Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
Just a thought but I have heard of truckers that need a single axle tractor be able to have the change of removing the second axle be done for free or close by letting the shop doing the work have the left over parts for their labor.
That used to be the case ,but the last few years much more difficult to find examples of this on the HDT forums.
It should be a $2500 item in any conversion budget ,if it is resold thats a bonus.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #16

Jayco Owners Club
I'm an owner/operator and have run my own trucking business for several years. Class 8 trucks cost big bucks to maintain and repair.
So do your research and carefully calculate weather the expense is going to be worth it for your intended purposes.
And if you never ridden in a class 8, you might want to take a trip in one before you buy one. Because they are not built for comfort. They are work horses and long trips in them is far from comfort level rides.
It all depends on how much traveling your going to be doing and where you plan on camping. Semi tractors even with single axles are less maneuverable. I know I cant get my Peterbilt in 3 of the state parks I like to go to.
I purchased a Chevy 3500 DWR for the sole purpose of getting a big ass toy hauler. Turns out, if I had the ability to go back in time I would have gotten a 4500 or 5500. Because my mentality of go big or go home has maxed out my Chevy 3500 with the Jayco Siesmic I just bought.
But I did not have the intentions of traveling all over the country. Just a temporary place to stay during the week as my home is 2 hours from my main trucking hub. And to use it for occasional camping at bike events and concert events.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #17

Mine is by far the most comfortable truck I have ever had ,quietest and smoothest with a trailer on.
Upkeep is the same as my F250 brakes same ,tires more but almost life time. I have this conversation a lot with pro truckers ,some have difficulty 'shifting gears' between recreational use and commercial.
I do less miles in a year then a pro does in 3-4 weeks,stuff ready to fail in commercial service will likely never give me trouble.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #18

I like the idea of the 'semi' and the fifth-wheel combo - especially if you are in the trucking business anyway - take your 'home' anywhere easily, and then go to work!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:46 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You tow with a Semi Tractor.. The cab alone won't do the job
Ok that nit picked.. Many do it, I see a lot of 5ERS towed by very slightly modified Semi Tractors. .Here are the mods needed

5th Wheel hitch.. Generally RVers use smaller ones than Semis have,

Brake Controller: RV's trailers usually have electric not air

And that is all folks,, Bit of re-wire on the trailer light connector as well

There is a company called, as I recall Will-Ro.. They used to make a line of Tractors called "Trail-haulers" I have seen several of their tractors, as well as several privately converted, over the years. One RVer not only had her Tractor converted to tow her 5ER but.. She had it converted to use as a RV itself (Sleeper cab with added features) and yes I said SHE.

But if you research the Company or even contact them (The company Will-Ro is still there) they may be able to provide info. or even a Tractor.

A lot of theirs were "Mini-Peterbuilts" (Peter built made a smaller tractor for the 28 foot local delivery trailer circuit these can easily haul 40 feet of 5ER no sweat..)
Old 01-08-2017, 02:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I like the idea of the 'semi' and the fifth-wheel combo - especially if you are in the trucking business anyway - take your 'home' anywhere easily, and then go to work!
That is a really bad idea, most of these 'conversions' are re titled motorhome,signage is usually displayed along the lines"R.V. not for hire" or something along those lines.Duel use would be very expensive, the hitch alone needs to be switched, air lines, they are even wired different re trailer lights.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #21

right, but that seem much cheaper and more efficient than owning another tow vehicle
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:21 PM   #22

Many of the folks that use a class 8 truck as a RV tow vehicle are usually fulltimers, or long termers.... on the road 4-5 months at a time. Most of us have 5th wheels that are heavier than normal.
My Volvo, with the setback front axle and 55-degree wheel cut, will turn inside any 3500 dually and some 45-5500 dualies. It all depends on the truck.
Today 2016-2017, there are pick-up trucks from the big 3 companies that are capable of towing most all 5th wheels built today, but as the RV weight increases, you still have a "Residental" vehicle doing a commercial vehicles job.
There is a variety of brake controllers and trailer brake systems available. Most run of the mill RV's have electric brakes. You can get hydraulic disc brakes usually as aftermarket or on higher end units. These are normally powered by standard controllers, but there is a system, Blue Dot, that converts air pressure to hydraulic pressure. Custom units can be equipped with commercial style air brakes. There are controllers that take the air pressure applied to the brakes in a semi and convert it to an electrical signal. Hayes markets such a controller. There are also brake controllers that tie into a semi's ECM, Direct Link, that work great with the newer computer controlled heavy trucks.
Our truck rides better loaded and unloaded than our Dodge ever did. With air ride suspension, air ride cab, and air ride seats, there are no sharp jolts, and you never feel any chucking.
An HDT is not for everyone, though. But for the folks that decide to go this route usually enjoy it.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #23

Quote:
If you have a commercially registered truck, then no matter what you hook to it, you're still commercial. Medical cards, drivers hours, bill of laden all apply.

But if you take 1 truck, and do an honest conversion and re-register it as a private truck or motor home then your OK. Most states have a list of items that have to be followed for a "Conversion". Some states only have a Farm truck status or private truck, others will convert it to a motorhome.

The main difference is that my truck cannot do anything that regards commerce. I cannot move, carry, or do anything that I receive any form of payment, reward, trophy, commercial advancement etc.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #24

Thanks for all the feedback!

We really appreciate all your feedback! We are still researching. My husband is pretty determined to go the HDT 5er route. I have been watching you tubevideos, reading blogs, talking to my truck driver friends, downloaded the California DMV handbook, so we are definitely learning that way. We have an RV show going on near us that we hope toho tobegire the 16th so we can look at what theyhave too. We have a couple years to prepare but I am anxious to learn all I can! I especially want to know I can drive obe of these hings! Ha! I am hapoy to hear all viewpoints that will help us in our decsion, especially like links to good info too. Thanks again! (I niw know that I call the HDT a tractor-not a semi cab :-)
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:24 AM   #25

MKOwen, HERE is a decent deal for an HDT and a trailer. There is also an HDT forum there that has some very well educated and experienced people that can assist you too! Here is a great resource for you to spend some time reading: http://www.hhrvresource.com/
Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #26

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Hope you like the idea of 6-8 mpg in a class 8. Because that's about the best your going to get. And the trucks '08 and up all have the added expense of DEF and are in the shop twice as much because the manufacturers have yet to work out all the problems with the new emission controls.

Just some food for thought.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post
Hope you like the idea of 6-8 mpg in a class 8. Because that's about the best your going to get. And the trucks '08 and up all have the added expense of DEF and are in the shop twice as much because the manufacturers have yet to work out all the problems with the new emission controls.

Just some food for thought.
I get 9+ regularly, and since I buy in the cheapest state and fill 4 times a year my 'cost per mile is less then my old 7.3 .

next
Old 01-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #28

We wanted to do exactly what you are talking about. The "ONLY" reason we did'nt, is that we do a lot of winter driving/camping and some offroad.... so, we needed a 4 wheel drive. Do your research in the HDT sections. There are many plusses to the HDT's. Singled-out, with a heavy steel bed added offerrs more weight on drivers(also if built with sealed boxes offers additional storage, and a place to mount you generator giving you more storage in your 5er) as 5th wheels have very little tongue weight, superior ride and comfort as compared to a pick up truck, massive brakes( which will stop your rv,should you loose rv brakes),with your light(comparatively speaking) load- the drive train should last forever, and if you go with a small displacement engine and a fairly high gear ratio- your fuel mileage will probably equal or exceed that of a heavily loaded pick-up. These are but a few of the advantages. As mentioned though, rules change from state to state pertaining to registration and insurance. Here in Wy. it was pretty much a "big" pick up truck! Good Luck on your decision! memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing