Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #1

Toyota Tundra or GMC Sierra

Hello,

i would need your advice, i live in europe and i need tow trailer with firewood. Usually we tow about 3500 - 4500 tons.

currently i own VW touareg V6 TDI 193KW@580nm. This car is a bit weak on our trailer. So long time i am thining about new model Tundra or Sierra, purchase this car is a bit problem, because in EU doesn´t exist official seller. This is a reason why i need before purachse some opinion from people who know this cars.
milda001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milda001 View Post
Hello,

i would need your advice, i live in europe and i need tow trailer with firewood. Usually we tow about 3500 - 4500 tons.

currently i own VW touareg V6 TDI 193KW@580nm. This car is a bit weak on our trailer. So long time i am thining about new model Tundra or Sierra, purchase this car is a bit problem, because in EU doesn´t exist official seller. This is a reason why i need before purachse some opinion from people who know this cars.
I think something has been lost in the translation. I presume you are not towing 3500-4500 tons (in US, that would equate to 70,000 to 90,000 pounds). At that weight, I would suggest you look at a Peterbilt. And if that was metric tons, well, I am not sure the Peterbilt would work, may want to look at a locomotive.

Are we talking 3500 pounds or 3500 kilograms? At 3500 pounds either truck will do fine. At 3500 Kilograms, you are up around 7,700 pounds. (Sorry, I have to think in English units, my mind does do metric. ) I would probably lean more to the GMC on the higher number. I would think you would be more likely to get a Chevy than a GMC in Europe?

In any of these, I would probably look to which one would have the best dealer support.

And, if you are actually talking about 3500 pounds, you might even consider something like a Toyota Tacoma, maybe sold under the Hilux name, or a Chevy Colorado, if that is sold there. If 3500 kilograms, then I think you need the full size trucks. However, if your Touareg is just a bit weak, the Tacoma or Colorado should be a decent improvement, assuming what they sell in Europe is comparable to the US Market.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:29 PM   #3

I am guessing you mean you are towing 7,000lbs to 9,000lbs of firewood. Either truck will do that. I would lean toward the new and updated Tundra.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Tundra is new for this year and the GM product I believe has a new interior. I am not a fan of the GM product because I have good luck with Fords.
I am not a Ford fan, but I think that Ford may have a stronger presence in Europe than GM? Not sure where Toyota would fall in that discussion.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I think something has been lost in the translation. I presume you are not towing 3500-4500 tons (in US, that would equate to 70,000 to 90,000 pounds). At that weight, I would suggest you look at a Peterbilt. And if that was metric tons, well, I am not sure the Peterbilt would work, may want to look at a locomotive.

Are we talking 3500 pounds or 3500 kilograms? At 3500 pounds either truck will do fine. At 3500 Kilograms, you are up around 7,700 pounds. (Sorry, I have to think in English units, my mind does do metric. ) I would probably lean more to the GMC on the higher number. I would think you would be more likely to get a Chevy than a GMC in Europe?

In any of these, I would probably look to which one would have the best dealer support.

And, if you are actually talking about 3500 pounds, you might even consider something like a Toyota Tacoma, maybe sold under the Hilux name, or a Chevy Colorado, if that is sold there. If 3500 kilograms, then I think you need the full size trucks. However, if your Touareg is just a bit weak, the Tacoma or Colorado should be a decent improvement, assuming what they sell in Europe is comparable to the US Market.
yeah, sorry i was wrong , i thought 3,5 - 4,5 tons.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am guessing you mean you are towing 7,000lbs to 9,000lbs of firewood. Either truck will do that. I would lean toward the new and updated Tundra.
Both cars look awesome. Things like brakes, oil filters and unusual things for small service is not problem buy in EU. My friend is owner Tundra (2000 year) and he had problem with catalizator. So they had to buy in USA, some parts might be problem buy in EU.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:22 PM   #7

The EU spans many countries. I would suggest buying the truck that has some sort of dealer support for parts.

A Tundra will be at or over its limit at 4.5 tons behind it, depending on how the trailer is set up. Any GM 1500 series will be the same, at or over the limit. a 3/4 ton truck is suggested as a minimum, that'd be a 2500 series for GM or RAM (Chrysler), or a 250 series for Ford. 1 ton is even better, likely very close in price but may be harder to obtain in the EU.

Toyota is good but I prefer the American brands for pickups. They are generally a bit more bang for the buck, and Toyota is well-known for 4 cylinder durability, most 6 cylinder, but not as great with V-8s.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 07:44 PM   #8

At that weight, I would definitely argue you are not looking at a half ton truck. However, I can't imagine the VW handling that very well if at all.
Old 08-25-2022, 07:46 PM   #9

Toyota builds cars, then there's everybody else.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 10:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
The EU spans many countries. I would suggest buying the truck that has some sort of dealer support for parts.

A Tundra will be at or over its limit at 4.5 tons behind it, depending on how the trailer is set up. Any GM 1500 series will be the same, at or over the limit. a 3/4 ton truck is suggested as a minimum, that'd be a 2500 series for GM or RAM (Chrysler), or a 250 series for Ford. 1 ton is even better, likely very close in price but may be harder to obtain in the EU.

Toyota is good but I prefer the American brands for pickups. They are generally a bit more bang for the buck, and Toyota is well-known for 4 cylinder durability, most 6 cylinder, but not as great with V-8s.
Do you think Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500 could be on limit with 4,5tons (9000lbs). I know never will tow more. For example Sierra has max towing capacity over 12000lbs. I hoped it will be sufficient with reserve.

I have a bit worries about length of truck, very offten we must back a car and truck as sierra 2500 is a bit longer. For your idea, Touareg has 4,7 meters length. Sierra 1500 is about 6 meters and model 2500 is about 6,4 meters. It is crazy. I know it will be complication to back a car.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by milda001 View Post
Do you think Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500 could be on limit with 4,5tons (9000lbs). I know never will tow more. For example Sierra has max towing capacity over 12000lbs. I hoped it will be sufficient with reserve.

I have a bit worries about length of truck, very offten we must back a car and truck as sierra 2500 is a bit longer. For your idea, Touareg has 4,7 meters length. Sierra 1500 is about 6 meters and model 2500 is about 6,4 meters. It is crazy. I know it will be complication to back a car.
The problem is payload, meaning what weight you can place on the rear of the truck. That means on the bumper (hitch) and in the bed of the truck.

As I stated, it depends on the trailer setup (5th wheel, gooseneck, or bumper hitch) and how it is loaded. Putting wood directly in the truck bed will use up payload quickly too on any 1/2 ton truck.

Either should have the power to pull it, but the rest of the truck will suffer with 4.5 tons behind it. A pic of your current setup or future setup would give a better idea.

My truck is 7 meters long. The longer the wheelbase, the more turning radius will be needed when backing into tight corners, but the vehicle is safer and more stable. Backing long distances straight will be easier with a longer wheelbase.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:29 AM   #12

How fast will you be towing your firewood?Either truck would be near their limit towing a travel trailer but your firewood trailer will not catch as much wind and might be narrower. Either truck can tow that weight at 50km easy I would think and maybe at 60km.

I know when I get firewood most of my trip is on back roads and not the freeway.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
The problem is payload, meaning what weight you can place on the rear of the truck. That means on the bumper (hitch) and in the bed of the truck.

As I stated, it depends on the trailer setup (5th wheel, gooseneck, or bumper hitch) and how it is loaded. Putting wood directly in the truck bed will use up payload quickly too on any 1/2 ton truck.

Either should have the power to pull it, but the rest of the truck will suffer with 4.5 tons behind it. A pic of your current setup or future setup would give a better idea.

My truck is 7 meters long. The longer the wheelbase, the more turning radius will be needed when backing into tight corners, but the vehicle is safer and more stable. Backing long distances straight will be easier with a longer wheelbase.
If i drive with firewood it is safety about 60 - 70km as maximum. It is depend on road, (here is terrible quality), trailer being be unstable about 70km and more.

Old 08-26-2022, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Toyota builds cars, then there's everybody else.
You got that right . Under powered and as thirsty as a ditch digger on a 100 degree day :(
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote