Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 06:34 AM   #1
Val

Towing behind 5er

Question: Does anyone know the rules for towing a small car behind a 5th wheel? I have a 2017 F250 Super Duty and haul a 38' Jayco Pinnacle. I have seen people towing boats and other small trailers behind them so was wondering if there are any specific limits....or maybe where to look for those limits. Thanks for any words of advice.
Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #2

I don't have any first hand experience but there are numerous articles online. The legality varies state-by-state and is pretty much prohibited in the eastern portion of the US. Some states require special license endorsements. Unlike with some restrictions, states do not honor the regs of your "home" state. Here's a recent article to get you started:

https://www.rvtravel.com/tripletowing990/

When Googling "RV triple towing", limit your search to recent articles since things change.

Keep in mind that, when towing a vehicle 4-down with a tow bar, you can't back up safely, even for a short distance. You must also consider the combined weights of your 5th wheel and your "small car" vs. the safe towing capacity of your tow vehicle.

My cousin's son does it to tow a small fishing boat or ATV trailer but he owns an excavating company and is skilled in hauling large equipment around. Would I do it, no.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, the legality will vary state by state. Even if you are legal in your home state, you must obey the laws in the states that you travel through.

Another issue is will the total weight be beyond your trucks towing limits? Then you have the frame and hitch weight rating on the back of the trailer. And then you have requirements for brakes and a break away system on the towed car.

And it is double towing, not triple.

Personally, I would not attempt to tow a car behind my 5er.

Ken
Old 09-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

I will say it - if you are towing a 38' Jayco Pinnacle with a little F-250 that is probably all that truck can handle. If you look at the numbers you are already overloaded.

Did you ever get your full rig weighed? If not, I suggest you do.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #5

I'm sorry I don't have something more helpful to say than this, but I wouldn't have the nerve whatsoever to try that - and that's regardless of the laws or whoever else is doing it.
Traygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #6

In addition to some states not allowing it, such as Oregon where we live, states that do have length restrictions. California for example is 65’. I suspect you’ll be close, or over depending upon the length of your truck and bed configuration.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

And it is double towing, not triple.

Ken

Depends on where one is. Some states define it as Double Tow/Some states define it as Triple Tow....one and the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I will say it - if you are towing a 38' Jayco Pinnacle with a little F-250 that is probably all that truck can handle. If you look at the numbers you are already overloaded.

Did you ever get your full rig weighed? If not, I suggest you do.
MAX'd out/overloaded----YES!
Scales will answer that question
*Depending on year/model of that 38' Jayco it could be 16k-18k GVWR

Add another vehicle behind that and most definitely over.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

AND good luck getting gas at the local 7-11.
You will even have to be real careful at the big truck stops...........
Old 09-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

Double and triple are not the same. 2 trailers or 3.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Double and triple are not the same. 2 trailers or 3.
Agree, in the west they have mini land trains, short wheelbase semi pulling three trailers, usually about 30’ each, banner on the back long load!
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:49 PM   #11

when it relates to RVs it is double/triple towing...one and the same

Tow vehicle/5th wheel/trailer-vehicle-cart etc

Not talking about 'commercial towing'
Old 09-27-2021, 05:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
when it relates to RVs it is double/triple towing...one and the same

Tow vehicle/5th wheel/trailer-vehicle-cart etc

Not talking about 'commercial towing'
Confusing but true. For some odd reason the term triple towing has become the common term in the RV world for a vehicle towing two trailers, not double towing, which, to me is more logical. I guess because it involves three vehicles. Nonetheless, it's an endless debate that occupies many threads on many RV forums.

Debating it again here doesn't help the OP.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:32 AM   #13

I would have to ask the O.P. what the goal is. If this is a one-shot deal...moving for example, or if the idea is to have a smaller vehicle to drive around town with. Honestly, it makes for an overcomplicated affair which will likely be unstable, illegal in many places and not fun to haul around.

There are likely better options to attain the goal. Driving a larger vehicle around is not an issue once you get used to it.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Confusing but true. For some odd reason the term triple towing has become the common term in the RV world for a vehicle towing two trailers, not double towing, which, to me is more logical. I guess because it involves three vehicles. Nonetheless, it's an endless debate that occupies many threads on many RV forums.

Debating it again here doesn't help the OP.
What doesn't help OP is trying to triple tow with a overloaded F250/38' Jayco

Tags
tow, towing