Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2022, 06:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Do you think Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500 could be on limit with 4,5tons (9000lbs). I know never will tow more. For example Sierra has max towing capacity over 12000lbs. I hoped it will be sufficient with reserve.
The GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine 4wd locking rear axle will work fine for pulling trailers hauling wood.
I have a 2016 1500 chevy Silverado (same as the GMC Sierra) 5.3 4wd crew cab short bed 6 speed auto and have no problems with pulling a 18' 10000 lb flatbed trailer loaded with fire wood (5-6 ton gross trailer weight).

I sell and deliver oak/hickory/pecan/other types green or seasoned firewood during winter months so a 4wd truck is necessary.

Either truck you mention will work for moving firewood...but I sure would get one with a 4wd and a locking type rear axle if your going off road hauling wood.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
That trailer looks like it was built to be balanced. Full of wood looks like you can still pick up the tongue or just pick up the tongue to disconnect it. Can you just pick up the tongue to disconnect?

Also it does not look like that trailer is designed to travel very fast. I say that because the placement of the axles are centered. The trailer makes a great farm addition but it is not a highway crusing trailer.

A truck will tow it much better but will be expensive to buy and to operate.
Yes, we are able pick up on the wheel and disconnect it with load trailer.
When trailer isn´t full load, itsn´t problem drive a bit faster. There are two factor, the height and the fact that trailer is maybe a bit overload. That is the reason why trailer a bit swimm on road (local roads aren´t ideal and it has high infunce as well).

I think 3/4 tons truck doen´t solve the problem with overload and swimming the trailer. What do you think about it?

My goal is not solve the problem with unstable trailer above 70km/h. In 99% causes we drive short distance on not ideall roads. So drive with full trailer of firewoods on local roads 90km/h could be very dangerous.

My goal is buy truck which tow trailer without problem and i can use it for others things at home.

About MPG, my Touareg without trailer has MPG 24,66 on short way. With trailer on the same short way about 16 MPG. On long way without trailer 30MPG.
milda001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:04 AM   #31

A 3/4 ton truck won't care what that trailer is doing. My guess is you will feel no movement of the trailer even if it is swaying all over the place. Plus it might be better behaved behind a big truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
The GMC Sierra with the 5.3 engine 4wd locking rear axle will work fine for pulling trailers hauling wood.
I have a 2016 1500 chevy Silverado (same as the GMC Sierra) 5.3 4wd crew cab short bed 6 speed auto and have no problems with pulling a 18' 10000 lb flatbed trailer loaded with fire wood (5-6 ton gross trailer weight).

I sell and deliver oak/hickory/pecan/other types green or seasoned firewood during winter months so a 4wd truck is necessary.

Either truck you mention will work for moving firewood...but I sure would get one with a 4wd and a locking type rear axle if your going off road hauling wood.
in winter is sometimes terrible to deliver firewood. Last winter on snow the trailer during the back drive from a small hill tow my touareg as a toy.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:54 AM   #33

I am not a European trailer expert. I do remember reading somewhere that they tend to use different techniques for RV trailers than we do here in the US, towing with much lighter duty vehicles, low tongue weights, other things that we tend to compensate with a bigger truck mentality in the North American market.

In that regard, the mindset we would have here in North American, born of our love of the TV show Home Improvement and the movie Jaws, that a bigger truck fixes everything is not quite the same in Europe, as I understand.
Old 08-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
I am not a European trailer expert. I do remember reading somewhere that they tend to use different techniques for RV trailers than we do here in the US, towing with much lighter duty vehicles, low tongue weights, other things that we tend to compensate with a bigger truck mentality in the North American market.

In that regard, the mindset we would have here in North American, born of our love of the TV show Home Improvement and the movie Jaws, that a bigger truck fixes everything is not quite the same in Europe, as I understand.
in fact in EU is not possible tow more than 3,5 tons. Basically, if i buy from US 3/4 tons truck officialy i can use only 3,5 tons. So manufacturers design trailers only for 3,5 tons as maximum include weight of trailer, soo sad.
Old 09-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #35

I have spent most of my life as a very happy GM (General Motors) owner; cars & trucks. I've owned other brands but for me the Chevrolet (or other GM) just "fit me better." However... a few years ago I bought a Toyota Tundra and really love it! It is a great truck, handles very well, is extremely reliable, and very comfortable. I highly recommend the Tundra. I pull a smaller 5th wheel trailer (yes, I'm within my weight limits) and it tows very, very well. If you are going to load up a trailer with firewood I'd recommend having brakes on the trailer in conjunction with a good quality brake controller in the truck.
ridesolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #36

Unfortunately, the Tundra is only sold in North America. Even if you could import one, you'd have a hard time finding parts. However, I believe the Hilux actually has a lot of one ton parts in it; that would be my recommendation if you can get one where you are.
RVM #204
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #37

The Tundra, beginning with 2022, has a turbo V6. A friend who just bought one said it was the most underpowered truck he had ever owned.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:49 PM   #38

Well here in the US, for 1/2 ton trucks Consumer Reports only recommends the 1500 Ram with an overall score of 75 and an average dependability and the Tundra with an overall score of 71 with an average dependability. None of the other brands are recommended. The Chevrolet/GMC overall score is 46 with a much worse dependability rating. Consumer Reports is a private non-profit consumer advocate group that buys their own vehicles and tests them and generally their reviews are respected by most except for those who are strongly brand loyal. Consumer Reports members are asked to submit reports on consumer goods that they own usually on a quarterly or annual basis. They also have access to vehicle repair reports and studies. I don't know about the other testing/ratings services. I also like Edmunds.com and others like it. Of the 1/2 ton trucks most of the the review sites rate the 1500 Ram on top right now. For the 3/4 ton trucks all three brands are very close in the ratings. So read the reviews and see what suits your needs.
dannonebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
I The reason the trailer gets squirrley is that the trailer is balanced and no weight at all is on the tounge. You have to have 10 percent of the trailer weight on the tounge. If you do not have the proper weight on the tounge the trailer will start swaying at 30kph and get so bad that it will put you in the ditch the faster you go. Take the advice of the people who have have told you to mount a tool box on the front of the trailer and put two 100 lb trailer weights in it and you will see a night and day difference in the way it handles. I had a trailer set up the same way and had to do what i have suggested for you to do.
Any guestions you can pm me.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:06 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreazer View Post
I The reason the trailer gets squirrley is that the trailer is balanced and no weight at all is on the tounge. You have to have 10 percent of the trailer weight on the tounge. If you do not have the proper weight on the tounge the trailer will start swaying at 30kph and get so bad that it will put you in the ditch the faster you go. Take the advice of the people who have have told you to mount a tool box on the front of the trailer and put two 100 lb trailer weights in it and you will see a night and day difference in the way it handles. I had a trailer set up the same way and had to do what i have suggested for you to do.
Any guestions you can pm me.

Thank you for you advices, for me it means and have two solutions.
1) load a less woods, if i downcrease the height of loads the trailer has betteer stability.
2) I can do an experiment and try add on the front of trailer some box.

I am thinking about RAM 2500, because Dodge is in Czech republic popular and itsn´t problem buy a lot of parts. I drive from home (empty) about 10 miles in one way and afternoon the same road to home.
I suppose on this short way RAM will have awesome fuelcomsumption. DD MY touareg 3.0 V6 has about 10l/100km (23.5 MPG), RAM 2500 maybe 15MPG?
Old 09-01-2022, 11:42 PM   #41

Yes you will need lots of parts money for a dodge.
You will get about 10 mpg towing that load with a 2500 gas truck.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:43 AM   #42

Send a message via Skype™ to Hugo-H
Quote:
Originally Posted by milda001 View Post
Hello,

i would need your advice, i live in europe and i need tow trailer with firewood. Usually we tow about 3500 - 4500 tons.

currently i own VW touareg V6 TDI 193KW@580nm. This car is a bit weak on our trailer. So long time i am thining about new model Tundra or Sierra, purchase this car is a bit problem, because in EU doesn´t exist official seller. This is a reason why i need before purachse some opinion from people who know this cars.

Personally, I would chose for GMC... I also live in Europe (Belgium) and my son owns a dually GMC... Our experiences are quite good, we both drive US cars, having a very good mechanic for service and problems...
Hugo-H is offline   Reply With Quote