Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #15

What is the tow rating on the minivan, and how much overweight were they. My friends minivan pulls a pop up trailer. His minivan is only rated to pull 2000 lbs. If he was pulling something 4500 lbs, I would call him not very intelligent. If your friend is only over by a few hundred pounds, thats not so bad. If you are far exceeding the limit of the tow vehicle, that is different. I knew this one guy years ago who bought a camper, and decided to tow it home on the bumper ball of his rusty old pickup. He got about half way home with it, and the entire bumper and all separated, and the trailer and bumper went crashing into the ditch, wrecking the trailer. Now if the trailer had of swerved the other way into oncoming traffic, that would have made his decision to tow the trailer with his crappy old truck even stupider. I dont see the point of your thread. Are you condoning taking chances with others safety, just because your friend got away with it. People make poor choices everyday on the road. This is why we have highway inspectors watching out for us. Would you want tractor trailers taking chances with improper equipment and brakes for the load size.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
What is the tow rating on the minivan, and how much overweight were they. My friends minivan pulls a pop up trailer. His minivan is only rated to pull 2000 lbs. If he was pulling something 4500 lbs, I would call him not very intelligent. If your friend is only over by a few hundred pounds, thats not so bad. If you are far exceeding the limit of the tow vehicle, that is different. I knew this one guy years ago who bought a camper, and decided to tow it home on the bumper ball of his rusty old pickup. He got about half way home with it, and the entire bumper and all separated, and the trailer and bumper went crashing into the ditch, wrecking the trailer. Now if the trailer had of swerved the other way into oncoming traffic, that would have made his decision to tow the trailer with his crappy old truck even stupider. I dont see the point of your thread. Are you condoning taking chances with others safety, just because your friend got away with it. People make poor choices everyday on the road. This is why we have highway inspectors watching out for us. Would you want tractor trailers taking chances with improper equipment and brakes for the load size.
I agree with the OP, that this was only a one time deal, taking into account ahead of time they were somewhat over-weight, taking back roads, having a driver who has a history of towing or driving something larger than a car.

Had a family friend who towing on a regular occasion a old large pop-up (3200 dry) with 3-4 kids, bikes with a 4 cylinder mini-van. maybe 4000 lbs. wet. After a few outings I persuaded the owner to let me look at her owners manual. As I suspected the towing capacity was only 1000 lbs.

That evening I talked to the lady of that household how over-loaded her van was. The husband I knew thought 100%, as long as it goes down the highway it's fine.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #17

Tow rating on the mini van was 3,600lbs. Had the 7 pin connector from when they towed a Egg camper. I do not know the GVWR on the mini van. Had one skinny 120lb female driver.

My thought was, being careful the risk was lower than driving normal. Like when I am towing I am extra careful. I do not, can not really speed or weave in and out of traffic like BMW and Jetta drivers for example.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #18

They are staying in an RV park in a mini-van?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #19

There is a difference between someone who has to do this once and the guy who gets on here and asks, "Can I? " - meaning more than just once. If you are going to go long distance, over hill and dale, and more than just one time, we are obligated to inform someone CORRECTLY that they either have enough, or need to GET enough of a tow vehicle.
Remember, a skilled individual CAN, get by with lesser tools and get the job done correctly. But an unskilled person NEEDS the right tools to do the job SAFELY!
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, travel