Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2019, 03:03 AM   #15

Thanks everybody! I almost committed to the vehicle yesterday but after reading your comments I realized one has to give either the practically the gifted trailer or my hopes for an SUV. Starting a new thread maybe I can find out what this particular vehicle can actually haul. Thanks again.
NHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHenderson View Post
maybe I can find out what this particular vehicle can actually haul. Thanks again.
Keeping all the numbers in the green, my 2019 Expedition Max, Limited, 4x4, HD tow, no sunroof will pull 7,053# TT with the wife and I in the truck and assuming 100# for the hitch. For us, the 930# receiver is the limiter. If we had more folks, payload would be the limiter.

The truck has 1,719# of payload. That comes down fast when you add folks & gear. I also opted not to get the sunroof as it takes up too much headroom, but that is probably roughly 200# heavier than the aluminum roof. That would reduce payload as well.

Those are RW numbers from my truck.
Shutterbug57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:53 AM   #17

Why an SUV? A crew cab truck can carry 5 people in comfort and with a tonneau cover can carry anything a SUV can. Also trucks are as nice as any SUV.

Not sure you are really an RV type of person. If you never wanted a travel trailer and someone is giving you a large trailer trailer but you need a tow vehicle. Being adverse to trucks is strike one? Having someone 'gift you' a trailer that is difficult to tow is strike two.

What did the people giving you this trailer use to tow it?

Just look at that trailer? Look how big it is. Does it look easy to tow or difficult to tow?

If you are going to go forward with this 'gifted' trailer see if you can find a 2020 GM 2500 truck on the dealer lots. I say GM which means Chevy or GMC. That is a redesigned truck with more capability then the 2019 models. Oh, I posted a picture of a 2019 Chevy 2500 diesel discounted over $14,000 sitting at my local Chevy dealer. That brings the price down to $52,000.

Now on the flip side there is no shame in turning down this trailer. I went most of my life working and would not want anything that big. I was into small runabout boats and had zero interest in owning an RV. All my spare time was used on the house and boat.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHenderson View Post
If you cannot suggest the SUV at all what is the smallest truck that will pull this trailer comfortably?
If you really want an SUV, then the closest available vehicle with enough payload and towing capacity is a van. Ford no longer makes a HD van that can tow a 10k trailer, but GM does. Not in a passenger van, but a cargo van.
https://www.chevrolet.com/commercial...&engineTwo=L96

Order a Chevy or GMC 3500 cargo van with the HD trailering package, 6.0L engine, privacy glass windows all around and any other options you want. Then you' need to either DIY or turn it over to a van conversion pro to add the interior of your choosing.

Example: Chevy 3500 cargo van regular wheelbase, HD trailering pkg, and 6.0L engine. Then you would have:
GVWR 9,600
Payload 4,060
Tow rating 10,000

That's all you need to safely tow that trailer if you can resist loading the trailer to over the 10,000 pounds tow rating.

Way back when, I did something similar. New cargo van with windows all around and the fanciest interior available. I added thin plywood over the rear floor, 2" high-density foam over the plywood, and heavy plush carpeting over the foam. In a bone yard, I found excellent seats that matched the stock seats, and installed them over the carpet. Added an overhead console with separate sterio with headphone jacks in the rear, but no speakers, so the kids could enjoy their music without disturbing the adults in the front seats. We put over 100,000 miles on that van, dragging a camper trailer all over the USA. Fond memories.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #19

That was back in Smokey's hippy years. Carpeted van and all.[emoji16]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will add that the Expedition's fully independent rear suspension is awesome for ride comfort but feels a bit squirelly in heavy towing situations. Mine had nearly 1800 pounds of cargo capacity but my 7500 pound trailer was more than it was up to task for. Night and day difference going to a 3/4 ton with a solid rear axle.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
I will add that the Expedition's fully independent rear suspension is awesome for ride comfort but feels a bit squirelly in heavy towing situations. Mine had nearly 1800 pounds of cargo capacity but my 7500 pound trailer was more than it was up to task for. Night and day difference going to a 3/4 ton with a solid rear axle.
What year Expedition did you have? Also, was the 7,500 wet or dry weight?
Shutterbug57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:46 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
What year Expedition did you have? Also, was the 7,500 wet or dry weight?
I tow 7K wet with a 17 Expedition EL. It's stable in low wind, and squirrely but manageable when wind picks up. I usually max out at 65, but have had it up to 75 for (very) brief spurts.

I have heard D or E tires on the tow vehicle improve stability, so that will be my first upgrade. I also plan to install shocks on the trailer, which I have also heard make a significant improvement. Right now, the performance is acceptable.

Because of the low payload numbers on the Expedition, I think 7K is the limit if you're traveling with a family. I definitely would not be comfortable going any heavily or longer (at ~33ft now).
Jghall00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jghall00 View Post
I tow 7K wet with a 17 Expedition EL. It's stable in low wind, and squirrely but manageable when wind picks up. I usually max out at 65, but have had it up to 75 for (very) brief spurts.

I have heard D or E tires on the tow vehicle improve stability, so that will be my first upgrade. I also plan to install shocks on the trailer, which I have also heard make a significant improvement. Right now, the performance is acceptable.

Because of the low payload numbers on the Expedition, I think 7K is the limit if you're traveling with a family. I definitely would not be comfortable going any heavily or longer (at ~33ft now).
I would take the money you will use for tires and TT shocks and look for a used Hensley Arrow WDH. If you need tires then yeah go for the D or E. But if you're just looking to replace good P tires then getting D or E won't make that much difference. Shocks on the TT won't help with sway either. I say this as a BTDT.

I found a used HA for $950. Best WDH around. Your towing experience will dramatically improve.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh, the EXPY will pull it but not well, if you keep the trailer unloaded. I would want to go to a 3/4 ton vehicle. The number so not add up for the EXPY

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #25

Ive seen these hensley hitches at like 3k new. I feel like if spending 3k on a hitch is the only way you can tow comfortably, youre doing something way wrong. Ive never used one so i could be wrong, but ive never had a situation that couldnt be corrected by moving stuff around
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Ive seen these hensley hitches at like 3k new. I feel like if spending 3k on a hitch is the only way you can tow comfortably, youre doing something way wrong. Ive never used one so i could be wrong, but ive never had a situation that couldnt be corrected by moving stuff around
I'd never pay $3K for one either. Thats why I said buy used. I bought mine for $950 and sold it for $900. Thats not much more than an Equalizer hitch and it's 100x better. I towed a 31' 7200 lb TT with an F150 145" WB and used the HA. It was literally a 1 hand towing experience. In Oregon semi's could only go 55 mph at the time. I would run 60-62 mph and pass them frequently on the interstate. Zero push pull.
They have their place IMO. I'd get one again if i could get one cheap. I really like my Blue Ox but it's no Hensley.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I found a used HA for $950. Best WDH around.
Well, second best. Jim Hensley redesigned and updated the Arrow and now sells the newer Hensley ProPride as the "best WDH around".

I found my ProPride on Craig's List and finally talked the previous owner down to $1,000. Plus I had to drive an 800-mile round trip and spend one night in Motel 6 to go get it. But it's well worth what it cost me.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I'd never pay $3K for one either. Thats why I said buy used. I bought mine for $950 and sold it for $900. Thats not much more than an Equalizer hitch and it's 100x better. I towed a 31' 7200 lb TT with an F150 145" WB and used the HA. It was literally a 1 hand towing experience. In Oregon semi's could only go 55 mph at the time. I would run 60-62 mph and pass them frequently on the interstate. Zero push pull.
They have their place IMO. I'd get one again if i could get one cheap. I really like my Blue Ox but it's no Hensley.
The only reason im using anything more than a straight ball is the hitch says i have to to be ok at my tongue weight. Im not pulling small either, ive got a jayco 324bhds thats around 11k gross. Its never bothered me one bit back there, always a 1 handed towing experience with or without the equalizer.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing