Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #1

Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box

Who's towing with the Trailair Flex Air 5th Wheel Pin Box and how do you like it?
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 04:25 AM   #2

We had friends that bought a new fifth wheel toy hauler with the Trailair Flex Air and after two trips they changed it out for the Morryde and have loved it. They reported way too much bounce with the Trailair, and they have been completely satisfied with Morryde. I realize opinions vary - but they were less than impressed and a bit put out having to spend so much money for the replacement.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:25 AM   #3

Morryde for us also. Left the trail air on our old fiver when we sold it. The Morryde really smoothed out the ride.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:07 PM   #4

I do not used the Trailair flex air pin box, but I use the TAILAIR Air Ride Pin BOX. My thinking about the Flex Air pin box will allow to much chucking to occur and this will be transmitted to the tow vehicle.

I have towed two different 5ers with the TrailAir Air Ride pin box design and I have no towing issues with the 5er's I have towed when using this design. Some times simpler is just better design.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #5

You can read my saga about a broken frame on a 38 ft 5th wheel. They added 300 lb of iron for strength at the pin box and installed the Flex Air. I love to watch in the rear view mirror the shock absorber bouncing 1-2 inches, but not one thing can I feel in the cab. It works like it should, and I hope to keep it on my next one - no more broken frames on I-10 outside Lafayette or I-20 in Bossier City.......
cletesingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:17 PM   #6

Sure hoping I have a really good report to share soon. After considerable research on Trail Air Flex Air vs Reese Goosebox, I just (last week) replaced my Rota Flex pin box (OEM) on my 40’ Keystone Alpine with the Flex Air. Primary reason for the change was to protect the trailer; I already had a very nice ride.
I’ve only pulled it about 14 miles round trip “to town and back” for my annual trailer inspection, required for registration here in TX, but was impressed with watching it work in the mirror…..seeing movement I couldn’t feel.

In a few weeks, we’re headed from Northeast TX to Florida Panhandle and then on to the Smoky Mtns and back home. Of course I have to go through Shreveport so that’ll test it for sure. Will gladly share my report and comparison to the Rota Flex afterward.

However, in this thread as well as several other sources I researched before the upgrade, several folks mention chucking concerns due to the Flex Air design, primarily around it having the pivoting head.

Hope I’m not wrong, but I don’t see how chucking will be an issue based on my experience with the Rota Flex which has the same pivoting head. The combination of my B&W Companion and the Rota Flex essentially had no chucking with exception of the occasional rough bridges with joints spaced such that will cause some grief that we’re all likely familiar with. Since the Flex Air has the same head and just adds the air bag and shock to absorb the vertical impact between hitch and trailer, seems like the ride can be nothing but better than before (in addition to protecting the trailer so I can sleep better.)

Follow up report coming soon….

Happy Trails,
RVnAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #7

I just recently purchased the Trailair Air Ride Pin Box & was not impressed! I have played around with the pressure in the bag & think I have it at the best setting. It helped the ride some, but was not worth the $1,200 price tag!
Old 06-28-2021, 03:38 PM   #8

I haven't bought anything yet but now after more looking and reading I'm leaning more toward the Morryde pin box.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
I just recently purchased the Trailair Air Ride Pin Box & was not impressed! I have played around with the pressure in the bag & think I have it at the best setting. It helped the ride some, but was not worth the $1,200 price tag!
Do you have the 5er loaded correctly? Do you know the trailer weights and your truck weights?

The reason I ask is loading in the 5er is very important for ride quality.

As I mention above in my first post about the 3rd one, I do have e TrailAir ride hitch. This has tremendously improve the ride between the truck and 5er. I would say about 95% improvement. I inflate the air bag until the line on the shock absorber is met per the manufactures instructions. This is usually around 90 to 95 PSI for my needs.

As far as chucking is concerned this is handled by my hitch jaws that clamp tightly around the king pin. The Demco Hijacker autoslide hitch requires a tight fit between the jaws and the king pin to work. So, I do not get any chucking.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:08 PM   #10

I put the Flex Air on my 5er and love it. I use it with an Andersen Ultimate. I also have Road Armor equalizers and Moryde shocks on the trailer axles. Everything is very smooth.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #11

Has anyone installed a Reese 2nd gen Goosebox on a Rhino pin box mounting system?

In late 2019 I upgraded from a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite, with a Reese Revolution pin box, to a 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback IK31. As it turned out the Cedar Creek has the new shorter Rhino pin box which reduced turning clearance.

The Anderson hitch I was using worked well for clearance, but I wanted the Goosebox for it's air and shock setup, plus I can now hook up directly to my Gooseneck ball. Since Reese does not currently make a Goosebox for the Rhino setup I had to modify the Goosebox mounts. I spoke to Lippert and was told the Rhino frame was reinforced and it would be ok if I can make it fit. Yes I know there is no warranty on the Goosebox due to the modifications. Has anyone done this and what is your experience.

I am towing my 5er with a 2018 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Laramie with a Cummings. If anyone wants to know how I made it work Just let me know.
ccmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, air