Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 11:45 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What cumminsfan said------
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2021, 01:51 AM   #16

I have my CDL-A and still drive for work on a pretty regular basis. Taking wide turns is just how things have to be. My trucks aren't as long as most 'van' trailers, we have mostly dump trailers, but only about 45' overall length.
one thing to remember driving a 5ver is that you do indeed have to watch the off track going around turns. You do as well with a TT, though not to the same degree. You just have to learn to use the 'space' in front of the white Stop line that most everyone ignores. I must admit that I take a certain amount of 'glee' when some clueless 4 wheeler 'driver' gets the 'deer in a headlight' face when I Have to swing my rig wide to make a 'tight' turn. If they're over the line, I of course allow for that when I make the turn, but it's satisfying to have that teaching moment . I once had a cop tell a whole line of cars that were over the line to back up when I was making a turn off of Comm-Ave in a Boston suburb. I needed every inch of the opposite lane to bend my tractor with sleeper, and a 53' trailer around the corner. I had the tandems pulled as far forward as possible ( to make the trailer tow 'shorter'. the tail had a pretty major overhang, but it was the only way to get in to that customer.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
When I was picking my rig back in the early 90ís I chose 5th wheel. The hitch does take up the bed, but itís easy to hook up.

Well yes a 5er hitch does take some space in the bed of the TV, BUT most 5ers have large basements that mean the stuff you need to load into the bed of the TV every trip with a TT, can now be carried in the basement of the 5er and remain there between trips.
I still carry a fair amount of stuff in the bed. I have a rail height tool box, and put our kindling tote in the bed, carry a 30# and 30# propane tank, some fire wood, and a bug tent.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #18

I had a storage box in the nose of my bed, which carried some of my photography gear, the rest of the bed was empty. I was traveling for work, so I didn't haul around a lot of firewood etc...
It was basically a rolling apartment that I live out of. This was pre-cell phone days. I read a Lot of books back then.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:46 AM   #19

Books are heavy...

Remember anything you put in that big front basement storage will add weight to the truck. Just what the OP does not want.

Agree the OP needs a 5th wheel with a GVWR of about 10,000lbs. This 5th wheel will put 2,000lbs on the truck.

They make very nice 3 slide 5th wheels with two oppsing slides in the living area which really makes the living area nice. In the bedroom they will have a wardrobe slide with the bed being north/south.

The OP could look at travel trailers with that same configuration. Opposing slides in the living area and a wardrobe slide in the bedroom. Look at Rockwood Signature or Flagstaff Classic travel trailers. These are very nice travel trailers that have slide toppers and other nice features.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Let me just say this, as I have had both...TT and now a 5ver. IF....IF the travel trailer has a large enough truck towing it...and IF you have a good W.D. hitch and properly setup, the travel trailer will tow pretty good. But the fact that it is still hitched up "behind" the truck, makes it more prone to having movement that is not desirable.

The fifth wheel camping trailer, because the pin weight is normally over (or within an inch or two) of the rear axle, does not have the ability to move around as much as a Tow Behind. Generally speaking, the 5vers are more steady than a Tow Behind.

The one downside, and I say that somewhat hesitantly, is that when turning, a 5ver will track to the inside of the turn somewhat more than a tow behind...but you will soon learn to keep an eye on that to avoid issues.
This exactly. I've had both and prefer a 5th wheel for the difference in towing. It does turn a bit different but you get used to that pretty quickly.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing