Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #1

Towing newbie-WDH and other hitch mount questions

Hello,
We just bought a lightweight popup camper that we're going to tow with 2023 Mazda CX-9. We've done all of the capacity calculations and have decided that a weight distribution hitch is our safest option for connecting to the trailer. That said, the hitch receiver on the vehcile is under the back bumper and approximately 8" off the ground whereas the trailer tongue is 18" off the ground. Can we make up this 10" gap with a WDH? Any resources or commentary anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
ChucksterRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2023, 10:04 AM   #2

Some hitches come with an adjustable drop, you can also buy similar connectors. There are also units with a fixed drop. Here's a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161025_after change2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	386151  
Old 02-10-2023, 10:16 AM   #3

It’s unlikely a WDH alone is going to get you where you need to be. You can get different configurations of hitch ball mounts which will give you some rise and then use the WDH to neutralize the squat and throw a portion of the weight to the TV front axle and to the axle on the pop-up. If you don’t already have a cooler for the transmission, it might behoove you to get one added. Towing a pop-up will be hard on the transmission and always keep it out of O/D when towing.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:39 AM   #4

Thank you both for your input!

Could I use something like this mount with an 11" rise coupled with the second pic, just swapping out the mount?

Name:	11rise mount.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	386153

Name:	WDH.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	386154
Old 02-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksterRV View Post
Thank you both for your input!

Could I use something like this mount with an 11" rise coupled with the second pic, just swapping out the mount?

Attachment 386153

Attachment 386154
You can or you could first just go with the riser and then determine if a wdh is necessary. Sometimes they're not.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:08 PM   #6

Thanks. The trailer dry weight is right about 50% of the tow vehicle weight, so it seems anyime the total trailer weight is 50%, which it defintely would be if we add to it, we should have the WDH. Are there other determining factors?
Old 02-10-2023, 12:12 PM   #7

I would look at the Andersen WDH.
No heavy hitch head to deal with.
Only weights 40 lbs complete.
No spring bars to deal with.
Works great on my 6,000 lb trailer.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucksterRV View Post
Thanks. The trailer dry weight is right about 50% of the tow vehicle weight, so it seems anyime the total trailer weight is 50%, which it defintely would be if we add to it, we should have the WDH. Are there other determining factors?
make sure the CX9 can use a WD hitch; many unibody vehicles prohibit it. Also, if you need a drop shank, it has to be compatible with a WD head otherwise the bolt spacing and size may not match up

Dave
Old 02-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #9

From the internet so please correct me if I am wrong.
2023 CX9 weight 4400
Tow capacity 3500
The receiver/hitch difference gives me pause, make sure the hitch number is with the trailer level. That much of a difference creates some side to side leverage against the receiver. I would not go beyond a 6" lift even if the trailer was not level that way. And given the numbers I do not think a WDH is necessary. But others may disagree. Good luck.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:41 AM   #10

Thank you all for the feedback. So when IS a WDH necessary? Is it just if I experience sway? Or are there predetermined factors that are more important than the trailer being more than 50% of the vehicle weight? I’d love to save the money on the WDH, but need to make sure we’re not going to be in any danger without it. Thanks again for the input!

Chris
Old 02-11-2023, 09:03 AM   #11

With that SUV and a small popup I think I'd pass on a traditional WDH and just use a shank with the right rise and then get a single friction bar that attaches to the popups A frame and the shank.
Another thing to consider is the tongue weight rating of the Mazda receiver. Usually they correspond in 10% increments. 3500 lb tow rating and 350 lbs tongue weight.

If you're limited to 350 lbs for TW that shouldn't change the dynamics of the C-9 much at all.

Maybe take a look at these.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ll/CAB-UM.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...RT/C45448.html
https://www.etrailer.com/p-RP26003.html
https://www.etrailer.com/p-17200.html
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:27 AM   #12

I would tow the pop-up 1st to see if you need a WD hitch. My guess is your pop-up will tow good without a WD hitch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 01:04 PM   #13

Its not common to use a WD hitch on trailers under 3500 lbs.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:48 PM   #14

I've never heard of a rule that a WDH is necessary when the trailer exceeds 50% of the vehicle weight.
A hitch will usually have two ratings: one for weight carrying (that is no WDH) and another, usually higher rating, for using a WDH.
If this trailer's tongue weight is within the weight carrying rating then a WDH isn't technically necessary.
A WDH is also used if the rear of the vehicle squats too much with the combined weight of the passengers, cargo, and tongue weight. It acts to redistribute the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle and the trailer axles to lessen the rear end squat.
As mentioned, some vehicles are not build to withstand the forces imposed on them by a WDH and so dis-allow their use.
What does this trailer actually weigh? Not useless dry weight but weight including propane, water, battery, etc. From looking online it looks like your vehicle has a 3,500 pound tow rating and comes with a class 2 hitch. A class 2 hitch is typically rated for no more than 350 pounds of tongue weight and is a 1 1/4" receiver. I'm not sure I've ever seen a WDH that fits a 1 1/4" receiver.
In my opinion, between the limited towing capacity, limited hitch weight, and Class 2 factory hitch I don't think a WDH is even an option.

Tags
hitch, newbie, tow, towing