Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I agree. They have to proof your towing within the first 1000 miles caused the problem to decline you warranty. Even if they decline your warranty, I’m pretty sure the dealer or even ford will reach back to you when “#FordTrash” or “#Powersjoke” starts to trend.

Think about an ambulance, some are built on SD chassis, which weigh 3000 lbs more than a F350 DRW. I don’t think they drive the chassis for 1500 miles before building an ambulance.

Again, it’s not gonna hurt anything mechanically. Warranty-wise, slim to none.
I used to do some work for a large Class C manufacturer - some of those units were over max GVWR before they left the factory parking lot.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I used to do some work for a large Class C manufacturer - some of those units were over max GVWR before they left the factory parking lot.

Dave
Another good example is the enterprise truck lease. Those are the favorite of hotshot dudes. They lease the truck with a few miles and immediately hookup 20,000 lbs gooseneck until it hits 60,000 miles and then sign another lease. I never heard any of those trucks been declined warranty works as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:38 PM   #17

Hey guys, thanks for the info and opinions.

I will have a chance to put on some 500-600 miles before I have to pick up that 5th wheel. I guess that will have to do...I will take it easy on the 60 or so flat miles to go home. The next real camping trip will not be until April so the mileage will be sufficient by then.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 04:21 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So what did the dealerr tell you???????? The expert wannabes dont provide a warranty do they?
Old 02-23-2021, 05:50 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
It use to be when you picked up your new diesel the best thing you could do was cover the front grill, hook up as heavy a trailer as you could find and hit the highway. They said drive hard, heat that motor up and seat those rings. This ensured the motor would run a long time with little problems. Everyone I know who did this had their trucks for many miles.

I personally would go connect your fifth wheel and tow it to where you need it.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:36 AM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I agree. They have to proof your towing within the first 1000 miles caused the problem to decline you warranty. Even if they decline your warranty, I’m pretty sure the dealer or even ford will reach back to you when “#FordTrash” or “#Powersjoke” starts to trend.

Think about an ambulance, some are built on SD chassis, which weigh 3000 lbs more than a F350 DRW. I don’t think they drive the chassis for 1500 miles before building an ambulance.

Again, it’s not gonna hurt anything mechanically. Warranty-wise, slim to none.

A laptop hooked to the OBDII will tell them in seconds if a trailer was hooked to it.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
A laptop hooked to the OBDII will tell them in seconds if a trailer was hooked to it.
I’m not saying they can’t see when you towed, everything is registered to the computer when 7-way is plugged into. They have to proof the towing caused the failure, which is near impossible to do and it’s horrible for the manufacturers reputation. Never heard any warranty claim denied due to break-in towing. Technically they can, but they won’t. Just like I’ve never heard anyone got arrested for singing in the bathtub in PA. The law is there, but no one is enforcing it.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:01 AM   #22

Didn't Ford Deny warranty on the CP4????????????

Warranty issues are DENIED routinely IF they think they can do so.

OBD gives them 'proof' and then YOU have to prove they are wrong
**Almost as bad as IRS
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Didn't Ford Deny warranty on the CP4????????????

Warranty issues are DENIED routinely IF they think they can do so.

OBD gives them 'proof' and then YOU have to prove they are wrong
**Almost as bad as IRS
If that’s the case, none of those hotshot drivers would make money for the first 1500 miles. No, they don’t break-in before making money and they don’t get denied warranty work just because they tow 20,000 lbs off the dealers lot.

Manufacturers deny warranty work for all kinds of BS or tell you it’s normal. But deny warranty work because of towing in the first 1500 miles is unheard and beyond BS.

What if you are buying a used truck with power train warranty? Do you get the truck to the dealer and let them check if the truck has towed in the first 1500 miles? I don’t think so.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your truck, your decision.

I'm not normally one of the strict follow the rules guys, nothing too far outside the lines but I do see a lot of grey in the world and a lot of CYA from manufacturers ("Don't use blow dryer in bathtub" But that's were my hair is wet!!). One thing I've learned all to well, if they can deny a claim they will. That simple. Wish I knew everyone else's dealerships but the ones around here are looking out for themselves. If a problem happens, unlikely, but if it happens, you may or will most likely have to hire an attorney and fight their refusal, forcing them to prove their claim. It takes time and money. Maybe worth it to some but not me... a little diesel and a few hours of driving is way cheaper, way less frustrating, and so much more fun!

When I bought my new 2007.5 truck I had a trip planned for the following week and needed 500 miles (per manual) before towing. So I went out and burned 605 miles on it by taking a trip to see a friend for one hour before turning around and coming home so I could get ready for my camping trip the trip the next day. Win-Win!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Nickels View Post
It use to be when you picked up your new diesel the best thing you could do was cover the front grill, hook up as heavy a trailer as you could find and hit the highway. They said drive hard, heat that motor up and seat those rings. This ensured the motor would run a long time with little problems. Everyone I know who did this had their trucks for many miles.

I personally would go connect your fifth wheel and tow it to where you need it.
Thats fine and dandy for the motor but not the rest of the running gear and in today's age not really necessary.
My Rams say to put 500 on before towing. Then after that they say to put a load on the CTD to expedite break in. It doesn't need broken in per-say. It will eventually be at the same point as far as the internals goes, but loading it up expedites it.

Newer diesels aren't the same as they used to be.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #26

It ain't GrandPa ole diesel anymore

Pinion/Ring gear are what needs the 'break-in' miles
That diesel will seat/match as you use it

HotShot....they run them, put them away wet and don't give a hoot
Lease another and of they go
**they don't make money with truck in for warranty work that takes days/weeks. They don't care about warranty

HotShot......poor analogy
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:05 PM   #27

Hmm; so Ram says 500 miles and Ford says 1600?......does anyone believe the Ram axle is built better and to closer tolerances than the Ford? ....I still say it's just a random and arbitrary CYA number.

I agree; your truck, your call but I still think the risk of a warranty claim denial due to towing before the arbitrary mileage has been reached is negligeable....but we all have different risk tolerances so you do you.

The OP has a 60 mile flat tow; there is no way I'd bother waiting for 1600 miles to do that.....a few hundred? sure.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #28

This is what my 20 ram book suggested to do, so that's what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210223-151607.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	319031  
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f350, tow, towing