Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 07:31 AM   #29

My 2017 3.5 ecoboost gets anywhere from. 5-13 depending on hills and wind. Tiny 23 gallon tank sucks for long trips.
2012TxSilvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 03:14 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fuel mileage

I am sorry to say, that you do not buy an RV of any type for setting fuel mileage records, you do it for comfort and your enjoyment. Anytime you are getting 10mpg or better, you should be a Happy Camper. gps
gpscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
I am sorry to say, that you do not buy an RV of any type for setting fuel mileage records, you do it for comfort and your enjoyment. Anytime you are getting 10mpg or better, you should be a Happy Camper. gps
Don't get me wrong. I had a blast! It was just the first big trip with our new TT. The mileage just kinda took me by surprise.
But now I know. Gotta start planning now for next years trip to Maine for baby bros 50th!
Old 04-10-2018, 07:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
Don't get me wrong. I had a blast! It was just the first big trip with our new TT. The mileage just kinda took me by surprise.

But now I know. Gotta start planning now for next years trip to Maine for baby bros 50th!

Take the rig as loaded for camping to a CAT Scale. Most every truckstop (and see phone app).

Max fuel (top off). Max fresh water and propane. All passengers in vehicle.

Drop trailer and do a second weigh.

For MPG comparisons these two conditions must be met. Then the same road at the same speed. A loop, back to same pump.

Whether 1968 or 2018, the percentage change will be the same: 40% at 60-mph.

It’s a good test to see where you are.

And, to check hitch rigging, do the first test twice: once with WD tight, and second slack. Then drop TT and cross again.

Steer Axke weight should be same in One and Three. Otherwise you are giving up handling/braking performance.

40% change is a check on vehicle condition. Both of them.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:57 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Folks told me "Hey, if you get a diesel, you'll get better fuel mileage towing!"

Diesel has about 13% more energy than the volume equivalent gasoline.

If you're getting 10, and I can drive the exact same way as you are, I'm getting 11.

Total weight and how we use the throttle (how fast we accelerate, our cruising speed, how fast we climb hills, etc.) are the only factors that we are really in control of when towing, all other things being equal.
Taking into calculation the higher cost of diesel fuel, and the initial cost of the diesel over a gas truck.

Diesel fuel can very over gas from 10 cents to a $1 more per gallon. The initial cost of a equally optioned truck could be a $10k-$20k difference. Factoring in a high maintenance cost for a diesel.

If you need the tow capacity you have no choice but to go diesel.

But, if one is only going diesel for the better fuel mileage, gas will always win at the end of the day in total operating cost. Even factoring in a higher resale / trade value years later.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Perrin View Post
First, Thank You for your Service
Yes, the mileage can be a shock the first time out, it was for us too. Only got 6 mpg in our first MH. I only use “mileage” to figure distance between fill-ups.
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Taking into calculation the higher cost of diesel fuel, and the initial cost of the diesel over a gas truck.

Diesel fuel can very over gas from 10 cents to a $1 more per gallon. The initial cost of a equally optioned truck could be a $10k-$20k difference. Factoring in a high maintenance cost for a diesel.

But, if one is only going diesel for the better fuel mileage, gas will always win at the end of the day in total operating cost. Even factoring in a higher resale / trade value years later.

Whatever.
If you want to play that game, you can’t beat a turbo diesel for cruising up the mountain side.
Race ya
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

When we purchased our 450 the standard engine was gasoline, diesel was optional. The tow capacity of both options was the same.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #37

This year I have been getting 8.5-9.5 MPG without towing but I don't drive slow and the speed limit is 70-80 for the majority of my drive. I know my cats need replaced as well. Towing I get between 7.5 to 6 in normal conditions. Once towed in 50 mph winds, 5.5mpg at 55mph...that was rough trip.

At the end of the day I never have to worry about injectors, separating heads, blowing turbos, etc. At least I get a nice return in fuel points.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #38

Forgot to add the details of the TV and TT.
2008 F350 3V V10, lifted with big tires, intake, exhaust, 5 star tuner, 5.13 gears. I only run the performance/tow haul tune these days, the economy tune gets about 2mpg better when not towing but what is the fun of going slow.
2017 Cruiser RV Stryker 3212, w/Polaris RZR XTP in the back. Fully loaded Axle weight on the trailer is just over 12,000lbs so its a very heavy TT.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #39

for you guys that tow with the 6.2 gm motor, do you get any better mpg with that extra power than the 10-11 we get with the 5.3. since those motors like premium fuel the per mile cost would negate the advantage over upgrading to a thirsty 2500.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #40

Thor Owners Club
Have a 2017 Ford F-150 with the 3.5L twin turbo Ecoboost with the 10-speed automatic and 3.55 gears ... get 6 to 9 mpg towing our 8,000 lb - 34 ft travel trailer.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #41

What rear gears do you have? If you have the 3.31 gears then maybe that 2.7 is needing to spool up more often. 3.55's would be the perfect gears for that truck. If you do have the 3.55's then maybe try locking out the upper gears so you aren't needing to down shift a lot.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Some interesting math. Let’s say on average a diesel option on a pickup today is $7,000 more than the gas motor. Let’s say on average you get 5 more miles per gallon of gas towing with the diesel ... let’s say 15 mpg vs 10 mpg. Now for easy math let’s say that diesel and gas are the same price at $3.00 per gallon. Diesel truck at 70,000 miles / 15 mpg = 4,667 gallons x $3.00 per gallon = $14,000 in fuel costs. Gas truck at 70,000 miles / 10 mpg = 7,000 gallons x 3.00 per gallon = $21,000 in fuel costs. $21,000 (gas) - $14,000 (diesel) = $7,000 fuel savings with the diesel truck. But remember that the diesel option truck was $7,000 more than the gas truck to purchase. So with this simplistic scenario it takes 70,000 miles before you break even and start saving money on fuel costs when you purchase the diesel truck over the gas truck.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing