Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 07:32 AM   #29

Watch this video.
Mike works for a truck driving school and explains it better than I ever could. The only other advice I can give you is GOAL Get Out And Look. Good luck and watch your mirrors.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #30

rope lights at night

A few years ago we were in a state park campground. We were parked and setup. The wife was going to a local quilt shop when a guy pulled in with a fifthwheel for a site nearby. He was by himself and blocking my wife. Knowing my wife was in a hurry, I walked over and ask if he would like me to spot for him. He ask if I could back these things? I said yes. He about knocked me over with the door getting out for me to back it in for him. It was not a difficult site to get into. I backed it in then ask him if he wanted it mover over to the left to have more room on the door side. He wanted it moved over so I pulled out and moved the trailer over a couple of feet.
He thanked me and I left.
He later the next day came over to thank me again. The next day he came over again and gave us two nice rib eye steaks.

Now a tip for night time arrivals. If there is electric power at the site place a set of rope lights one the site about a foot or two from where you want the RV. Place them on the side that you can see in the mirror. The biggest problem is a night you can not see where you are trying to get to. The rope lights help a great deal.

Also cover the taillights of the tow vehicle as they will reflect off of the RV and make it harder to see.
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 07:04 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't crane your neck to look backwards, it really fouls up your brain. Use your mirrors. If you want to back straight, watch the mirrors and turn the wheel toward the mirror you see the trailer in. Steer in small increments, the response isn't instantaneous so you'll need to anticipate. Practice, practice, practice!!
Practice makes permanent.
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:26 PM   #32

After practice and advice from all of you, I'm a hell of a lot more comfortable backing the TT up now. I backed it into our new storage spot between another RV and some steel pillars today on the first try without much trouble at all. Not feeling stressed anymore.

Thanks!
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:55 PM   #33

I learned quite young to back up a trailer; backed up boat trailers for years. No big deal until I bought my TT and then I could not back the thing up without having it jackknife. I finally found out that since the TT was shorter than the tow vehicle, all bets were off, and I could finally stop feeling like a complete idiot. What I had to learn was not to let the TT get very far out of straight-line backing up or it would irretrievably jackknife. I'm sure others have dealt with this; even the class I took at a local RV dealer did not clue me in to what was wrong, and all the directions they gave did not stop the jackknifing problem. So....if the silly thing keeps jackknifing, don't let it get any angle more than about 15 degrees and you will be ok. It can take some backing and filling though.
BrassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:25 PM   #34

An inexpensive wireless backup camera is invaluable, put a suction cup on the camera and just stick it on when you need it, maybe even 2.

You and your spotter need to be using the same words to mean the same thing, look at the site together and agree on words like building side, rock side, power pole side etc. when the spotter says building side it would mean that the back of the rig needs to move to the building side, etc. Also the spotter needs to be looking up for wires & branches also walk around to the front to spot.

SLOW is everything, just because someone wants to get past you don't let them pressure you into going to fast, we've all been there.

Here are a couple little things I have used

1, I have 1 foot on the gas and 1 on the brake (yeah just like Sammy ), I put pressure on the brake and apply the gas and ease on and off the brake instead of using the gas peddle. It need to be practice in a large parking lot but works well.

2 this one is from my dad 20 year over the road driver. When you are ready to back up put your left hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and push the bottom the way you want the rear of the trailer to go. If the rear of trailer needs to go to the left move your hand to the left.

3 practice practice practice with your spotter.

One more thing you may not be the designated "parker" you may be the spotter, practicing will let you know if you are behind the wheel or behind the rig. Good luck
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #35
DKO

Some great advice here.

The man who taught me took me to an empty parking lot, stood on the running board and helped me back in a straight line all the way across the parking lot. He kept at it until I could stay within one foot of the line. Then he had me put the passenger side of the trailer and backed it the entire line too. That is all. He never taught me to turn. He said that once I could back a straight line that far, I could put a trailer anywhere. He was right.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #36

So first off remember that a Travel Trailer backs up much different then a 5th Wheel Trailer.....why? The Travel Trailer is connected to the end of the vehicle near the bumper, while a 5th Wheel is directly over the pivot point of the rear axel. Travel Trailers respond to steering wheel movement faster then a 5th wheel. Like said before go to a parking lot and back up......a lot.....bring cones.....and slowly bring them closer together and tighter. Bring a spotter (not your wife) that knows what to advise and when to turn etc. Bring your wife and have her WATCH this happening. A good point is to look ahead while backing, use your mirrors, move SLOWLY, VERY SLOWLY, and make slow adjustments. The easiest way to back into a site is a straight back in. If you need to do some back and forth to get it straight do it and do it SLOWLY!!!! Don't let others try and tell you how to back into and a site and rush you. Get used to your vehicle and how it responds. And when you think your doing good.....head for someplace that has trees all around and try backing there. Nothing more intimidating then backing close to a tree or two. One thing a lot of people forget is to tell the spotter to LOOK UP, for branches etc. Good Luck and Happy Trails.
Bobthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #37

OK verbally explained sometimes loses its translation,and remembering what was said at what point even confuses the issue more! i*m with the gentleman who advises the YOU TUBE video whereas actions can and will speak louder thaN words. You will pick up a few visual aids that will stick in your head. Don*t worry you will get it by the time you buy your next one ! SAFE TRAVELS
BOSTONBERNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:39 PM   #38

Backing up TT

Place your hand on bottom of steering wheel. Hand on top you have to turn in opposite direction you want trailer to go. Hand on bottom you turn in same direction you want TT to go.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #39

A lot of good advice here and here is one more. I taught in a truck driving school and the best piece of advice I taught my students is roll down your window and stick your left arm out it. Now grip the wheel, bottom or top is up to you, bottom is easiest. At this point use your mirrors and and do not let go of the wheel, the reason for this is most people tend to over steer but if you do not let go of the wheel you will not. When in doubt "GOAL" Get Out And Look. The only advice I disagree with is using a spotter, DON'T the only reason to have a spotter is to watch and stop you if you are about to hit something. Other than that don't use one as you are going to run into a situation where you won't have one and will not know what to do. Your mirrors are your spotters!!!! If you notice truck drivers all across America back up many thousands of times a day with very difficult situations and never have a spotter. Learn to do it like them and you will be set for life.
Old 02-18-2021, 04:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyjoe View Post
A lot of good advice here and here is one more. I taught in a truck driving school and the best piece of advice I taught my students is roll down your window and stick your left arm out it. Now grip the wheel, bottom or top is up to you, bottom is easiest. At this point use your mirrors and and do not let go of the wheel, the reason for this is most people tend to over steer but if you do not let go of the wheel you will not. When in doubt "GOAL" Get Out And Look. The only advice I disagree with is using a spotter, DON'T the only reason to have a spotter is to watch and stop you if you are about to hit something. Other than that don't use one as you are going to run into a situation where you won't have one and will not know what to do. Your mirrors are your spotters!!!! If you notice truck drivers all across America back up many thousands of times a day with very difficult situations and never have a spotter. Learn to do it like them and you will be set for life.
Think this sums it Up -
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #41

Backed boat trailer and utility trailers for years. First TT was small 18 1/2 ft was pretty easy to control. New TT is 26 ft. I have invested in a back up camera and it helps to see things you or your spotter cannot. As others have said. Practice until you feel comfortable.
Roger_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #42

Put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. The direction you move your hand is the direction the trailer will move. Repeat until proficient.
Seanpturner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tips, trailer