Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

Towing with a current generation F150 (HELP!!)

So here's the deal. I recently bought a TT and it came with a Husky WD hitch with add-on sway control. Not wanting to drill the trailer tongue and understanding that these types of sway control devices are inferior, I decided to go ahead and buy a WD hitch with built in sway control. For the record, it's a Husky Centerline TS.

Now.....here's the (BIG) problem. When I tow using this new hitch, my 2017 F150 starts throwing all sorts of warnings on the display screen. Steering, Advancetrac, and Hill Decent Control warnings. And yes, it definitely has to do with this hitch because 1) I towed several times with the other hitch with no sway control and it was fine and 2) an internet search revealed an inherent problem with current F150's and the use of hitches with built in sway control. It seems that when you turn, the truck senses that something is awry because things aren't as the truck should sense when turning due to the forces created by the friction in the trunnion/sway bars. For that reason, it throws warning lights and even shuts down certain functions (such as cruise control) for the sake of safety. After you disconnect the hitch and re-start the vehicle. All is perfectly fine and back to normal. No more warnings or dummy lights.

Has anyone around here experienced this and if so, what have you done to remedy the issue? While I've located plenty of complaints about it on the internet, I've turned up no resolutions to this point. This is ridiculous.
Metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I would recommend calling Ford Technical Support. Tell them what is going on and a technician will call you back and answer your questions. I would be surprised is there is not a technical bulletin about this issue. 1 (800) 392-3673. Best of luck.
TechNot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0 View Post
I would recommend calling Ford Technical Support. Tell them what is going on and a technician will call you back and answer your questions. I would be surprised is there is not a technical bulletin about this issue. 1 (800) 392-3673. Best of luck.

I appreciate the info. You can bet your azz I'll be calling. This is nonsense.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would also ask on the Ford truck forum, look for the 2015 to current section.

https://www.f150forum.com/f5/

Jim
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know what you find out.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

Is the truck in 'Tow Haul' mode? That might help.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #7

Can you turn off the stability control? My Silverado has that as well and I would have to turn that off if I used the sway control on the hitch. I liked the way it worked with trucks sway control so I would just use that instead.
elite wa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #8

You’re using too much tension on the WD bars.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

Same hitch, towed three years with our 2010 F150 King Ranch, no similar issues, no issues at all, love the hitch set up. Now towing with my 250 and tows like a dream. Sorry, not much help. Smarter folks on this forum will help you I am sure.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicat View Post
So here's the deal. I recently bought a TT and it came with a Husky WD hitch with add-on sway control. Not wanting to drill the trailer tongue and understanding that these types of sway control devices are inferior, I decided to go ahead and buy a WD hitch with built in sway control. For the record, it's a Husky Centerline TS.

Now.....here's the (BIG) problem. When I tow using this new hitch, my 2017 F150 starts throwing all sorts of warnings on the display screen. Steering, Advancetrac, and Hill Decent Control warnings. And yes, it definitely has to do with this hitch because 1) I towed several times with the other hitch with no sway control and it was fine and 2) an internet search revealed an inherent problem with current F150's and the use of hitches with built in sway control. It seems that when you turn, the truck senses that something is awry because things aren't as the truck should sense when turning due to the forces created by the friction in the trunnion/sway bars. For that reason, it throws warning lights and even shuts down certain functions (such as cruise control) for the sake of safety. After you disconnect the hitch and re-start the vehicle. All is perfectly fine and back to normal. No more warnings or dummy lights.

Has anyone around here experienced this and if so, what have you done to remedy the issue? While I've located plenty of complaints about it on the internet, I've turned up no resolutions to this point. This is ridiculous.

I have the same design hitch (different brand) on my 2018 F150. I get not codes or warnings when pulling trailer. All aspects of the vehicle work.

I tow in Tow/Haul mode, BUT, I have also spent a bit of time in ECO and Standard mode (just to test it out) and all functions fine.

Don't know how different a '17 is from and '18, but perhaps something is awry with the vehicle...Unless you've put to much weight on the vehicle via the WD system. If I recall correctly, I'm using 1000 lb. spring bars.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
You’re using too much tension on the WD bars.

No. I'm not.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #12

The problem is solved. Thanks for all your replies.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #13

What was the problem?
Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrktfsh View Post
What was the problem?

Because this hitch, like the Equalizer, has 4 points of contact with regard to sway control, naturally it works more efficiently at keeping the trailer straight. In my case, when I would make turns, after the turn, it would appear that the trailer was tracking straight behind the truck when it fact, it was not. The bars were not totally straightening out and therefore, putting sideways forces on the rear of the truck. The truck recognized this and didn't like it, triggering all sorts of faults. I'm not the only one that has had this issue. An internet search determined that. So, Equalizer manufactures a nylon "sleeve" that sits atop the trailer brackets for the bars to rest on and slide across. I simply manufactured my own version and installed them. Not only has it solved the problem, but the sway control still works exceptionally well and there is absolutely zero popping and creaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190213_210811.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	234999   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190213_204046.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	235000  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190213_204125.jpg