Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Toy hauler set-up opinions?

First off,I am a long time lurker,but now a first time poster.Reason being,I am "moving up" from my 26' TT to a bonafide toy hauler.With the wealth of information here,I would like to get real world-not salesman-advice on the set-up I will be looking at.I have been reading a ton of info.here,there,and everywhere,and quite frankly my head is spinning.
If I can provide my "package",and get some opinions on what/where I should be.
TV-2019 F250 Lariat 10,000 GVWR package(also has snow plow package if that means anything),SB,6.7 diesel,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate airbags,2.5 level kit on front,35x12.50 18 Toyo RT,3.55 gearing
Fr. GAWR-5990
Rr. GAWR-6340
Payload capacity-2300lbs.

Toy Hauler-Grand Design Momentum 31G bumper pull
UVW-8975
Hitch weight-1600lbs.
GVWR-12,000lbs.
Length-36'

I am looking at the Blue Ox BXW1500 Sway Pro WDH,but am open to any suggestions as to better/more suitable WDH.The plan is to use this for mostly camping,but we want to be able to take my 800ish lb. Harley Street Glide,once in a while,as well as sometimes the wifes 600 lb. Street Bob.Looking for a Street Bob for myself as well,so it may eventually be 2 of those opposed to the SG.This set-up will also be used for MX races occasionally with one maybe two dirt bikes.
We previously pulled a 26' Wildcat TT at about 6700 lbs.,and it pulled fairly easy.Having a general understanding of equally loading/balancing the TH,where am I at with this new set-up?The truck is already bought and paid for,so it will probably be the TV for a while.The TH is on order,but if it's not feasible,I may have to re-evaluate.I don't really want to go 5'er,due to the hardware in the bed because I haul my dirt bikes quite a bit.Thoughts?
Daddy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy454 View Post
First off,I am a long time lurker,but now a first time poster.Reason being,I am "moving up" from my 26' TT to a bonafide toy hauler.With the wealth of information here,I would like to get real world-not salesman-advice on the set-up I will be looking at.I have been reading a ton of info.here,there,and everywhere,and quite frankly my head is spinning.
If I can provide my "package",and get some opinions on what/where I should be.
TV-2019 F250 Lariat 10,000 GVWR package(also has snow plow package if that means anything),SB,6.7 diesel,Airlift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate airbags,2.5 level kit on front,35x12.50 18 Toyo RT,3.55 gearing
Fr. GAWR-5990
Rr. GAWR-6340
Payload capacity-2300lbs.

Toy Hauler-Grand Design Momentum 31G bumper pull
UVW-8975
Hitch weight-1600lbs.
GVWR-12,000lbs.
Length-36'

I am looking at the Blue Ox BXW1500 Sway Pro WDH,but am open to any suggestions as to better/more suitable WDH.The plan is to use this for mostly camping,but we want to be able to take my 800ish lb. Harley Street Glide,once in a while,as well as sometimes the wifes 600 lb. Street Bob.Looking for a Street Bob for myself as well,so it may eventually be 2 of those opposed to the SG.This set-up will also be used for MX races occasionally with one maybe two dirt bikes.
We previously pulled a 26' Wildcat TT at about 6700 lbs.,and it pulled fairly easy.Having a general understanding of equally loading/balancing the TH,where am I at with this new set-up?The truck is already bought and paid for,so it will probably be the TV for a while.The TH is on order,but if it's not feasible,I may have to re-evaluate.I don't really want to go 5'er,due to the hardware in the bed because I haul my dirt bikes quite a bit.Thoughts?

The hitch weight you quote is that as loaded. You indicate your truck has like 2300 payload is that after its built, modified and loaded after its weighed as well.

In any case having the 1600 pounds on the south pole instead distributed in the bed is a little concerning to say the least.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Lover View Post
The hitch weight you quote is that as loaded. You indicate your truck has like 2300 payload is that after its built, modified and loaded after its weighed as well.

In any case having the 1600 pounds on the south pole instead distributed in the bed is a little concerning to say the least.
The hitch weight is from the details of the TH...

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...floorplans/31g

Payload number was taken off the door jamb sticker...not sure what the "mods" difference would make.This not weighed at all yet.Just trying to run some numbers.
Old 05-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #4

My 2017 F-250 only has a 1,500lb rated hitch. I know you could get an option for a 2,000lb hitch capacity. If your truck has that you are good to go.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

I would load up the truck full of fuel and people and supplies and what ever else you may want to carry on your trip with the trailer and go get it weighed. Once you have that down, you can do the math on the carrying capacity left over. Also check to make sure your tires are up to the load capacity as well, with some capacity to spare.

As to the trailer, stickers are not always accurate, so it would be best to find someone with the make model of what you are looking at or find one at the dealer and take it for a test drive while stopping and getting it weighed. Take the salesman with you, tell him if it meets the sticker numbers you will pay for the weigh if it don't he should cover it! More than likely he will say no but hey its worth a try eh.

Since the truck it a total known entity in all of this it would be best to start with it, the snow plow etc stuff will be adding weight to the truck as will the hitch etc. All the best to you, but if you wanna really get specific weighing the truck road ready for the trailer is your first solid, logical and decisive step. It will give you information on what you can and cannot do thence forward. As stated above see if you have the heavy tow option and also check with you gear ratio, additional cooling etc.

There is a ford site where you can plug in your vin number and get the specs but they wont include in add ons that you did or the stuff you will carry but may be helpful if considering a new truck etc.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #6

Its always a good idea to weigh and check everything. My gut reaction is that that is a very big trailer but you have a very strong TV. The F250 Diesel gets the heaviest rear available and is the same as an F350 SRW except for the springs and door sticker.....your camper package gives you stiffer front springs and you have air bags. If your truck isn't enough truck, then you'd need a dually to make any noticeable difference.

OTOH, if you wanted to go 5er, a small dirt bike trailer is cheap and easy.

Dave

2 cents,
Dave
Old 05-13-2021, 11:41 PM   #7

Quote:
I would load up the truck full of fuel and people and supplies and what ever else you may want to carry on your trip with the trailer and go get it weighed. Once you have that down, you can do the math on the carrying capacity left over. Also check to make sure your tires are up to the load capacity as well, with some capacity to spare.

As to the trailer, stickers are not always accurate, so it would be best to find someone with the make model of what you are looking at or find one at the dealer and take it for a test drive while stopping and getting it weighed. Take the salesman with you, tell him if it meets the sticker numbers you will pay for the weigh if it don't he should cover it! More than likely he will say no but hey its worth a try eh.

Since the truck it a total known entity in all of this it would be best to start with it, the snow plow etc stuff will be adding weight to the truck as will the hitch etc. All the best to you, but if you wanna really get specific weighing the truck road ready for the trailer is your first solid, logical and decisive step. It will give you information on what you can and cannot do thence forward. As stated above see if you have the heavy tow option and also check with you gear ratio, additional cooling etc.

There is a ford site where you can plug in your vin number and get the specs but they wont include in add ons that you did or the stuff you will carry but may be helpful if considering a new truck etc.
Sounds like I need a trip to a Flying J around here.Not sure if we're talking the same language on the snow plow package.I won't be using a plow,it just has the prep pkg.I BELIEVE that is just heavier springs on the front,but not SURE.I have tried a few Ford sites for the VIN,but it doesn't give any specs for a "heavy" tow package.As well my window sticker only shows-trailer sway control,trailer brake cont.,so on but nothing tow pkg. specific.

So,a little more digging shows that the snow plow prep pkg. also includes the "camper pkg." which includes rear stabilizer bar and auxiliary springs.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Its always a good idea to weigh and check everything. My gut reaction is that that is a very big trailer but you have a very strong TV. The F250 Diesel gets the heaviest rear available and is the same as an F350 SRW except for the springs and door sticker.....your camper package gives you stiffer front springs and you have air bags. If your truck isn't enough truck, then you'd need a dually to make any noticeable difference.

OTOH, if you wanted to go 5er, a small dirt bike trailer is cheap and easy.

Dave

2 cents,
Dave
It is big.I didn't really give it much thought until I started reading more about TH towing...which I have never done.I feel like it is plenty of power to pull it,I am more concerned about it pushing me around.I also feel like the airbags would compensate for some of the weight,but didn't realize 1600lb hitch weight seems to be a lot.Would not the bikes in the back offset some of the tongue weight?

I reeeeealy don't want to go with a 5er if I don't have to beings the hauler I want is bumper pull,and that would change everything.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:31 AM   #9

Well after finding a 2019 SD SpecLite brochure,it appears I also have the "high capacity trailer tow package"-3" receiver,max fr. springs,upgraded axles,and 25,700lb. GCWR.And evidently my max. payload is 3480lbs.,NOT the 2300 stated in the OP.(this was stated on the door jamb sticker?).Not fully sure what/how much this changes things,just putting out as much info. as I can find to get the answers I'm looking for.Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My 2017 F-250 only has a 1,500lb rated hitch. I know you could get an option for a 2,000lb hitch capacity. If your truck has that you are good to go.
I wonder if this is the high capacity trailer tow package?
Old 05-14-2021, 01:02 AM   #11

Daddy 454"Well after finding a 2019 SD SpecLite brochure,it appears I also have the "high capacity trailer tow package"-3" receiver,max fr. springs,upgraded axles,and 25,700lb. GCWR.Not fully sure what/how much this changes things,just putting out as much info. as I can find to get the answers I'm looking for.Any help is much appreciated."

Well you done found yourself a nugget there and its positive news.

GCWR is the combined weight of your truck and the trailer on a trip outa town. Given the upgraded axles your GVWR should also be higher which would provide for more weight capacity for your truck. Can you find the weight rating on your tires, you can find it on them directly as load rating then google that tire. If you go to the manufacturer web they can tell you what the pressure should be for max load etc. Certainly it's a blessing that your truck is the upgraded one. Do you have a good brake controller installed if not do get the best one, as that is key to keeping your trailer in control. The bucks on the controller are well spent in my book.

We still need the weight of your truck trip ready and do some assumptions and real info to add up like what your trailer would weigh as it left town behind your truck.

Scale weight measure is the absolute forsure way to know who is on first and what is on second and all that.

Here is a site where a bunch of ford truck enthusiasts hangout!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum286/
Old 05-14-2021, 03:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Daddy 454"Well after finding a 2019 SD SpecLite brochure,it appears I also have the "high capacity trailer tow package"-3" receiver,max fr. springs,upgraded axles,and 25,700lb. GCWR.Not fully sure what/how much this changes things,just putting out as much info. as I can find to get the answers I'm looking for.Any help is much appreciated."

Well you done found yourself a nugget there and its positive news.

GCWR is the combined weight of your truck and the trailer on a trip outa town. Given the upgraded axles your GVWR should also be higher which would provide for more weight capacity for your truck. Can you find the weight rating on your tires, you can find it on them directly as load rating then google that tire. If you go to the manufacturer web they can tell you what the pressure should be for max load etc. Certainly it's a blessing that your truck is the upgraded one. Do you have a good brake controller installed if not do get the best one, as that is key to keeping your trailer in control. The bucks on the controller are well spent in my book.

We still need the weight of your truck trip ready and do some assumptions and real info to add up like what your trailer would weigh as it left town behind your truck.

Scale weight measure is the absolute forsure way to know who is on first and what is on second and all that.

Here is a site where a bunch of ford truck enthusiasts hangout!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum286/
It does appear as though this is better than I first thought.I'll need to do some legwork on my next days off,as i'm currently on nights for 5 on.Not sure why the time thing says 7am for the west coast where I'm at.I'll look in to the tire rating as well.Any ideas/thoughts on the WDH I'm considering?
I am a member on the FTE forum as well.Lots of good info. there,just haven't had time to throw all this out over there.Thought maybe an RV forum would be a good place to start as far as the TH thing.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Can you find the weight rating on your tires, you can find it on them directly as load rating then google that tire. If you go to the manufacturer web they can tell you what the pressure should be for max load etc. Certainly it's a blessing that your truck is the upgraded one. Do you have a good brake controller installed if not do get the best one, as that is key to keeping your trailer in control. The bucks on the controller are well spent in my book.
Toyo Open Country R/T 35x12.50r 18--3415lbs. @ 65psi
Truck came with Integrated Brake Controller already factory installed.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:08 AM   #14

Cool if you have the 3" receiver. That might be over a 2,000lb capacity. I say you are good to go with that toy hauler.

Oh, the capacity might be on the hitch. If you would not mind, if it is, can you please post the capacity? I am curious.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toy hauler