Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2018, 09:38 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyCountr View Post
He just would have hit the two cars in front of them/

Your insurance company lied, it's actually 1 in 8 in California are uninsured

You live in a state with 38 million people and 26.2 million with licenses. Not to mention you seem to have missed the point! He, a licensed driver, REAR ENDED THEM. Apparently following traffic safety laws isn't important to him, the legal, licensed driver.

Removing HIM from the roads would have resulted in two less accidents and kept YOUR rates lower. 39% of all accidents are caused by drunk drivers. Using your logic the bigger problem is the sober 61%. There would be far fewer accidents if THEY weren't allowed to drive. Remove the 61% sober drivers from the road and there would be fewer people for the drunks to run into, greatly reducing collision risks. Good grief!
Good Grief is spot on. There's some assumptions and statements with no citation here.
And I'm gonna try to bring this back on topic

If an illegal driver was not on the road, how could anyone know if an accident would not have been averted?
I'm not discounting a driver that rear ended someone...just speaking to the illegal driver that, like the overweight RV should not be on the road.

And to "grade" a bigger problem of DUI's is irrelevant to this thread.

For the totals, we can easily see how may cars are driving around with expired decals on their plates (they are brightly colored decals) and I will place trust in USAA knowing how many cars are ACTUALLY on the road without proper insurance since their customers are the ones driving around these people.

Finally, I will contest any gov't statistics. Due to lack of or selective enforcement, the great unknown to them is those that shouldn't even be here or even be on the road...just like overweight RV's.

I say, just don't do it.
Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 04:17 PM   #44

This is likely to be considered a faux po by some but you may want to consider the number of illegal alien drivers on the road without insurance because, among other reasons, they have no drivers licenses. (who knows if they or any unlicensed driver is qualified to drive) Sometimes even though the illegal alien has insurance but no license, the insurance company will refuse to pay.

You may want to balance your own comprehensive coverage with this contingency.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
This is likely to be considered a faux po by some but you may want to consider the number of illegal alien drivers on the road without insurance because, among other reasons, they have no drivers licenses. (who knows if they or any unlicensed driver is qualified to drive) Sometimes even though the illegal alien has insurance but no license, the insurance company will refuse to pay.

You may want to balance your own comprehensive coverage with this contingency.
Interesting you call out illegal aliens. We have more problems around here with all American folks with no insurance and have a tendency to hit and run, drive high and drunk and have drugs in the car. So not sure why you are trying to make it about illegal aliens when you are describing this behavior.

And it is Faux pas not Faux po
Old 12-05-2018, 06:51 AM   #46

Good Grief is spot on. There's some assumptions and statements with no citation here. (Actually not, these are all verifiable statistics.)

If an illegal driver was not on the road, how could anyone know if an accident would not have been averted? (The California Highway Patrol, DMV and DOT in California know how many accidents are attributable to illegal drivers because they are the ones that investigate the accidents.)

I'm not discounting a driver that rear ended someone...(but in this case you are) just speaking to the illegal driver that, like the overweight RV should not be on the road.

And to "grade" a bigger problem of DUI's is irrelevant to this thread. (Yes and every bit as ridiculous as your comments, that was the point. That the illegal drivers caused themselves to be rear ended by a tail-gater is ludicris.)

For the totals, we can easily see how may cars are driving around with expired decals on their plates (they are brightly colored decals) and I will place trust in USAA knowing how many cars are ACTUALLY on the road without proper insurance since their customers are the ones driving around these people. (And you know all 12 decal colors? wow, I lived there 35 years and never figured that out. And for some reason, you won't believe the CHP and DMV but you'll believe USAA who insures what 15% of the drivers in California and have their own motives, such as getting you to buy more uninsured motorist insurance?)

Finally, I will contest any gov't statistics. (So that you can make your own assumptions and statements with no citations? Interesting choice of words.)
Due to lack of or selective enforcement, the great unknown to them is those that shouldn't even be here or even be on the road...just like overweight RV's

Illegal drivers, as many have pointed, may just mean their colored sticker hasn't arrived yet in the mail, or they accidentally let their license expire without knowing it. But you seem by your comment "shouldn't even be here" and the fact you live in So. California, to be accusing a specific illegal driver. The ones that only have one vehicle, can't afford to get caught by bringing attention to themselves and normally drive better than the entitled americans who it would appear don't learn from tail-gating once and have to do it again.

I do agree with you that "unlicensed" drivers should not be driving, nor should people be driving overweight RVs. But then in many cases, and only because of certain governors, DMV restrictions caused the unlicensed problem. And to address the other I guess we should just start pulling over every F150 on the road pulling a trailer, knowing that at least half will be illegal and then move up to 5ers and the class A's and C's who it never even occurs to that their overloaded. We had a class C years ago that had way more storage space than it had weight carrying capacity for. Had we filled all the basement storage bays we would have been seriously overloaded. You ever weigh yours?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #47

When I wrote it, I considered it was not PC and a gaffe. I also was well aware of the use of circumstantial ad hominem, poisoning the well, et cetera likely to be used.

My point is not to call out illegal aliens per se, but to point out that most states do not allow them to have a drivers license and therefore they cannot buy legitimate auto insurance, and really have no incentive to buy auto insurance. As the population of illegals continue to rise, the percentage of people driving without insurance continues to rise. Its the arithmetic, not the group.

My unsolicited advice is to rely on your own insurance to cover your own azz rather than relying on the courts to make you whole. Suing either illegal aliens or most else anybody else without insurance ain't gonna get you nowhere.

But for the record, I support only legal immigration. I'm not with the girls and boys who placate people entering the country illegally while leaving the foreign applicants for citizenship standing around waiting with their hands in their pockets.
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:01 PM   #48

I appreciate this entire discussion about towing capacity, and thank all for their input.
DeadGrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote