Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

Towing with a Honda CRV

How do I use this form I have a 2013 Honda CRV and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I have an engine oil cooler or transmission cooler I want to pull a small Harbor Freight trailer to do some hauling to the dump
Alvin m is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #2

I do believe you have a 1500 lb tow rating on your vehicle but do check.

If I had a CRV and wanted to tow a single axle utility trailer with some junk in it and it was total around 1k to 1.5K I would do it.

Do check your local rules as to at what weight they require trailer brakes and breakaway switch. All the best.

A fellow I know tows 3.5K boat and trailer with his volvo sedan without issues, it has surge brakes and breakaway switch.
Old 06-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

I had a 2014 CRV and put a 2” hitch on it for a bicycle carrier. I was able to tow am Aluma 10’ trailer with some lumber on it. That being said, by the time you add up the cost of the hitch, trailer and tire repairs you pick up at the dump, you’d be better off calling one of those We Haul Junk places
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:20 PM   #4

I used to tow with a CR-V (and now I tow one instead!). Your owner's manual is available on Honda's website, and it will tell you how much you can tow with one. I recall that ours was rated to tow 1,500 lbs.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:26 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I towed a small utility trailer with a '14 CR-V, max weight was about 1,700#'s (700# trailer and 1/2 yd gravel) Very carefully for about 3 miles and I could tell it was there. I wouldn't want to tow more for any further.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #6

Put a receiver on our 2013 and used it to do exactly what you describe, and to haul bark to the house.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:47 PM   #7

I put a trailer light kit and hitch on our 2010 CRV and pulled a lightly loaded 5x8 utility trailer. It did fine, but I always made sure to watch the weight.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:07 AM   #8

I pull my 5'x8' utility trailer behind my 2014 CRV. I am very careful not to overload it. The CERV pulls fine.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:26 AM   #9

Don't see anyone addressing the oil cooler/transmission cooler question.

I would assume on trips to the dump we are not talking about the dump on the other side of Ike's Pass, so not making difficult climbs, not driving 85 MPH.

If you are taking leisurely drives to the dump and not overloading the trailer, I would say auxiliary coolers are not required.

I replaced a radiator on an old(er) CRV, but I can't remember how hard it would have been to add an auxiliary transmission cooler - there was already lines running to the radiator from the transmission as I recall. There was not an oil cooler and I would presume that would be a more difficult modification if it could be done at all.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:33 AM   #10

we had a new 2013 CRV nice car but at about 40k it started shuddering, Google CRV transmission shuddering its common, talk to service people. i wouldn't abuse that trans with anything. maybe tow a couple hundred pounds at most.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #11

1000lbs is pretty much its actual towing capacity, 1500lbs TOPS. I wouldn't do much more than a local run with 1000lbs. This shouldn't be a CVT but rather the 5 speed auto for a 2013. I wouldn't bother with a cooler for 20km or shorter towing runs. Change the fluid every 48 000km with DW-1 OEM fluid if you tow.

If it was a bit newer like 2015- it'd be a CVT for sure and that means NO towing in my book.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:43 PM   #12

Re: Shuddering.

We test drove four different CRVs and they all shuddered to varying degrees. I knew about the problem and was looking for it. On one test drive it started and Islightly let up on the gas to keep it happening long enough the salesman in the back seat said: "Oooh, that shouldn't be happening." The shuddering happens at a little over 20mph with light acceleration as the torque converter is locking up.

The one we purchased didn't shudder - at first. I bought an extended warranty just because of this issue. Ended up taking it to the dealer who contacted the insurance company that said they were well aware of the problem and the ultimate solution was replacing the torque converter. However, Honda has a service bulletin where the first step is to change the transmission fluid and re-flash the the transmission firmware. Until that was done, the insurance company wouldn't authorize a torque converter replacement. I had the fluid change and re-flash done at my expense and for me, it solved the problem. It's been over a year now. Others have not had such luck.

Anyway, regarding the oil and transmission coolers - They shouldn't be needed unless you regularly tow over long distances. Just running a small load to the dump isn't going to be an issue as long as you don't exceed the tow rating. Check with Honda and make sure the tow rating isn't listed - "with optional tow package" - which usually includes enhanced cooling. The manual for my 2013 doesn't mention an optional tow package. Frankly, I doubt such a package was offered for a CRV since it's marketed as a grocery getter, not a truck. Just don't load up your trailer with a couple tons of gravel to haul from a quarry 100 miles away.

When towing, it's usually suggested you use the switch located on the side of the shift handle that locks out overdrive if the transmission seems to be hunting back and forth between drive and overdrive.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 03:23 PM   #13

Ours, an '08, has a transmission cooling loop through the lower radiator tank.

Our '04 was a manual, and I can't recall whether it had a transmission cooler, but I towed a small trailer full of dive gear (close to the 1500# max weight) from NY to NC and back with no issues, and towed lighter loads many times.

I would not hesitate to use one to tow a small trailer to the transfer station once a week if it were necessary.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
Re: Shuddering.

We test drove four different CRVs and they all shuddered to varying degrees. I knew about the problem and was looking for it. On one test drive it started and Islightly let up on the gas to keep it happening long enough the salesman in the back seat said: "Oooh, that shouldn't be happening." The shuddering happens at a little over 20mph with light acceleration as the torque converter is locking up.

The one we purchased didn't shudder - at first. I bought an extended warranty just because of this issue. Ended up taking it to the dealer who contacted the insurance company that said they were well aware of the problem and the ultimate solution was replacing the torque converter. However, Honda has a service bulletin where the first step is to change the transmission fluid and re-flash the the transmission firmware. Until that was done, the insurance company wouldn't authorize a torque converter replacement. I had the fluid change and re-flash done at my expense and for me, it solved the problem. It's been over a year now. Others have not had such luck.

Anyway, regarding the oil and transmission coolers - They shouldn't be needed unless you regularly tow over long distances. Just running a small load to the dump isn't going to be an issue as long as you don't exceed the tow rating. Check with Honda and make sure the tow rating isn't listed - "with optional tow package" - which usually includes enhanced cooling. The manual for my 2013 doesn't mention an optional tow package. Frankly, I doubt such a package was offered for a CRV since it's marketed as a grocery getter, not a truck. Just don't load up your trailer with a couple tons of gravel to haul from a quarry 100 miles away.

When towing, it's usually suggested you use the switch located on the side of the shift handle that locks out overdrive if the transmission seems to be hunting back and forth between drive and overdrive.
my dealer told me about the same thing. a new torque converter he said wasn't a guaranty and it might stop it for a wile then return, same with a new trans. your just replacing the same defective parts with the same thing. i did have my service guy change the oil with some different type oil that stopped it. he said probably temporarily though. then GOT RID of it.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote