Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Upgrades in drive train will increase your towing capacity. NOT the vehicle's GVWR. I post the link to vehicle certification all the time. You should read it sometime.
The info I posted for gvwr and gcwr are straight out of general motors publications for my particular trucks which there are millions of the same truck combos out there. I did not make them up or doctor them in any way. It clearly states different drivetrains having different weight ratings for the same trucks.
Demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
It would be a short discussion, like none. All the weight police (DOT) care about is axle rating. In a roadside stop, they will put portable scales under one axle at a time to check weights and if one axle is over, you can adjust or move the load to make it pass, my son has BTDT on his semi truck. They could care less about GVWR!

In my many, likely near 100, roadside inspections, never once has LEO looked at a axle or vehicle weight rating, other than that one silly town cop. And most every ticket he wrote was a waste of paper, dismissed. Now, tire ratings, they check them. The registered weight, check that. Space between axles? Yes, check that.
And BTW, most that have stopped me the last 15 years I worked had at least 5 pair of scales, to check moving weight axle to axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Then your Son should be able to tell you that most states use permanent scales, that weigh all the axles separately, at the same time. Just like the CAT scales. He should also have learned that not all states allow you to adjust anything, to many, overweight, is just that, overweight. Zap, gotacha, Ding, We got another for the quota.
Some states still have small platform, just weigh one tandem at a time. And as for adjusting the load, that depends on not only the state but where you are in the state. In Mo, for instance, if not on interstate, and you can adjust without unloading, get it right, no fine. On interstate, pay then adjust, but sometimes no adjustment needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Show me a registration card that has a registered weight above the GVRW sticker on the door (include that photo also)..
My half ton Dodge has a GVWR of 6300 lbs. The registration card says 12,000 lbs. Without a trailer, it would be hard to gross much over 7000 without overloading tires. (illegal) With a trailer, I'm legal up to 12000, and likely would not get a ticket below 13000. I don't post pics on net, but if you PM a phone number I would text them to you...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:33 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
For YEARS I have challenged all comers to post the Statue that makes exceeding MFG GVWR a citable offense.........

NONE have been posted

Lots of statements, recommendations, what if's, yada/yada, attorney lawyer gibberish, civil litigation threats but not ONCE has a actual GVWR Statue been posted.
Where are you at Bisquit? There have been two examples of states that do impose penalties for over GVWR? Comments?
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:44 AM   #200

Towing over GVWR Design Criteria

While I will agree there are additional margins built into GVWR limits, that will provide little comfort in the court room. The design limits will be the ONLY discussion by legal counsel and no one will come to your defense! At least no one from the vehicle manufacturer. Be smart.. play it safe! It will always serve you well!
Rzrektd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
where are you at bisquit? There have been two examples of states that do impose penalties for over gvwr? Comments?

commercial
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
commercial
Does that mean that you went to a commercial break while watching TV.....or do you think that the two that were posted only applies to commercial vehicles?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrektd View Post
While I will agree there are additional margins built into GVWR limits, that will provide little comfort in the court room. The design limits will be the ONLY discussion by legal counsel and no one will come to your defense! At least no one from the vehicle manufacturer. Be smart.. play it safe! It will always serve you well!
I agree with you....I'm on the "Don't tow over the GVWR" limit side!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #204

Awfully long thread for such a simple subject.

What is a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)? For a single vehicle, it is the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle.

For a combination of vehicles, it is the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of the towing unit plus the GVWR of the towed unit or units.

I'm going to risk one more statement.

It's always going to be safer traveling for you and your family, to do it within the established safety parameters set for your vehicles safe operations.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Awfully long thread for such a simple subject.

What is a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)? For a single vehicle, it is the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of the vehicle.

For a combination of vehicles, it is the value specified by the vehicle manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of the towing unit plus the GVWR of the towed unit or units.

I'm going to risk one more statement.

It's always going to be safer traveling for you and your family, to do it within the established safety parameters set for your vehicles safe operations.
I'll nitpic a bit here.

GVWR you have right.

For a combination, you need to look at the GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating). That is the maximum the Tow vehicle and what it is towing can weigh, as determined by the manufacturer. You can tow a trailer with a higher weight rating, then your GCWR, but just not load it to its rating.

Can one go over those, and not damage their truck? Yes, we have all seen a 1/2 ton truck loaded down where the front wheels look like they will come in the air at every bump. Did he safely make it home? Quite possibly. That is far from buying a trailer that is above what your truck can legally carry, and towing it all over the country. While both are legally wrong (Maybe not in all states, thats why this thread is so long), One may get away with it for awhile, but is it worth risking your trucks axles, springs, frame, and what not over?
Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #206

TV[QUOTE=grindstone01;4571241]It would be a short discussion, like none. All the weight police (DOT) care about is axle rating. In a roadside stop, they will put portable scales under one axle at a time to check weights and if one axle is over, you can adjust or move the load to make it pass, my son has BTDT on his semi truck. They could care less out
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #207

Quote:
Ok, here you, Wisconsin has no mention of an RV exemption, nor anything limiting the scales only for commercial vehicles.
This Wisconsin clicky is not size and weight code violation if that is the intent;

""The purpose for this rule is to specify which vehicle operators shall stop at open weigh stations for vehicle and load weighing, measuring and inspecting and to specify further which vehicle operators, although they may be required by a traffic officer to stop, shall not be required to stop for vehicle and load weighing, measuring and inspecting as a matter of regular course at open weigh stations.""

So far no one has come up with a states actual size and weight code that says its illegal to carry weight above the truck makes GVWR which is what the OP asked about in post number one.
Most rv folks aren't educated why dot doesn't use the trucks makers gvwr as its max legal load limit.

Lot on the net on the reasons why.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing