Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Had a similar setup flip on I-15 in Salt Lake this week. Obviously the 1/2 ton truck could pull a big trailer. I doubt it weighed as much as yours. But too much wind and there wasn't enough truck to control it. Can you pull it? Sure. Can you pull it safely in adverse conditions? Probably not. Will you get sued if you damage someone else's property or person because you exceeded payload or GVWR? You betcha.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Right. His question was: "Can I tow a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs...as long as I keep the total loaded weight less than or equal to 9300 lbs". The GVWR of the trailer was a given, not a question. His question was can his truck tow a trailer that heavy.

And the short answer is probably not because you will exceed the GVWR (and therefore the payload capacity) of the tow vehicle way before you reach trailer weight of 9,300 pounds.
So, 15 posts in we are all in agreement and will live forever in internet message board harmony? Wow! I like the way this went. Something tells me by tomorrow at this time there will be a new thread and everyone will be splitting hairs, name calling and arguing nomenclature. At least tonight I will go to bed knowing we are all at peace with one another.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #17

He has the redesign 2019 1500 GM truck. I just looked at those trucks a few days ago. I opened 5 truck doors and looked at the payload. All the trucks with various trim packages were between 1,850 and 2,100lbs payload. The wheelbase is longer and the trucks looked bigger.

GM also added more information to the door sticker towing capacity.

The OP also has the 6.2 litre engine with the tow package (whatever that includes)?.

That truck has more capability to tow then I 1st thought. But the OP says 9,300lbs which I say is low for his truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:27 AM   #18

Steve

As mentioned Yes you can and no it won't void warranty.

What some are alluding to is that depending on how much weight you put in the cab & bed and how much weight you put in that trailer where its distributed and how you set your WDH you could exceed your trucks GVWR aka payload. For safety & stability the more important part is proper weight distribution. Generally using the WDH to replace your trucks unloaded steer weight and get your seen on scales hitch weight in the 10 to 15% of gross trailer weight range.

With a dry weight on your trailer of only 6436 you would typically only end up at about 7,500 wet weight with a travel trailer leaving you at a comfortable tow weight for the half ton platform and the power & gearing your truck has. However with that high of a trailer GVWR to base weight I am betting you have a Toy Hauler. With a toy and water & supplies you may put much more than 1,000 pounds in it and end up closer to your trucks 9,300 pound max tow rating and consequently closer to your trucks GVWR. So loading of the TT/TH and setting up of the WDH is very important to the stability and legality for the weight police of your truck and trailer.

In case you don't know this can concretely be done at Cat or other truck stop scale as they weigh all three your steer axle, drive axle, and trailers axles at the same time but separately. This allows you to off scales adjust your WDH and or loading so as to work toward your goal of replacing your steer weight and making sure your tongue weight is right so that you have a safe stable tow. Cost is usually around $12 for the initial and $2 per additional weigh. This always involves a little trial and error until you figure out your particular truck hitch & trailer. Good news is once you generally have it figured out as to trailer loading & hitch its only needs to be a one time event unless you radically change the loading of your trailer in the future.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:30 AM   #19

BTW FWIW I transport TTs & THs commercially for the Mfgrs including Forrest River. 600,000 miles on my 1/2 ton truck transporting mostly Ohio Indiana to all over the west coast and back so I know scale houses DOT semi bow wave windy planes and mountains grades. Set up is key.

Eck I wish this forum setup allowed for editing punctuation and grammar beyond 30 minutes.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:32 PM   #20

OP....... Gvwr or payload has no legal implications with dot or in a court of law for exceeding any trucks payloads. Other criteria does where overload tickets or civil lawsuits happen.

The OPs truck has the NHT tow package which is a 7600 gvwr and 4300 rawr which is good for around 2000 lbs in the bed legal payloads. Actual scaled front and rear axle weights are required to know any trucks legal/safe payload. You have the truck so drop by a set of CAT scales.

The 6.2 engine has 420hp/460 torque and may have a 8 or 10 speed tranny so the truck has plenty of go power.

The truck maker may choose any GVWR he wants as long as it doesn't exceed the sum of the axle ratings.
The front and rear axle ratings determines the truck brake capacities at a minimum. Todays truck brakes are huge.
Numbers can go like this example;. Trucks 3950 fawr...trucks 4300 rawr = 8250 lb of braking performance. Now add the trailers tandem 4750 lb GAWRs = 17750 lb braking performance for the combination.

Your 9300 lb tow rating is the trailers wet weight...not a gvwr number. Like some experienced members are saying some trailers with a 10000 gvwr may have 3xxx lb CCC. Its rare a trailer that small are loaded with 3k+ lbs of "stuff".
I always look at any trailers dry weight (rv included) then add the weight I'm going to load in/on the trailer for its gross weight.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #21

If you do not hoard stuff like a few people I know then you do not need to go by the gvwr of the trailer. But if you are a hoarder then go by the gvwr plus 500 lbs. Yes, 10,500 lbs.

You guys do not know what a hoarder can pack into a trailer.

I am staying at my friends house whose wife is a hoarder. Unbelievable. I also towed a 5th wheel of a couple where the wife was a hoarder. We blew two tires, as that 5th wheel was packed with junk...every nook and cranny.

I am going to talk to my friend and tell him his wife needs help.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you do not hoard stuff like a few people I know then you do not need to go by the gvwr of the trailer. But if you are a hoarder then go by the gvwr plus 500 lbs. Yes, 10,500 lbs.

You guys do not know what a hoarder can pack into a trailer.

I am staying at my friends house whose wife is a hoarder. Unbelievable. I also towed a 5th wheel of a couple where the wife was a hoarder. We blew two tires, as that 5th wheel was packed with junk...every nook and cranny.

I am going to talk to my friend and tell him his wife needs help.
Are you up in verona?
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #23

No, I am now in Newark Ohio 172 west of Verona. I need to make more concrete plans for Verona.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #24

Thank you for all of your input. After considering all this, I've decided to look for a lighter trailer - something in the 7000-7500 lb GVWR. I am currently looking at a Lance 2465 with a GVWR of 7300 lbs, a Gross dry weight of 5675 lbs, and a hitch weight of 660 lbs. It is 29.5' in length.

For info, the nameplate on the driver's door for my truck are: GVWR 7100 lbs, GCWR 15000 lbs, GAWR RR 3800 lbs, Max payload 1621 lbs, Max tongue weight 930 lbs, Curb Weight 5479 lbs. The 9300 lb tow rating came from the 2019 Silvarado brochure.

Any other input would be appreciated. Any mods I should do to my truck to make it safer/better for towing? It does have a trailer brake controller and the "Advanced Trailering System." How well does the Chevrolet Trailer Sway control work?

Any recommendations for a weight distributing hitch? Thanks again for you recommendations!
SteveSheahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 AM   #25

I had no idea all that was going onto the door plate. Makes me wonder how many lawsuits theyve lost over toungue weight.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #26

That is new for GM trucks. I think it is a good addition to help people wanting to tow a travel trailer.

Now sure if Ford, Ram, Toyota, Nissan are going to follow. The door sticker also mentiones J2807.

A Lance trailer is perfect for 150/1500 series truck. The main thing is they are relatively an areodynamic trailer.

I had good luck with just a Drawtite WD hitch. It was easy to use.
Old 09-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
He has the redesign 2019 1500 GM truck. I just looked at those trucks a few days ago. I opened 5 truck doors and looked at the payload. All the trucks with various trim packages were between 1,850 and 2,100lbs payload. The wheelbase is longer and the trucks looked bigger.

GM also added more information to the door sticker towing capacity.

The OP also has the 6.2 litre engine with the tow package (whatever that includes)?.

That truck has more capability to tow then I 1st thought. But the OP says 9,300lbs which I say is low for his truck.
I have a 2019 with the 5.3, the 9300lb is standard capacity(the tow package just adds receiver and trailer light jack) the 6.2 reduces compacity by 500lb. Mine has the "MAX TRAILERING PACKAGE includes 9.76" rear axle, (GU6) 3.42 axle ratio, enhanced cooling radiator, revised shock tuning for increased control, heavier duty rear springs, increased RGAWR and (KW5) 220-amp alternator Includes (JL1) trailer brake controller."
It is rated for 11,600lb, took me a while to find the dealer in the next town over that actually had trucks with the MAX tow in it's inventory.
jjdauzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #28

That is what I thought with the 6.2 litre engine and the tow package. That it would be around 11,000lbs. The GM 2019 redesigned 1500 series trucks are bigger than say, a GM 2001 2500HD.

From what I saw I thought these were very impressive and capable trucks. No doubt the frame on the 2019 1500 series trucks is better than the frame on the 2001 2500HD.

Tags
tow, towing, trailer, weight