Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 12:52 AM   #57

Nobody has mentioned this but with a 52' fifth wheel you will be restricted on the RV parks and campgrounds that you will be able to get that thing into.
wanderer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
It's not that we don't want you to have a super large rig, we just don't want you making a coslty mistake simply because you have a very highly trained sales rep who knows how to choose the deal by giving you that "special" feeling of being taken well care of. If the rep tells you "we can easily upgrade your trailer to 10k axles" that's a big warning sign to stay away from them as it means they would gladly sell you a rig with underrated axles if you didn't say anything! Their specs speek for themselves. To give you a comparison, we own a 8500lb travel trailer and it came with dual 6000lb axles. Your trailer is 3-4 times heavier.

This is how I would ask the sales person: "I just wanted to make sure that my trailer does indeed have 3 6000lb axles and not 2?".... This will call him out if he thinks 3 6000lb axles is enough (which it clearly isn't)

I can see where the problem exists. It's very hard to find a two bedroom Front living Fiver with a bunkhouse and a 1/2 bathroom.

I think it would be a good choice to either ask for customer references or visit their manufacturing plant if you still consider the custom brand you are looking at.

Remember, custom and cheap dont mix well. What you are looking at spending will not get you high end (quality) and custom together.
I absolutely think you are correct. Kind of my way of thinking is... There are thousands of fifth wheel owners on this forum, and no one has even heard of them. I want something that is going to last with regular upkeep and maintenance. I can't afford to have my 'house' in the repair shop 4-5 times a year. I'll keep looking, and definitely check out space craft. thanks so much for all of your help! It's so nice to have informed people to bounce things off of. You all are great!!
JRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You may also want to ask them about upgrades to the 5 cubic foot refrigerator they offer. Two people couldn't survive more than a couple of days with a refrigerator that small. They also don't spec out air conditioners. A 52' RV would need at least three 15000 BTU units, if not four, to get a meager R-7 insulated RV cool.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:42 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
You may also want to ask them about upgrades to the 5 cubic foot refrigerator they offer. Two people couldn't survive more than a couple of days with a refrigerator that small. They also don't spec out air conditioners. A 52' RV would need at least three 15000 BTU units, if not four, to get a meager R-7 insulated RV cool.
I noticed the 5cu ft refer. Crazy. Yeah, cooling a beast like that would almost be impossible if it is setup in the south anywhere. Heating would also be an issue. Honestly, their units look to be budget oil field type units for people who need a specific interior layout but don't want to spend the money on a higher end unit.
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #61

Smokey,
8k axles are readily available, and are already on most of the high-end trailers. 3x8k would give 24k axle rating, allowing somewhere around a 30k gross. Dexter told me that a 9k axle and above required dual wheels.
I upgraded everything under my fiver to 8k status for somewhere around $4K total.
But the sticker still says 16000 GVWR...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:00 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Smokey,
8k axles are readily available, and are already on most of the high-end trailers. 3x8k would give 24k axle rating, allowing somewhere around a 30k gross. Dexter told me that a 9k axle and above required dual wheels.
I upgraded everything under my fiver to 8k status for somewhere around $4K total.
But the sticker still says 16000 GVWR...
Joe
Sticker still says 16k...well you need an engineer or the frame mfg to give green light that the frame will hold the weight. In other words just because you upgraded the axels does not mean the frame and pin box area will hold additional weight.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:29 AM   #63

Ah, well, there was nothing different on the 17.5k rated fivers of my year from the 16k rating except the running gear--no frame beef up/no pin box beefup, and after probably 60000 miles towing, it is still holding together.
I believe I have everything done that the 17.5k rated models had from the factory.
But not the sticker...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:10 PM   #64

I would be interested in total length ,a few states have a limit of less then 65' for RVer's
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #65

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Also what is the power required I have never seen more then one 50amp and or one 30amp at a campground. At marina's I have seen two 30amp and two 50amp in a slip.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #66

JRinger- You and spouse need to attend the Tampa RV show this January. It will give you plenty of options for your travels.
I'm thinking that you may not realize how long 53' is. It's the size of most older mobile homes you see in Florida retirement parks. To move that much weight safely you will need a big truck. As in a semi tractor converted to pull a rv.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
JRinger- You and spouse need to attend the Tampa RV show this January. It will give you plenty of options for your travels.
I'm thinking that you may not realize how long 53' is. It's the size of most older mobile homes you see in Florida retirement parks. To move that much weight safely you will need a big truck. As in a semi tractor converted to pull a rv.

^^^this^^^

Our fiver is 41' from kingpin to the back, and we've had a couple spots that needed extra caution to maneuver. This was in the campground's "big-rig" sites too. Not to sound conceded, but I have a considerable amount of experience spotting(guiding)/backing up semi-trucks, so getting a longer trailer was of no concern to me. I forget how much experience OP mentioned having with fivers, but 53' is a loooonnnng trailer, and might be quite the challenge to place (assuming you can even find a campground where it will fit.)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Ah, well, there was nothing different on the 17.5k rated fivers of my year from the 16k rating except the running gear--no frame beef up/no pin box beefup, and after probably 60000 miles towing, it is still holding together.
I believe I have everything done that the 17.5k rated models had from the factory.
But not the sticker...
In your application that's probably true...but one should be careful making a broad statement like that. Some people could read that and take it as gospel that if they just up the axel ratings they can up there gvwr.

And don't just believe you have one must know for sure. That's like telling the cop you believe you were sober while he a rests you for a dwi
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #69

I am retired and owned my own rig for 35 yrs . I have pulled 53 ft trls for years and unless you enjoy being miserable towing a heavy trl around and having nitemares as to the road you can travel and Rv sites you can get into you should just dump the idea of a trl that long. The axles will be way forward and when you pivot in a tight spot the rear of the trl will come around and wipe things out behind you. . I gurantee you will regret ever buying something that big unless you have a permanent spot to put it in. Do yourself and your wife a favor and go look at 5th wheels that you will enjoy to pull and be happy living in.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with jacknife. After towing a 43' FW for 18K mi, I can't imagine towing one 10' longer. I was 61' bumper to bumper. The "tail whip" factor alone could get you in trouble and unless you pull it with a semi-tractor, you would be illegal in many states.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing