Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Towing a 26' trailer, how hard is that?

Hi,

Currently I have a small trailer 19', A-Liner type. Because the trailer is small it is very easy to stop at any place to eat when we are traveling. We just use two parking spots (one in front of the other). We normally stop at McDonalds, supermarket, restaurant,etc.
Some times I park across many parking spots but this is not always available and a 26' will take much more space.

Now, how do you do that with a 26' trailer? How/where do you park your car+trailer to eat or buy something when you go or come back from camping?

I know, it is a very strange question....

Thanks,
Marc
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You will not be able to stop as many places as you did before. It will take some searching to find parking large enough for trailer and TV. Sometimes we can find parking lots big enough where we can park across several single spots. Sometimes we can't find any place large enough to park our 32' fifth wheel & TV, so we just head on down the road to find another place.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bring my own food.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Not a strange question at all. We've all been at that point at some time or another in our lives. BTW, .

No matter if you've got a TT & truck/5-r & truck or MH & toad, you'll find yourself parking in the outskirts of shopping center parking lots & walking to the store or restaurant of choice. Just park yourself enough away from the main parking areas so you don't block the other customers & allow yourself enough room for an easy exit. Cracker Barrel's/Flying J's usually have RV parking spots, assuming some moron with a car hasn't parked there. If traveling the interstates, look for places with "truck parking" signs - this usually means there's space & room to maneuver.

Parking spaces are not difficult to find, you just have to account for your longer length.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had TTs they were 29' and 31' and pulled them with a Suburban at 18', so I was pushing 50' total and yes I had to be careful where I pulled into and where I could stop but I never felt all that inconvenienced with them. When I would have felt inconvenienced was if I had a small trailer - not when travelling but when set up and using the trailer, that extra space is worth the occasional parking issues.

To each their own, but my thoughts are if you have to pull a trailer, then pull a T R A I L E R .
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM   #6

Wow, thanks for all the information.

I'm aware that things will change after we move up to a bigger size. I just want to get some experience from the experts (all of you ) on how to deal with some of the things that, right now, I call 'inconveniences' of having a larger trailer.

I'm sure the "inconveniences" will change later to "inconveniences" of having a small trailer. Well, I already have a list of them in hand... otherwise I will not be trying to move to a bigger one
marcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I addition to limiting eating establishments, you need to watch the service stations. Most of the newer ones are not RV friendly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Smile It's not as bad as you think!

I used to do the same thing when I had a pop-up- park tandem in two spaces.

Yeah, it's a bigger trailer. You just have to park a little more strategically (and with a little more forethought) than you did with the nineteen footer. Being that you already have experience in this department, I think it's just going to be a matter of adjustment to the new size than anything else.

One thing I do if I park across a number of parking places is to park in as much of a "U" as possible in the spaces. This does two things:

One- reduces the number of spaces you "eat up".
Two- Helps prevent you from being blocked in should some "idiot" park in the first open slot in front of your TV and/or behind your trailer. I also park the front of the TV just over the line of the next parking slot to give you a little extra room to maneuver. It doesn't hurt to do this with the rear or the trailer too.

The easy rule of thumb is: Whenever possible, park where the cars aren't. I've parked in other businesses that were closed (or their lots were empty) and then walked over to the business I want to patronize. I've never had anyone complain.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep. I under stand LONG, the trailer is 35' long, plus 21' of truck and about a foot of hitch......equals 57', nose to tail. That takes up a few parking spaces.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #10

I personally don't see a big deal going from 19 to 26 feet. We're only talking 7 feet, two good steps, one more parking spot if you're going sideways, probably still fit in most inline spaces.
alageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #11
IC2

Not a big deal. We went from a 19' to a 29' now a 34' 5er. You just very quickly learn that there are a few places you can't get to any longer without using a bit more shoe sole leather. Our 19 footer - that thing would fit almost anywhere the truck would go. The 29 footer - well a bit more turning radius and a few more feet of space. Now the 5er - that's a different story. While the overall length behind the truck isn't much more then the 29, there is now the 12'6" height and a lot more weight plus dips and turns to worry about as it might hit the bed. Your longer trailer might also have a tendency, if low, to do some "agricultural" work by dragging the rear skids. My fix was the Dexter Axle over/under mod which raised the back just enough (~5").

The added length will more then compensate for a wee bit of inconvenience. Enjoy
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote