Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #1

Towing a TT vs 5th wheel

Years ago (I was much younger) we had a 29' TT. I remember the swaying and stress with pulling it. Wondering if there is much of a difference between pulling a TT and a 5th wheel (29-32') where the tow vehicle is adequate and the trailer is properly loaded. After driving all day, am I going to be glad I have a 5th wheel or will I know any difference.
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubmaster View Post
Years ago (I was much younger) we had a 29' TT. I remember the swaying and stress with pulling it. Wondering if there is much of a difference between pulling a TT and a 5th wheel (29-32') where the tow vehicle is adequate and the trailer is properly loaded. After driving all day, am I going to be glad I have a 5th wheel or will I know any difference.
Let me just say this, as I have had both...TT and now a 5ver. IF....IF the travel trailer has a large enough truck towing it...and IF you have a good W.D. hitch and properly setup, the travel trailer will tow pretty good. But the fact that it is still hitched up "behind" the truck, makes it more prone to having movement that is not desirable.

The fifth wheel camping trailer, because the pin weight is normally over (or within an inch or two) of the rear axle, does not have the ability to move around as much as a Tow Behind. Generally speaking, the 5vers are more steady than a Tow Behind.

The one downside, and I say that somewhat hesitantly, is that when turning, a 5ver will track to the inside of the turn somewhat more than a tow behind...but you will soon learn to keep an eye on that to avoid issues.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:17 AM   #3

When I was picking my rig back in the early 90’s I chose 5th wheel. The hitch does take up the bed, but it’s easy to hook up.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:21 AM   #4

At some point, it makes more sense to go 5er and it definitely tows better. Personally, I'd consider a fifth wheel over a TT if the TT length was going to get longer than 27-28' OAL

2 cents,
Dave
Old 08-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #5

Either unit when pulled by a property weight vehicle should work fine. If you are pushing the tow vehicle limits with either type of trailer you will not be happy with the experience.

I have always had a 1 ton dually and pulling a 27' trailer without a WDH was never a problem for me.

With that said I much prefer 5th wheel for a wide variety of reasons. For me they pull much better overall. You get much more space for the same amount of length.

My favorite so far is my current set up (not for everyone) and that is a 5th wheel but my hitch is mounted behind my axles. I get the ride/space/experience of a 5th wheel and the tracking/turning of a TT.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Let me just say this, as I have had both...TT and now a 5ver. IF....IF the travel trailer has a large enough truck towing it...and IF you have a good W.D. hitch and properly setup, the travel trailer will tow pretty good. But the fact that it is still hitched up "behind" the truck, makes it more prone to having movement that is not desirable.

The fifth wheel camping trailer, because the pin weight is normally over (or within an inch or two) of the rear axle, does not have the ability to move around as much as a Tow Behind. Generally speaking, the 5vers are more steady than a Tow Behind.

The one downside, and I say that somewhat hesitantly, is that when turning, a 5ver will track to the inside of the turn somewhat more than a tow behind...but you will soon learn to keep an eye on that to avoid issues.
THIS^^^^^^

Yes the 5vr tracks inside during turns so you have to 'wait' a bit before making turn (swing a little wider)
But I found the 5vr so much easier to back up & tow vs TT
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #7

Humm - I experience both on a 975 mile trip. I towed a 5,500lb travel trailer from Columbus Ohio to Crystal River Florida with a F-150. This was a very easy, uneventful trip.

While in Florida I traded that travel trailer on a 5th wheel. I towed that 5th wheel 975 miles from Crystal River Florida back to Columbus Ohio with a dually truck. That trip was very easy, and uneventful.

I towed both at the highway speed of 70 - 72 mph.

My F-150 towing and the dually truck towing were the same. So if you have the right truck towing will not be an issue with either one.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. My previous TT was 29' and we pulled it with a 2500 Surban 2wh drive with a 454. We traveled it in from Atlanta to Canada and New England with 2 kids for 2 months and had plenty of room. Both kids are on their own and now it's time to hit the road again. I guess we will look for a smaller 5th wheel that we can pull with a properly sized 2500. Really don't want a dully and trying to stay away from diesel if possible. There is a Forest River 25DRL4 Arctic Wolf not too far from us that might work. An older class c would be less money but I'm thinking we can buy a newer truck use it for my daily driver and if I buy it right (I know now is the wrong time to try and do that) it should cost less to own over the long term.
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I guess we will look for a smaller 5th wheel that we can pull with a properly sized 2500. Really don't want a dully and trying to stay away from diesel if possible. There is a Forest River 25DRL4 Arctic Wolf not too far from us that might work.
I would strongly consider a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton. Similar price, same body size (handling/parking/etc) same drivability yet the 1 ton has much more substantial ratings for hauling a 5th wheel.

You would be amazed how quick you run out of capacity on a 3/4 ton. The are lots of threads on that subject on this website.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
I say these somewhat flippantly - but....what Trailer? Only way I know my 5th wheel is back there is if I look in the mirrors (and the throttle position of course).

Smooth, stable, doesn't react to wind - there is really no contest - especially with shorter 5th wheels. My guess is the 41' jobs probably sway a bit more in the wind, but my 32' 16k trailer simply doesn't

There is a lot of reasons going to a TT makes sense for my family now we're no longer full timing, but they can pry my 5th wheel out of my cold hands.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #11

I've towed both. And at one point owned both a TT and a 5er and towed with the same truck. Hands down the 5er was better. I don't care if the TT tows as well it's just easier owning a 5er.
Not getting into all the 5th hitch takes up bed space of too many steps in a 5er stuff. I'm just say that I'm about 50/50 in towing both as far as years go.

I do however now own a TT. I went with a TT because of the brand and because I got more bang for the buck. Every time I tow I miss the 5er.

The things I like best about a 5er is the hitching/unhitching, the front storage areas and the fact that when hitched up I can walk between the truck and trailer to get to the other side.
If you still go TT I would look for the best and easiest WDH to use.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
and the fact that when hitched up I can walk between the truck and trailer to get to the other side.
I had never though about this So many times I have made that mental calculation- jump over the hitch or walk around the truck. Sure would be nice to not do that.

I suppose I would still have to duck, though.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #13

Towing a 5th wheel is a bit nerve wracking once you get off the highway and now on back roads with tree branches and low hanging wires.

I found the 5th wheel easier to back but also found you have to make wide turns or else you will hit the curb with the 5th wheel tires.

I do like the 5th wheel upstairs bedroom. I just like that separation.

I never liked the 5th wheel hitch taking up a lot of the trucks bed. Also did not like moving that heavy and clumsy 5th wheel hitch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I never liked the 5th wheel hitch taking up a lot of the trucks bed. Also did not like moving that heavy and clumsy 5th wheel hitch.
That is why many of us have moved to non-traditional hitches like the Goosebox, Get Y or even Anderson.

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing