Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2022, 08:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht1 View Post
It depends on how long you want to keep it and what you expect for resale value.
I you want dependability and good resale value. The Tundra is the way to go.
LOL !
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2022, 10:36 AM   #58

HEllo, small update. I bought RAM 1500 Longhorn Laramie CREW cab. I bought it with a stuck camshafts (140.000 miles) and now it is on service. My friend works there and it is his project repair it.

hope i will be satisfied.
milda001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 10:51 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by milda001 View Post
HEllo, small update. I bought RAM 1500 Longhorn Laramie CREW cab. I bought it with a stuck camshafts (140.000 miles) and now it is on service. My friend works there and it is his project repair it.

hope i will be satisfied.
Good luck, you will need it! You probably bought the american truck with the weakest payload available. It should be more stable than your VW, but it won't have much more pulling power nor payload. Since your trailer appears to have very little tongue weight it "might" do the job, but your trailer itself still seems to be an issue to me.

Not sure I would want to fool around with a lfter and camshaft job once the metal is worn like that. I'd be pricing a new or rebuilt long block before sinking 4000-5000$ (or Euros) into that.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:04 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Good luck, you will need it! You probably bought the american truck with the weakest payload available. It should be more stable than your VW, but it won't have much more pulling power nor payload. Since your trailer appears to have very little tongue weight it "might" do the job, but your trailer itself still seems to be an issue to me.

Not sure I would want to fool around with a lfter and camshaft job once the metal is worn like that. I'd be pricing a new or rebuilt long block before sinking 4000-5000$ (or Euros) into that.
My classmate has RAM 2020, he bought as brand new car from local distributor. He tows cattle with long trailer about 4800kg and he is very satisfied. I will see how satisfied i will be.

The repair include a new timing chain and it will be 3260 USD include local VAT (21%)
Old 12-11-2022, 03:43 AM   #61

For what it's worth Consumer Reports has dumped the Tundra as a good buy.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:18 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Tundra is in Czech republic a bit problem with service and service parts. RAM is common thing in EUROPE and Czech republic. My problem with camshaft is for many sevices common thing and no problem to repair it. My friend diassemble it within a few hours. Next week RAM will be probably repaired. That is a reason why chose RAM in my eyese.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:28 AM   #63

Good you have someone who has done this before, but the metal bits get everywhere in the engine. They must be removed or they will eat up the new bearing surfaces. The engine has to come apart completely and every place that oil travels must be rinsed clean.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:13 PM   #64

Parts and dirt get everywhere. I rebuilt one engine but I was not detailed enough. It is not in my nature to be that degree of careful.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 07:33 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Only until they get enough data on the new model to determine whether to recommend it or not. They do that every time a vehicle is redesigned.
RVM #204
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #66

I’m sure this topic has been thourghly discussed and I have not read all the posts. I am quite versed in the Tundra and have a highly customize 2.5 gen. Prior to the new 2022 release, the Thndra was a rock solid truck. Granted, it’s not a HD truck but does what it was designed to do very well. The new version (2022) has been plagued with problems and issues and absolutely cannot be classified as “reliable”. As much as I love the Tundra, there is no way in hell I would purchase a ‘22. The new pricing is also outrageous.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Parts and dirt get everywhere. I rebuilt one engine but I was not detailed enough. It is not in my nature to be that degree of careful.

Good luck
i studied usual procedure for camshaft repair.
1. each engine has an oil filter and an oil stainer, i donīt know how about RAM, but i suppose it has.
2. they do some flush of available parts (without totally disassemble engine)
3. after complete asseble engine they drive about 500 km and oil is replaced again. After 2000km is replaced again.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:10 AM   #68

This will suit you better than an RV forum.https://www.ramforum.com/
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If i drive with firewood it is safety about 60 - 70km as maximum. It is depend on road, (here is terrible quality), trailer being be unstable about 70km and more.

From the photo, it looks like your handling problem could be not enough tongue weight. The tongue weight should fall between 10 % and 15% of the loaded trailer weight. It appears that the axles are pretty much located dead-center on the trailer. This being the case you need to load heavier toward the front of the trailer.

But with your current tow vehicle, you will need to be careful not to put too much tongue weight on the vehicle. The less expensive solution might be to load the trailer a bit lighter and balance the load to put more weight on the tongue.

As for a really nice tow vehicle, I really like the Ford F150, 3.5L EcoBoost with the Tow Max package. It will out perform the Sierra or the Tundra.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:05 AM   #70

Quote:
i studied usual procedure for camshaft repair.
1. each engine has an oil filter and an oil stainer, i donīt know how about RAM, but i suppose it has.
2. they do some flush of available parts (without totally disassemble engine)
3. after complete asseble engine they drive about 500 km and oil is replaced again. After 2000km is replaced again.
That is a good plan. I admit to being a little over the top on this sort of stuff. I would flush all the oil passages, put in new bearings everywhere and a new oil pump. In other words a rebuild.
MCCOHENS is offline   Reply With Quote