Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 05:34 PM   #29

I appreciate some of you'll that provided some good valuable information. I plan on making a purchase of a TT sometime early next year (winter time frame). Haven't decided which TT yet obviously leaning towards an R Pod 193 ( Haven't even seen one in person yet). Anyone on here know their tongue weight on a similar weighted TT 4400# - 5000#. Looking to see if keeping it at or below 500# is realistic.
Credfield1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2021, 04:10 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credfield1x View Post
I appreciate some of you'll that provided some good valuable information. I plan on making a purchase of a TT sometime early next year (winter time frame). Haven't decided which TT yet obviously leaning towards an R Pod 193 ( Haven't even seen one in person yet). Anyone on here know their tongue weight on a similar weighted TT 4400# - 5000#. Looking to see if keeping it at or below 500# is realistic.
The R-Pod 190 has a stated hitch weight of 435pounds. It does not say, so I assume that does not include propane or batteries so you're probably going to be above 500 pounds before you load up.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...od/RP-193/5408

There used to be a dealer near us that had virtually all the R-Pod models and they were very nice. At the time we were heavily anti-Murphy bed, but we've been looking at the Rockwood Mini Light bunk and have changed our mind. We might have bought one if it had not already been sold. Put a good memory foam mattress to replace that straw junk they give you and it will be good sleeping. Even with the slide and the Murphy bed it's going to be close living when you're shut in, but that's ok assuming you only have 1 or 2 kids.

People have a love/hate relationship with R-Pods. There are a couple of forums dedicated to them and I would suggest you check them out as you'll find a larger community to as questions about R-Pod living, issues and towing.

Good luck
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credfield1x View Post
Ladies I towed a 4000# trailer FL to WA with current TV at 60 mph and got almost 15 mpg. Then a 3500# trailer from WA to MO again at 60 mph and returned the same mpg. I have never towed a trailer and entered the left lane, I stay in the right lanr and never had an issue. I70 speed limit is post at 70 mph and in a few areas 75 mph not 85mph. I95 is also 70 mph east of the Mississippi. I can't speak for every vehicle on the road but for my Santa Fe the owners manual recommends to not exceed 60 mph when towing and 45 mph driving uphill when towing. If your tow vehicle recommends going with the flow of traffic of 85 mph and 75 mph please let me know and I will got out and purchase that tow vehicle. Does anyone follow those UHAUL speed limits to not exceed 55 mph or are certain tow vehicles exempt from the rule?
It's not the weight as much as the wind resistance. Some R-pods are quite aerodynamic looking, so you may have an advantage there.

My brother in law hauls a short,light Kodiac Cub, no slide, I think it's a 17' by maybe 7' wide tops. His FJ Cruiser probably gets 11l/100km unladen, but he is guzzling 22-24l/100km with that small trailer at 100km/h and less. It sucks almost as much fuel as my gas dually hauling a tall 13 000lb 5th wheel! This is the norm unfortunately. Even a GM van with a 3400 engine gets 10l/100km but more than doubles with a short, semi-tall trailer.

The Santa Fe manual states to shut off A/C going uphill too. That sorta tells me all I need to know.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #32

I wouldn't tow anything with a Santa fe
I realize not everyone wants a big truck but c'mon a Santa fe?
It's going to be a dog no matter. In the wind it would be downright dangerous.
Uphill 45mph with ac off.
That should tell you right there this thing is not for towing. Period. End of discussion.
Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #33

Update. Purchased R Pod 193 almost 2 months ago. I have spent 14 days camping and have traveled over 1500 miles with my 2017 Santa Fe averaging 14.8 miles a gallon. Took Santa Fe to a CAT scale to weigh it and than went back to weigh Santa fe and R pod 193 fully loaded. R Pod 193 loaded weight 4512. I purchased a tongue weight scale from e trailer and my tongue weight is 450. I have a payload of 1296 pounds. My payload: tongue weight, occupants, WDH, receiver, and miscellaneous (50 pounds) comes in at 1170 pounds giving me 126 pounds to spare. When towing I keep it around 60 MPH at 2200 - 2800 RPM and when going uphill I slow down to about 50 - 55 MPH and keep my RPM below 3000. I haven't experienced or felt unsafe towing experience. WDH with sway bars keep everything in line and curt Bluetooth breakcontroller works perfectly with TV and R pod to break together. Lesson i can provide to others who want to tow with a smaller vehicle is to put in the time and research your vehicle and trailer. Weigh your tongue weight every time and weigh your TT fully loaded. Drive a safe speed, keep your distance, and enjoy camping.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:12 PM   #34

Have you driven in any windy conditions?
Different ball game Sir.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:13 PM   #35

Towing at 60 mph how many vehicles have to change lanes to get around the slow poke? Do semi's also pass you. My goal has always been to at least keep up with the them.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:00 PM   #36

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/3.cfm

This guy decided against a Santa Fe.
You should too.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #37

I see it from both sides.

If it is overloaded then it should not be done.

If not, well depends. I used to have a 2012 Santa Fe (tow rating 3500 lbs) and used it for years and many freeway miles to tow a small enclosed race car trailer. This was right at the tow rating limit and it towed absolutely fine (but was only 18 feet long). The 280hp V6 went up and down any reasonable grade at ease. No serious wind sensitivity, no white knuckles up to 75 mph.

I did install a Reese friction bar to dampen fishtailing but no WDH. Over the years I had a couple of *OhShit* events that required quick evasive maneuvers and the rig behaved well.

So, I am not sure what I would do with a longer and taller 5000 lbs trailer and tend to agree with the majority here. But I am sometimes wondering what our friends in Europe would say who tow decent size TT with mid-size sedans or cross-overs (example below). The Santa Fe would be considered a beast over there. But maybe these TT are built lighter or they are just suicidal...

Old 08-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #38

In Europe they don't use as many travel trailers as they do small motor homes and vans . Ever watch the Tour de France?
People camp out along the race route to watch the Peloton pass by them. I've watched this event for years and don't remember ever seeing a travel trailer in tow. Or as they call them , Caravans. It's all small motorhomes.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
In Europe they don't use as many travel trailers as they do small motor homes and vans . Ever watch the Tour de France?
People camp out along the race route to watch the Peloton pass by them. I've watched this event for years and don't remember ever seeing a travel trailer in tow. Or as they call them , Caravans. It's all small motorhomes.
Well, I grew up in Germany and I can tell you that until 10 or 15 years ago travel trailers were the vast majority of RVs in Europe. That has changed and I read that nowadays motorhomes (usually class B types) and vans outsell TT about 2:1. Nevertheless there are still tens of thousands of travel trailers sold in Germany alone every year. Some of them are really nice and not exactly cheap.

Not sure about the situation at Tour de France but I guess with a van people have an easier time to stop randomly along the route or maybe TT are not even allowed.

See below a pic of the usual clusterfrick on a German Autobahn ramp. I don't know however, why the motorhomes all come from the right and the travel trailers from the left. May have to do with where the rich people live

Also note...there are no pickup trucks. I believe the pic was taken near the Austrian border in the summer vacation rush and there are all kinds of license plates across Europe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-08-22 213532.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	340566  
Old 08-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #40

I know, too much is too much

Old 08-22-2021, 11:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
Have you driven in any windy conditions?
Different ball game Sir.
I have driven over a 1000 miles. Would i be on the road towing a travel trailer on a day with high winds over 40 mph? Answer is i wouldn't and wouldn't recommend it for anyone.

Have you driven in hurricane conditions? Different ball game.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
I see it from both sides.

If it is overloaded then it should not be done.

If not, well depends. I used to have a 2012 Santa Fe (tow rating 3500 lbs) and used it for years and many freeway miles to tow a small enclosed race car trailer. This was right at the tow rating limit and it towed absolutely fine (but was only 18 feet long). The 280hp V6 went up and down any reasonable grade at ease. No serious wind sensitivity, no white knuckles up to 75 mph.

I did install a Reese friction bar to dampen fishtailing but no WDH. Over the years I had a couple of *OhShit* events that required quick evasive maneuvers and the rig behaved well.

So, I am not sure what I would do with a longer and taller 5000 lbs trailer and tend to agree with the majority here. But I am sometimes wondering what our friends in Europe would say who tow decent size TT with mid-size sedans or cross-overs (example below). The Santa Fe would be considered a beast over there. But maybe these TT are built lighter or they are just suicidal...

Us here in the USA just think we need bigger all the time. How many folks on here weigh their 250 and 350 tongue weight before hitting the road. I take all the safety requirements before I hit the road. Can I go faster than 60 mph of course I can and sometimes I have gone over 65 without realizing it but I slow back down and try to stay at 60 mpg as it states in the owners manual. I am also the guy that goes 55 mph when trailering a uhaul trailer because on the trailer it says not to exceed 55 mph. I just enjoy following guidelines and rules. I will update again these fall when I complete a 2500 mile trip.

Tags
tow, towing