Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #15

I would not recommend cruise control descending a steep grade with your outfit. If you set cruise and come up to a curve that requires slowing a bit you will cancel cruise the instant you touch the brakes or if you come up on another vehicle and touch your brakes to slow down .... cruise gets cancelled.

You need to understand exactly how the auto function works to make best use of your exhaust brake. When the EB is set to auto it will try to maintain the level of engine braking required to maintain the speed you were traveling when you last released your foot from a pedal. So if your exhaust brake is set to auto and you come over the crest of a hill at 60 mph and you let go of the accelerator your EB is going to try to maintain 60 mph. It will down shift and and do what it can to maintain that speed. if it gets going a little fast you can hit the brakes and as you slow down the transmission will start dropping gears ... so, say you slow to 50 mph. As soon as you release the brake pedal the EB will try to maintain 50 mph. If you've gone around a curve at 50 and want to speed up a bit, simply touch the accelerator and when you're happy with your new speed, take your foot off the throttle and the EB will use that new speed as its target speed.

If you set your EB to full "on" as opposed to "auto" it will move the turbo vanes to their most aggressive angle and keep them there whenever your foot is off the accelerator. The full "on" setting is useful if you want to use your EB to slow you down without touching the brake pedal ..... Keep in mind the "auto" setting will activate the EB to slow you down to a stop so long as it senses your foot touching the brake pedal.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2022, 04:42 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4ord View Post
I would not recommend cruise control descending a steep grade with your outfit. If you set cruise and come up to a curve that requires slowing a bit you will cancel cruise the instant you touch the brakes or if you come up on another vehicle and touch your brakes to slow down .... cruise gets cancelled.

You need to understand exactly how the auto function works to make best use of your exhaust brake. When the EB is set to auto it will try to maintain the level of engine braking required to maintain the speed you were traveling when you last released your foot from a pedal. So if your exhaust brake is set to auto and you come over the crest of a hill at 60 mph and you let go of the accelerator your EB is going to try to maintain 60 mph. It will down shift and and do what it can to maintain that speed. if it gets going a little fast you can hit the brakes and as you slow down the transmission will start dropping gears ... so, say you slow to 50 mph. As soon as you release the brake pedal the EB will try to maintain 50 mph. If you've gone around a curve at 50 and want to speed up a bit, simply touch the accelerator and when you're happy with your new speed, take your foot off the throttle and the EB will use that new speed as its target speed.

If you set your EB to full "on" as opposed to "auto" it will move the turbo vanes to their most aggressive angle and keep them there whenever your foot is off the accelerator. The full "on" setting is useful if you want to use your EB to slow you down without touching the brake pedal ..... Keep in mind the "auto" setting will activate the EB to slow you down to a stop so long as it senses your foot touching the brake pedal.
Don’t think my Duramax has an “auto” . It’s just “on”.
TexasTwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Don’t think my Duramax has an “auto” . It’s just “on”.

This is true. My 2019 Ford F250 had "auto" and "on". The difference seemed negligible to me. Either one worked great. Never really understood why the 2 settings. My 2020 GMC 3500 just has "on" and works great.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:21 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
2022 Duramax hd 3500 dually /16k 5th wheel

So I understand when descending steep grades the truck should be in drive, cruise control, tow haul with exhaust brake on. Is this correct? On older models I never used the cruise control.
We have a 2017 Ram 3500, dually, 4:10 rear end, toing a 21,000 lb. 5th wheel tri-axle toy hauler. We just came from Goodyear, Az. and now we are sitting west of Glacier NP. I do not use cruise control going into/out of the mountains. In the big mountains, I use tow/haul and full exhaust brake up and down.
The exhaust brake on the Ram has "full, 1/2 and auto" settings.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
We have a 2017 Ram 3500, dually, 4:10 rear end, toing a 21,000 lb. 5th wheel tri-axle toy hauler. We just came from Goodyear, Az. and now we are sitting west of Glacier NP. I do not use cruise control going into/out of the mountains. In the big mountains, I use tow/haul and full exhaust brake up and down.
The exhaust brake on the Ram has "full, 1/2 and auto" settings.
Please explain the 1/2 setting on the Ram exhaust brake! Our 2016 has two settings Full and Auto, pretty sure that are the only two setting still.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I'm in that category of those who don't use cruise control in the mountains. I find I can handle the ups and downs better than the truck. Without effecting other traffic I find that loosing a bit of speed going up a hill is gained back by gaining a bit of speed going down hill. I use some manual gear selection along with the EB to control the speed (up and down).

It took me a while and quite a few miles to figure out what works best. Cruise control wasn't the way. I suspect the OP will find what works best for him as he gets more miles under his belt.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
I'm in that category of those who don't use cruise control in the mountains. I find I can handle the ups and downs better than the truck. Without effecting other traffic I find that loosing a bit of speed going up a hill is gained back by gaining a bit of speed going down hill. I use some manual gear selection along with the EB to control the speed (up and down).

It took me a while and quite a few miles to figure out what works best. Cruise control wasn't the way. I suspect the OP will find what works best for him as he gets more miles under his belt.
^^
Exactly what I do. Maybe the electronics will do the job, but I like to be in control.
JEDDIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisurePursuits View Post
This is true. My 2019 Ford F250 had "auto" and "on". The difference seemed negligible to me. Either one worked great. Never really understood why the 2 settings. My 2020 GMC 3500 just has "on" and works great.
I think there are a lot of people who don’t really understand how the exhaust brake works …. especially the “auto setting”. In my opinion anyone who has a truck with an “auto” setting on the exhaust brake should use auto most of the time. Full on is really only of any value if for some reason you want to slow down without touching the brake pedal. A light touch of the brakes on Auto will slow the truck a little faster while illuminating the brake lights to warn traffic behind you that you are slowing down.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing