RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #1

Towing with F350 during break-in period

We just got our new diesel F350 (4x4) and need to pick up our (mid-size) 5th wheel from 60 miles away. The Ford manual states that that no towing is to be done before 1600 miles on the odometer, I suppose to be nice to the drivetrain during break-in.

Is that just out of abundance of caution or do we take a risk if we tow the 5th wheel with only 150 miles on the clock? I am wondering if that may affect the warranty in case something should happen.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
We just got our new diesel F350 (4x4) and need to pick up our (mid-size) 5th wheel from 60 miles away. The Ford manual states that that no towing is to be done before 1600 miles on the odometer, I suppose to be nice to the drivetrain during break-in.

Is that just out of abundance of caution or do we take a risk if we tow the 5th wheel with only 150 miles on the clock? I am wondering if that may affect the warranty in case something should happen.
I asked my dealer exact the same question when I pick up mine last summer. They said it’s not gonna hurt anything mechanically. Some may argue it hurts the rear end. Many fleet vehicles start towing and hauling with single digit on the clock and no problem what so ever. That 1000 miles on the manual is more like a legal clause. But he told me whatever you plug into the 7-way will be registered on the computer with corresponding mileage. He also warned me, although very unlikely, if you have a jacka$$ service manager down the road for some drivetrain warranty work, and he/she saw you towed within the breakin period, they could run their mouth and say the towing in the breakin period caused premature failure of the drivetrain and reject your claim. I can’t see that happening unless Ford wants to make to the headline.

Btw, I towed with 300 miles on the clock. It’s a truck, not a lambo.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #3

The reason for that 'break in' milage before towing to allow pinion/rear gear in rear end to 'set/match'

Your truck ---your decision

**how hard is it to put that mileage on prior???
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

My ram called for 500 miles under 55 and not to tow four 1000 for the rear end to match up properly. It honestly only took a wk of driving. Don't know if it actually did any good but I felt better knowing I did what was required. Also to add, Cummins doesn't require any break in period.
They can use that trailer tow mileage counter against you. I was supposed to leave our rv park the next day after bringing our new truck home, i just extended my stay for a wk to break her in right.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
The reason for that 'break in' milage before towing to allow pinion/rear gear in rear end to 'set/match'

Your truck ---your decision

**how hard is it to put that mileage on prior???
^^^^^^This

Go burn a few miles and put 500 or so on it, vary your speed and load on the drivetrain. No extended highway runs to put too much heat into it.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Btw, I towed with 300 miles on the clock. It’s a truck, not a lambo.
ditto. By all means follow the recommendations but I personally don't get that hung up on that kind of stuff. Sorta like engine break in proceedures on a new vehicle - do you really think that the 4 guys that test drove your truck/car before you didn't hammer the throttle at some point?

I've rebuilt the top ends of my race bikes in the back of a trailer and been racing 30 minutes later....

your truck, your choice but I wouldn't sweat towing at 500 miles instead of 1600 miles. Besides, unless you are going over a mountain pass it's probably not a big deal anyhow, does that 60 miles include any really steep grades? .....the differential doesn't know if you have a trailer hooked to it or not so depending on the route, the load may not be terribly significant anyhow.

Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #7

I waited to tow until there was 1000 mile on it. I figured why buy a new truck and risked any warranty issues. Some engineer came up with that spec. Mine was ordered and was not driven by anyone on a test drive. I asked the wife to put 1000 miles on it before I hooked up our fifth wheel. These trucks cost to much to have any issues with the warranty. Just my thoughts ��
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

How close can you get to the break in milage? I would try hard to put more break-in miles on the truck. The closer you can get to the 1,500 miles the better IMHO.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
I waited to tow until there was 1000 mile on it. I figured why buy a new truck and risked any warranty issues. Some engineer came up with that spec. Mine was ordered and was not driven by anyone on a test drive. I asked the wife to put 1000 miles on it before I hooked up our fifth wheel. These trucks cost to much to have any issues with the warranty. Just my thoughts ��
I couldn't agree more, why risk your warranty . Mine was the same way ,built online and ordered. It still came with 7 miles on it. Probably hitting the dunes around the saltillo Mexico plant . I'm sure most of those 7 miles came from Loading and unloading onto the rail car and getting to the dealership.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
I couldn't agree more, why risk your warranty . Mine was the same way ,built online and ordered. It still came with 7 miles on it. Probably hitting the dunes around the saltillo Mexico plant . I'm sure most of those 7 miles came from Loading and unloading onto the rail car and getting to the dealership.
you never know. The truck is definitely driven before delivery if it has 7 miles. I bought a few vehicles less than 2 miles. One of them was my old Toyota FJ Cruiser, which only had 1.4 miles when I took delivery and it was shipped from Japan to CA and then transport to Long Island. Those were for sure nobody has touched. Last year my local ford dealer had 2 F250 Tremor people ordered. The day before delivery, those salesperson took turns and drove the hack out of them. I know the sales manager and he offered me to drive it around but I kindly declined. Next day, it was delivered with “only” 5 miles on the odometer. Usually those SD has less than 2 or 3 miles when they hit dealers lot directly from Kentucky.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
you never know. The truck is definitely driven before delivery if it has 7 miles. I bought a few vehicles less than 2 miles. One of them was my old Toyota FJ Cruiser, which only had 1.4 miles when I took delivery and it was shipped from Japan to CA and then transport to Long Island. Those were for sure nobody has touched. Last year my local ford dealer had 2 F250 Tremor people ordered. The day before delivery, those salesperson took turns and drove the hack out of them. I know the sales manager and he offered me to drive it around but I kindly declined. Next day, it was delivered with “only” 5 miles on the odometer. Usually those SD has less than 2 or 3 miles when they hit dealers lot directly from Kentucky.
sales wouldn't suprise me if they did it. they kept talking to me about it being there highest price truck on there personal lot and said they were going to start ordering more with those options.
Old 02-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #12

I imagine it varies by manufacturer....some put on a few miles during testing prior to shipping. Both my BMW and our Range Rover had 20-30 miles on it before arriving at the dealership. I've purchased dozens of brand new pickups that had anywhere from 20-50kms on them.

Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 05:41 PM   #13

Error on the side of caution but I really doubt there is much risk to a warranty due to towing anything before the recommended brake in period is up.

.....I deal with risks several orders of magnitude larger than that on a daily basis so maybe I'm just "risk tolerant".

Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #14

I agree. They have to proof your towing within the first 1000 miles caused the problem to decline you warranty. Even if they decline your warranty, I’m pretty sure the dealer or even ford will reach back to you when “#FordTrash” or “#Powersjoke” starts to trend.

Think about an ambulance, some are built on SD chassis, which weigh 3000 lbs more than a F350 DRW. I don’t think they drive the chassis for 1500 miles before building an ambulance.

Again, it’s not gonna hurt anything mechanically. Warranty-wise, slim to none.

Tags
f350, tow, towing