Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2020, 10:27 AM   #1

Towing Capacity Numbers!

Hey there

I'm looking at buying a truck and trailer. I've seen an amazing deal on a trailer, but I think it's going to be too big for the truck. That's fine and I'm happy to pass on it, however it did bring up the question on how to actually find out the tow capacities before I purchase the truck, can weigh it etc.

I'm looking at a 2015 Expedition as my tow truck. I know the GCWR with my intended setup is 14,900 (looking at HD Trailer Tow Pack only).

I am unable to find the GVWR for the Expedition online which I know will determine the size of the trailer I can drag (GCWR-GVWR[truck] = GVWR[trailer]).

I also think that the payload is around 1,600. We will need around 900lbs on top of the weight of the truck (+75% gas, plus family and dog etc).

Using the hitch weight of around 10%, I think I need to be buying a trailer with a GVWR under 7,000lbs to be within all the specs of the truck.

That brings me to my question - how can I find out it's GVWR and possibly even it's actual weight (with 25% gas and 150lb driver) without actually looking at the truck in person*?

*Normally, I'd go and look at it no problem, but my wife has an underlying health condition and her Dr has drummed social distancing into us both on numerous occasions recently.
MarcoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There should be a sticker in the drivers door jamb that will tell your particular vehicles capacities. All you can do with the charts is get a general idea. It can vary widely based on the option packages on your particular truck. Personally I think a 7000 lb trailer is a little ambitious with an SUV but opinions will vary.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #3

If your planning on towing very many miles the last thing you want it a marginal Tow Vehicle
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milford 47 View Post
If your planning on towing very many miles the last thing you want it a marginal Tow Vehicle
It won't be marginal because we won't get near the GVWR for the trailer as we won't travel with that much stuff.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
There should be a sticker in the drivers door jamb that will tell your particular vehicles capacities. All you can do with the charts is get a general idea. It can vary widely based on the option packages on your particular truck.
Ok - so you can't get a complete picture without looking at the sticker. I'll see if I can get the seller to send me a photo of the sticker.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #6

You can get close by using google to search for the truck towing specifications.

One example -

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2013/d...ammlup3500.pdf
Old 06-10-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoMatt View Post
It won't be marginal because we won't get near the GVWR for the trailer as we won't travel with that much stuff.
Famous last words!
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoMatt View Post
I am unable to find the GVWR for the Expedition online...
It's online, but needs more detail. Is it the regular Expedition or the EL (extra long). What trim (XL, XLT, King Ranch, Platinum or Limited)? 4x4 or 4x2?

Assuming EL, XLT, 4x4 with tow pkg and auxiliary fuel tank, here's one source for towing weight specs:
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2015...-XLT-4WD/Specs

Max tow rating is 6,600, GVWR is 7720, and payload is 1,617

Different trim levels and options will change the weight specs. So use that website and input the specs for the tow vehicle you are considering.

Quote:
... which I know will determine the size of the trailer I can drag (GCWR-GVWR[truck] = GVWR[trailer]).
That will tell you the max weight of any TT the drivetrain can pull without holding up traffic on hills and passes, and without overheating anything in the drivetrain, but it will not tell you the max weight of any trailer you can tow without being overloaded. For that you need to know the payload capacity available for hitch weight. if you cannot weigh the wet and loaded tow vehicle, then you are stuck with using WAGs and estimates of weights of passengers and other weights that will be in the tow vehicle when towing. Subtract the weight of everybody and everything that will be in the tow vehicle from the payload of the tow vehicle to get payload capacity available for hitch weight. Divide the payload capacity available for hitch weight by 13% for TTs or 20% for 5ers to get approximate max GVWR Of the trailer you can tow without being overloaded.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Famous last words!
Yep, every undersized truck owner says this. Myself included.

Tags
tow, towing