Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2023, 09:42 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 4
Towing Coleman Lantern 17B with 17 Toyota Highlander?

Bought a Coleman Lantern 17B travel trailer (~3,000lbs), live in CO traveling with my wife and 2 small kids (350lbs total) and normal cooler weekend trip gear, wonít be filling up water until at site. Looking to buy a reliable tow vehicle for around 25k-30k. Will a V6 2017 Toyota Highlander (5,000 tow capacity, 1,400 payload) with tow package work for this? Let me know anyoneís thoughts.
Jack61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2023, 10:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
mistercee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Sun City West, AZ
Posts: 348
I think you are right on the bubble for trailer length...at least according to the attached chart. Wheelbase on the Toyota is 112", trailer length is 21.5'.

Also, for your calculations, keep in mind that the trailer dry weight is not very useful. That trailer's GVWR is 3850, which would make the tongue weight in the neighborhood of 500 lbs @ 13%. This, plus people and gear would put you in the 900-1000 lb range of payload used. I'd double-check the underside of the hitch receiver and see if it has a sticker listing weight restrictions. Ditto goes for that 1400 lbs of payload you mentioned. Is that verified thru the yellow/white door sticker on that specific vehicle? Payload is unique to each vehicle, a lightly equipped Highlander might have 1400 lbs of payload, where a highly optioned one will have a lot less, as it will be much heavier. (Payload = Vehicle Weight subtracted from GVWR)

You will also need to see if the Highlander allows for use of a weight distribution hitch - if you are interested in using one, that is. Some SUVs with unibody construction state in the manual that they should not be used. If the Highlander does allow for one, and you elect to use one, add another 75-100 lbs. to payload used.
Attached Images
 
__________________
2022 Rockwood Signature 8324SB TT, 37.5', 11,115 lb GVWR
2019 Ford F350 CCSB, 6.2L gas, 2WD, 4.30 gears
2020 Keystone Cougar 'Half-Ton' 29RLKWE, 33'.3", 9500 lb GVWR - Sold
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Copperas Cove, Texas
Posts: 123
Towing Coleman Lantern 17B with 17 Toyota Highlander?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack61 View Post
Bought a Coleman Lantern 17B travel trailer (~3,000lbs), live in CO traveling with my wife and 2 small kids (350lbs total) and normal cooler weekend trip gear, wonít be filling up water until at site. Looking to buy a reliable tow vehicle for around 25k-30k. Will a V6 2017 Toyota Highlander (5,000 tow capacity, 1,400 payload) with tow package work for this? Let me know anyoneís thoughts.


Something to think about. The Highlander has a strut type suspension on the rear. Which is not great for carrying weight.
I had a highlander and I towed a 16í casita with it. The highlander had plenty of power to tow it and handled pretty well. But the rear suspension would bottom out a lot while traveling.
I donít remember the year of the highlander, maybe the change the suspension. But if they didnít I would look for a vehicle with leaf or coil springs instead
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	385575
Stableduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 12,240
Why not look for a Ford F-150 with the 2.7 litre Eco-Boost? A crew cab can carry 5 people in comfort without adding up the weight. Plus at higher elevations the Eco-Boost will perform better than a non- turbo engine.

The kids would like riding in a truck vs a SUV. Oh, the F-150 will ride as good as the Highlander IMHO.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:02 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stableduck View Post
Something to think about. The Highlander has a strut type suspension on the rear. Which is not great for carrying weight.
I had a highlander and I towed a 16í casita with it. The highlander had plenty of power to tow it and handled pretty well. But the rear suspension would bottom out a lot while traveling.
I donít remember the year of the highlander, maybe the change the suspension. But if they didnít I would look for a vehicle with leaf or coil springs instead
Attachment 385575
This is interesting and maybe a Toyota 4Runner is a better option.
Jack61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Why not look for a Ford F-150 with the 2.7 litre Eco-Boost? A crew cab can carry 5 people in comfort without adding up the weight. Plus at higher elevations the Eco-Boost will perform better than a non- turbo engine.

The kids would like riding in a truck vs a SUV. Oh, the F-150 will ride as good as the Highlander IMHO.
I've thought a lot about this, I could really use a 3rd row for all other times we're not towing, and even in the trip. Wife thinks the Truck is too tall and can't access anything while driving. So going 3-Row SUV route. I would look into Ford Expedition and other similar large SUV's, I'm nervous about reliability of domestic auto makers and Sequoias are crazy pricey.
Jack61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:11 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
I think you are right on the bubble for trailer length...at least according to the attached chart. Wheelbase on the Toyota is 112", trailer length is 21.5'.

Also, for your calculations, keep in mind that the trailer dry weight is not very useful. That trailer's GVWR is 3850, which would make the tongue weight in the neighborhood of 500 lbs @ 13%. This, plus people and gear would put you in the 900-1000 lb range of payload used. I'd double-check the underside of the hitch receiver and see if it has a sticker listing weight restrictions. Ditto goes for that 1400 lbs of payload you mentioned. Is that verified thru the yellow/white door sticker on that specific vehicle? Payload is unique to each vehicle, a lightly equipped Highlander might have 1400 lbs of payload, where a highly optioned one will have a lot less, as it will be much heavier. (Payload = Vehicle Weight subtracted from GVWR)

You will also need to see if the Highlander allows for use of a weight distribution hitch - if you are interested in using one, that is. Some SUVs with unibody construction state in the manual that they should not be used. If the Highlander does allow for one, and you elect to use one, add another 75-100 lbs. to payload used.
Good point about weight distribution hitch, am open to getting whetever safety mechanisms are available. I agree with this vehicle (and maybe a 4Runenr would be better) seems to line up exactly with towing this trailer, didn't want to miss anything.
Jack61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:16 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack61 View Post
Good point about weight distribution hitch, am open to getting whetever safety mechanisms are available. I agree with this vehicle (and maybe a 4Runenr would be better) seems to line up exactly with towing this trailer, didn't want to miss anything.
Just a thought but 3rd row seating is only available on 2 trim levels in the 4Runner and that 3rd row is going to eat into your payload as well. Not saying it couldn't be an option, but typically higher trim levels also eat into payload sometimes as much as 4-500lbs.

Find a 4Runner optioned to your liking and check the door sticker payload ratings. That could determine how big a trailer (based on tongue weight) that you could comfortably hook up.

Good luck on your search.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:51 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: DFW
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Just a thought but 3rd row seating is only available on 2 trim levels in the 4Runner and that 3rd row is going to eat into your payload as well. Not saying it couldn't be an option, but typically higher trim levels also eat into payload sometimes as much as 4-500lbs.

Find a 4Runner optioned to your liking and check the door sticker payload ratings. That could determine how big a trailer (based on tongue weight) that you could comfortably hook up.

Good luck on your search.
Not sure what Toyota does for 3rd row seating on the 4Runner, but my 2001 Tahoe was an early SUV with the 3rd row seating (without going to the Suburban or maybe a Ford Expedition/Excursion.)

On my Tahoe, GM beefed up the payload capacity to handle the 3rd row seating over versions without the 3rd row seating options. How do I know, the rear brake rotor and pads were larger, had 2 sizes that year. Since I think they pretty much all come with 3rd row seating now, I guess there is only one payload.

For grins, I checked the 2022 Tahoe specs. You can get a payload anywhere from 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on engine, of course the door label may take a hit based on the trim and options. Tow capacity ranges from 7600 to 8400 pounds, with the highest value coming with the 5.3L V8 that has higher specs than the 6.2L gasser or 3.0L diesel.

When I look at these values for a Tahoe, a pretty capable SUV, I worry about what a crossover SUV would be able to handle. Suburban numbers were slightly less, but similar.
__________________
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500
Forest River Wildwood XLite 263BHXL
carybosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Not sure what Toyota does for 3rd row seating on the 4Runner, but my 2001 Tahoe was an early SUV with the 3rd row seating (without going to the Suburban or maybe a Ford Expedition/Excursion.)

On my Tahoe, GM beefed up the payload capacity to handle the 3rd row seating over versions without the 3rd row seating options. How do I know, the rear brake rotor and pads were larger, had 2 sizes that year. Since I think they pretty much all come with 3rd row seating now, I guess there is only one payload.

For grins, I checked the 2022 Tahoe specs. You can get a payload anywhere from 1600 to 1800 pounds depending on engine, of course the door label may take a hit based on the trim and options. Tow capacity ranges from 7600 to 8400 pounds, with the highest value coming with the 5.3L V8 that has higher specs than the 6.2L gasser or 3.0L diesel.

When I look at these values for a Tahoe, a pretty capable SUV, I worry about what a crossover SUV would be able to handle. Suburban numbers were slightly less, but similar.
A bigger issue with an SUV may be fuel tank size. Our son pulls his small 17' TT with his Honda Ridgeline and he's pretty much looking for gas as soon as he pulls out of the driveway! He's done with the Ridgeline and is shopping for an F-150 with the big 36g tank like I have on my truck.

He had no issues with how the Ridgeline handled his trailer just got fed up hauling 2 jerry cans of gas, just so he could make it to the next gas station.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 12,240
I would not worry too much about reliability as all reliability IMHO has improved. I know people the love the GM products as well as Ford and Ram.

I had a Honda Accord that was more trouble than a older Mercury car that I had. Also a Mitsubishi was less trouble.

I gravitate to Ford products personally.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:42 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 12,240
In 2024 Toyota is going to build a 'Grand Highlander'. You see that yet? It looks bigger with more room in the 3rd seat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:00 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
ArtJoyce's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Posts: 3,094
Just make sure it has the tow package to get the 5k tow capability. Highlander started having only one of the highlanders trim packages having the tow package of 5k back 2010.. Otherwize it had a much lower capability.

I towed 3023 traillmanor for years with a 2012 highlander using a 600 lbs WDH. It worked well.
__________________
Art & Joyce
Thornville, OH
Kia Soul pushing a 36' DP Endeavor
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coleman, tow, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lantern :: 2021 Coleman Lantern 17B kart45 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 06-24-2020 09:30 AM
Towing a 2015 Toyota Highlander V-6 AWD crabbich Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 0 01-28-2016 12:22 PM
Towing with a Toyota Highlander chazhistry Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 6 02-02-2015 06:29 PM
Towing with a Toyota Highlander chazhistry iRV2.com General Discussion 1 01-29-2015 09:16 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.