Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #1

Towing Hybrid with a Jeep Grand Cherokee

Hello,
I have a 2016 jeep Grand Cherokee limited and towing a 23' hybrid. This is the first thing I hauled with this vehicle. It tows nice but when I merge onto the highway the RPM's get high. Is it better to manual shift(paddles) in this situation? Just curious of what you think is best in this situation.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2022, 01:02 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I am driving a modern computer controlled vehicle such as your Jeep I presume the manufacturer's engineers who set the transmission shift points knew what they were doing. I don't second guess 'em. I let the transmission do what it was programmed to do.

The vehicle computer senses the load on the vehicle and shifts the transmission accordingly. If you manually shift too soon you might get the engine RPM's too low for the combination of load and throttle position. That could lug the engine thereby putting more stress on it.

See this ARTICLE for an explanation of lugging an engine.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
When I am driving a modern computer controlled vehicle such as your Jeep I presume the manufacturer's engineers who set the transmission shift points knew what they were doing. I don't second guess 'em. I let the transmission do what it was programmed to do.
Concur.

Keep in mind a gas engine likes to rev. My 2500HD w/ 6.0L gas engine loves to be at 3500+ and it is not shy about dropping a gear to maintain 4500+. That thing is a beast and sounds like one when pulling a hill.

Let it rev and make the best power/torque.

When your wife asks "why is it so loud" ask her if you can get a new diesel truck. Hasn't worked for me yet.
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
You are just fine

I've towed my Flagstaff 21FSB behind my '16 JGC Limited (V6) for about 30,000 miles in 6 years. The TT is 21 1/2 ft long, and comes in at 5100 lbs when loaded up for boondocking ( My DW calls it boondoggling). My Equal-I-Zer hitch is set up very well, so the whole setup feels great at 62mph on cruise and sits at 2200 rpm. I tow all over the west, so hit 6% grades routinely, and a couple of 8%. The engine and tranny are good enough to handle 8% at 45and about 4000rpm. I generally get 12 mpg on my trips.

So I think you are good to go unless you load up the Jeep with too many people and too much stuff. Be careful of that.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #5

I'd let the transmission do its job unless it starts "hunting" for a gear by constantly shifting up and down. If that happens, I'd manually downshift.
MtCamper is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, jeep, tow, towing