Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
I didn’t think Maryland allowed doubles. What are the restrictions?

Doubles (triples) are not allowed in Maryland! Pretty much either Eastern or Western coastal states don't allow double towing.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws

I would suggest to check other web sites to verify a particular rule is consistent. Like the trailer length limit of 35'?? I have found the Maryland "triple tow restriction" to be consistent on different sites.

Maryland

• Total length: 55' (65' for travel trailers and boat transports)
  • Trailer Length: 35'
  • Trailer Width: 8' 6" (excluding safety equip.)
  • Motor Home Length: 40' (45' on Interstates)
  • Motor Home Width: 8' 6" (excluding safety equip. & retractable awnings)
  • Height: 13' 6"
  • Triple towing is not allowed
Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch required if weight of trailer exceeds 40% of the tow-vehicle weight, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs. Gross weight of trailer requiring brakes, 3000 pounds. Wipers/lights on when conditions require.
Passengers may ride in fifth wheels, travel trailers or truck campers. Overnight parking is "as posted" in state rest areas.
LP Gas is prohibited on I-95 tunnels of Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry. Alternate route for RVs with propane is over the Francis Scott Key Bridge on I-695.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Doubles (triples) are not allowed in Maryland! Pretty much either Eastern or Western coastal states don't allow double towing.

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws

I would suggest to check other web sites to verify a particular rule is consistent. Like the trailer length limit of 35'?? I have found the Maryland "triple tow restriction" to be consistent on different sites.

Maryland

• Total length: 55' (65' for travel trailers and boat transports)
  • Trailer Length: 35'
  • Trailer Width: 8' 6" (excluding safety equip.)
  • Motor Home Length: 40' (45' on Interstates)
  • Motor Home Width: 8' 6" (excluding safety equip. & retractable awnings)
  • Height: 13' 6"
  • Triple towing is not allowed
Required Equipment: Safety chain, breakaway switch required if weight of trailer exceeds 40% of the tow-vehicle weight, fire extinguisher in RV, flares or reflective signs. Gross weight of trailer requiring brakes, 3000 pounds. Wipers/lights on when conditions require.
Passengers may ride in fifth wheels, travel trailers or truck campers. Overnight parking is "as posted" in state rest areas.
LP Gas is prohibited on I-95 tunnels of Baltimore Harbor and Fort McHenry. Alternate route for RVs with propane is over the Francis Scott Key Bridge on I-695.
If that’s the case the post I quoted previously is incorrect.
And also, technically speaking my trailer is illegal in Maryland. As it’s over the length posted.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #87

Quote:
And also, technically speaking my trailer is illegal in Maryland. As it’s over the length posted.

Which post might that be, #28? Just because you see it on the roads, doesn't make it legal. Same as speeding and rolling through a stop sign, it's done all the time.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Which post might that be, #28? Just because you see it on the roads, doesn't make it legal. Same as speeding and rolling through a stop sign, it's done all the time.
No, the post I quoted. Posts #79 and #82 say it’s legal in Maryland.
The photo I attached in post #28 was taken in Delaware, where I know it’s not legal.
The whole reason I started this thread was because this is something I see frequently and know it’s not legal.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #89

From an *engineering* standpoint (not concerned with any individual state statute at the moment) - is your intermediate vehicle designed, rated and placarded by the manufacturer to be used in that manner?

If not, my experience is that you have defeated the designed-in safety of the frame/unibody. Just because it hasn't failed is no indication that it will not fail... and whose butt is on the line when such things happen?

This thread brought back some George Carlin memories:

Old 09-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
From an *engineering* standpoint (not concerned with any individual state statute at the moment) - is your intermediate vehicle designed, rated and placarded by the manufacturer to be used in that manner?

If not, my experience is that you have defeated the designed-in safety of the frame/unibody. Just because it hasn't failed is no indication that it will not fail... and whose butt is on the line when such things happen?
Just because it wasn't designed, rated, and placarded by the manufacturer to be used in that manner is no indication that it will fail. Not proving that something won't fail isn't a demonstration that it will. And I say that as someone who has to determine what will and won't cause failures in oil refineries and chemical plants all over the country for a living. "Well you didn't prove that it won't fail!" is never a reason to think it will fail.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:15 PM   #91

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I've been all over the country towing a Swivel Wheel, including places that it's apparently illegal, and never got a second look from law enforcement. I think most RV's get a pass from law enforcement unless doing something really egregious.
What I have read in the past is a swivel wheel is not a trailer but an extension of the vehicle because it is connected at 2 points and doesn't pivot but instead moves with the vehicle.
Tahiti16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #92

Yep... But a few states, Oregon being one of them, say it's double towing.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:27 PM   #93

Quote:
Yep... But a few states, Oregon being one of them, say it's double towing.

So is a bumper platform considered double towing, once it has a support wheel?
Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #94

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen 3 View Post
Are sure it's illegal in Canada? That would be a provincial responsibility. I believe it's perfectly legal in Alberta. In fact I had assumed that the motivation for buying a fifth wheel unit was to be able to tow a boat or a quad trailer. It's less common now that so many large trailers have compartments for quads and motorcycles.
I had to read his post the second time. He said it is legal except in BC.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting thing is that Newmar is in Indiana. There is a really good trailer manufacturing business right beside them.

So if you buy a 43' motorhome and a 20' trailer you are not legally able to take them out of the state. The maximum length of a vehicle and trailer is 60'.

We picked up our trailer there. I put the length of the unit(s) into the GPS and it refused to let us plan a route until I changed the length to less than 60'.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:53 PM   #96

Swivel wheel

Quote:
I've been all over the country towing a Swivel Wheel, including places that it's apparently illegal, and never got a second look from law enforcement. I think most RV's get a pass from law enforcement unless doing something really egregious.
You could argue the point that a swivel wheel is an extension of your 5er.I also have a swivel wheel.On highway 2 in superior wi. on summer weekends there is a solid stream of 5ers with boats in tow.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #97

yes in ns..5th only. no in nb.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #98

The information on rv trip wizard is not accurate. The fact that they refer to doubles as triple towing should be the first clue to the misinformation provided. You need to check with each state you plan to travel in to know if pulling doubles is allowed.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing