do it.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWarrior View Post
I would say you need to start with the desired trailer and go from there. I think trucks have come a long way and everyone still has the mindset that a "half-ton" truck is a small truck and that all trailers are a brick house. I think it is simple math, find the trailer, get the pin weight, if its under the axle and tire rating of the f150, then do it.
I agree! But I've already determined to increase to a 1 ton SRW instead of 3/4 ton. The cost difference is so negligible in the grand scheme of things. But that's my stopping point. It's the weight of my next rig that determines gas or diesel, maybe. I'm hearing good things on that 7.3!
Old 01-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #32

Not an opinion but a qualitative observation. I've talked to numerous people in campgrounds with 1/2 ton trucks pulling fifth wheels. Here in the Northwest they are generally F150 trucks towing Cougar trailers. Maybe people are being defensive, but they all say the truck tows great and they are happy with the setup.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:51 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGhost View Post
Whoo boy this is a hot neighborhood. Didn't realize some of these guys were so sensitive.

Can we get back to the regularly scheduled program?
Sorry for getting off-track, but I feel misinformatiion needs to be clarified both for your sake and all reading.

If you already have the F150 I suspect you'll do everything to keep it. A light enough 5th wheel for that truck will be very light, like 8000 lbs TOPS! Either that or it'll be very small. The lighter trailers will generally be wood construction and flimsier...less durable. Another thing is a larger trailer that is very light (relative to its size) is more subject to sway and even blowover in heavy wind. It's not much fun, nor is watching a trailer falling apart slowly each year due to shoddy build practice.

Our 5th is heavy for its length, but I have driven through 100 km/h crosswinds and gusts without incident. Since I sometimes drive slow according to the crowd at IRV2 I have had some semis blow past me but have experienced zero sway and very little "suck". If anything, I will make a semi swerve a bit if they're lightly loaded or empty.

An Ecoboost won't last 200 000 miles without issues if hauling heavy and often under boost.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:00 PM   #34

On point - you are right a 5th wheel will tow more stable than a travel trailer. Just the nature of a 5th wheel.

I think most manufactures make a 24' - 28' 5th wheel. At least I know Wimnebago, KZ and Forest River does.

A Winnebago Mini Plus 5th wheel 25RKS shows a pin weight of 820 lbs empty.

KZ made a 24' 5th wheel that I liked several years ago. Maybe they still do.

Here are listed half ton towable 5th wheels from the Keystone Cougar. They are pushing the max weight of a half ton truck (or are they truthful).

I think you would want a 6.5' bed and pay attention to tires and rear axle weight capacity.

Ford has been making improvements to the 3.5 Eco-Boost. Keep the oil clean to get the most miles out of it. I did see a 2020 F-150 3.5 Eco-Boost XLT with 2,135lbs of payload with 5.5' bed. I did not take note of the rear axle...sorry. Oh, you will want to 36 gallon fuel tank. I had this on my 2011 F-150 and one time went 710 miles on 975 mile trip once before filling up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210130_165334.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	316367
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #35

You can get an 8' bed in an F-150, and then it comes with the 36 gal (136l) gas tank, which I love. I can drive over 1000kms on a tank. Make it all the way across our province and half way across the next when driving to visit our kids.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 04:10 PM   #36

bross - that is one cool truck[emoji106]. Just curious what is the payload ?

OP - to tow a 5th wheel an 8' bed is best. That way you will not hit the cab when backing at angle which always is the case.

A 10 speed with that 36 gallon fuel tank would be great. I only had a 6 speed.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilD View Post
Not an opinion but a qualitative observation. I've talked to numerous people in campgrounds with 1/2 ton trucks pulling fifth wheels. Here in the Northwest they are generally F150 trucks towing Cougar trailers. Maybe people are being defensive, but they all say the truck tows great and they are happy with the setup.
Well this is due to the fact that 5er while they may have the TV 500# to 1,500# overweight, the fact that the tow so stable, and don’t induce sway like a TT.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #38

Well we just got back from looking at both a trailer and 5th wheel. Wife says t trailer feels cramped and likes the 5th wheel for the extra space. SO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS......

Looks like at this point the 5th wheel is a forgone conclusion. Now to see what works within the budget and that will determine the amount of muscle applied. I agree on the sway factor. I have vivid memories of high winds and large semi's. Even with a large 3 ton Excursion weighed down to the max. Not pleasant but not too bad. I'm sure the 1/2 ton would increase the pucker factor significantly.

Keep the input coming, all great information on real world experience. Thanks!
SGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:45 PM   #39

Bad news if the wife does not like the cramped (cozy) feeling. That is what you will find in 5th wheels that can be towed with a 150/1500 series truck I think.

5th wheels with opposing living area slides with a wardrobe slide in the bedroom that are mid profile will weigh too much for a full sized truck. When I look at 5th wheels this is what I find as 'not cramped'.

Typically you will only find single slides in the smaller half ton towable 5th wheels.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well this is due to the fact that 5er while they may have the TV 500# to 1,500# overweight, the fact that the tow so stable, and don’t induce sway like a TT.
That's true! After we closed on the trailer, it was only then I realized we could only use the pullrite hitch. So then I knew we were going to be over payload.. But you can't tell while I'm towing.

I remember you posting about your previous truck 2 years ago. You stated you were way over on payload, so you made sure your tires were at least up to handling the extra load. Thank you for that advice. I have E rated tires on my truck now and I could feel the difference. The peace of mind helps too!
Old 01-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
bross - that is one cool truck[emoji106]. Just curious what is the payload ?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #42

1,717 lb. payload is not too shabby. Thanks for posting that information.

Tags
5th wheel, ford, tow, towing