Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #1

Towing vehicle recommendations

Hi all,
New to the RV world. I am wanting to travel with my 5 kids and see various parts of the country. I would like to tow something with a quad bunk in the back and only one slide to reduce the weight a bit. Seeing as I have 5 kids and not 4, I will need something that is not a pickup. I would like to see what ya'll recommendations/opinions are on towing vehicles.

I've seen older posts on here that recommend a large van like the transit, but when I researched how much my transit (F350 chassis, with ecoboost 6.0 engine) towed and it was the best option on the towing packages, it was only 4,500lbs! Blew me away that it was so low!

So now I'm in the market for something that can tow in the range of 5-9,000 given my research of TT that fit my requirements.

Thanks for the input!
-Sara
mamaskees is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Sara! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not a towables guy so can't help with the question. Noticed that you are new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #3

Ford Expedition, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon.......
https://www.autobytel.com/sport-util...00-lbs-132927/
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #4

Anyone have a large van they recommend?
Old 05-14-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Lots of folks have towed with older 2500/250 series vans. Ford at one time offered the 460 in them. Chevy if I remember offered the 6.0L up till a couple of years ago. That would be your best choice. Tahoe, 1500 Suburbans , and Expeditions simply do not have towing capacity when loaded with people. So their out.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #6

My 2013 Nissan Armada has 7 passenger seating and a 9,100 pound tow rating. Where you're more likely to get in trouble is with the payload capacity.

I towed a 8,500 pound TT all over the country with the Armada and it was a great tow vehicle. However, that was with only 2 people inside. You need to remember that an 8,000 pound TT will have a tongue weight in the area of 1,000 to 1,200 pounds and that eats up a lot of payload capacity.

At the time I bought the Nissan the only other non pick up tow vehicle with a higher capacity was the Suburban and it was only 100 pounds higher. I'm sure the ratings have changed since then.

Looking at the 2019 Ford specs, I see some of the 350 transits have tow ratings of 7,300 pounds. https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...passenger-van/
Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Full size SUV or a F350/3500 van.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
My 2013 Nissan Armada has 7 passenger seating and a 9,100 pound tow rating. Where you're more likely to get in trouble is with the payload capacity.

I towed a 8,500 pound TT all over the country with the Armada and it was a great tow vehicle. However, that was with only 2 people inside. You need to remember that an 8,000 pound TT will have a tongue weight in the area of 1,000 to 1,200 pounds and that eats up a lot of payload capacity.

At the time I bought the Nissan the only other non pick up tow vehicle with a higher capacity was the Suburban and it was only 100 pounds higher. I'm sure the ratings have changed since then.

Looking at the 2019 Ford specs, I see some of the 350 transits have tow ratings of 7,300 pounds. https://www.ford.com/commercial-truc...passenger-van/
Let's not forget that the 1000 lb tongue weight you mention will be much lower with a properly set up weight distribution hitch. That is their "raison d'être". Pretty sure tongue weight could be kept to 500 lbs with a reasonable sized trailer and installation, weighing at scales is the only way to be sure.

I replied to this in another thread, let's hope there won't be a 3rd thread on the matter, it gets hard to follow.

A Suburban or Yukon XL is a better tow vehicle than the Tahoe. Longer wheelbase, way more cargo and 3rd row space and no wiggly/unstable feel. 8400 lb tow capacity on the 1500 Suburban/Yukon 2018. We still have no idea on budget or what years of vehicle they are looking for.

I think I'd hate a van for towing heavy but then, I pretty much hate driving vans anyway.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #9

go see this link for continued discussion on this:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/tv-recs-443611.html

thanks!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #10

Our family of six traveled very comfortably in our Ford Excursion diesel, while towing a 31' bunk house travel trailer. If you can find a clean used one, that may be a good option for you. A used Ford E350 van or an E350 conversion with custom interior may also make a nice towing option.

The newer SUVs have an excellent ride, and many have plenty of power, but I find their suspension sort of soft for heavy-ish towing.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:13 PM   #11

I personally don't like the Tahoe for TT tow-duty; its has a pretty short wheel base and can get a little squirly with a big TT despite what its tow rating suggests. The Suburban is better with the longer wheel base and maybe look at Sequoia and Armada (if the Van doesn't work out).
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #12

Yukon XL 2500

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 2500 with the 8.1L 502 Big Block. It's great for towing my 30' TT.
QuickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I personally don't like the Tahoe for TT tow-duty; its has a pretty short wheel base and can get a little squirly with a big TT despite what its tow rating suggests. The Suburban is better with the longer wheel base and maybe look at Sequoia and Armada (if the Van doesn't work out).
I'm not sure with the Sequoia but the Armada kinda sucks. My neigbor loved his and thought it was awesome until he added a real load. He quickly found the limitations and needed to add WDHas the ass end sagged so bad but worse, the front axle lost all traction. He almost wheelied with a (my guesstimate) 6000lb loaded trailer. It isn't that powerful, nor economical and can't touch what even my 25 year old Suburban could haul.

I suspect the Sequoia to be similar but they are rarer than hen's teeth up here.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:36 PM   #14

We have 5 kids and were going to purchase a Nissan NV passenger van. Seats 12 or pull out back row for plenty of storage. Tows 8,500 pounds and you can buy fully loaded new under $45,000. You can’t touch and suv for that price used with less than 80,000 miles on it. I have a Titan that has been bulletproof for me. 190k miles runs like new. We were going to pair that with the forest river surveyor 295 qble. Quad bunks in rear and option for a pull out sofa.

We ended up getting a great deal with a slightly used Thor Ace and skipped buying the van and trailer combo. I’m happy with our decision. Your in a tough spot because space and amount of kids in a trailer limits your to a travel trailer and a vehicle limited on pulling abilities. We went through the exact scenario last year. Our kids are under 10 so car seats etc were a major concern for my wife. Good luck. Feel free to message me anytime to run ideas if needed. You can get a better deal going back in time on a motorhome than getting a large suv and gain space and quality over a lightweight trailer. Good luck.

Tags
tow, towing