Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #15

@kdauto
Thanks, Yes, when I purchase it new (2014) I installed a transmission oil cooler, a class 3 hitch, and a 4 pin trailer connection with a box that plugged into a connector near the tail lights on the driver side. That has a line to battery with a 15A fuse.
I have another line from battery to brake controller with a 15A fuse.
And I have another line from the battery to the AUX/+12V pin 2 (7 pin connector) with a 20A fuse.
So, far I can't find a good reason for installing a resettable breaker/fuse.
OK, I don't have to carry/replace fuses, but if a fuse blows there is a problem, right?
If there is a problem, it needs to be fixed. If the fuse is resetting, it is just stressing the fuse and not supplying me with any warning until........Do you have a better reason?
ruggb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggb View Post
@kdauto
Thanks, Yes, when I purchase it new (2014) I installed a transmission oil cooler, a class 3 hitch, and a 4 pin trailer connection with a box that plugged into a connector near the tail lights on the driver side. That has a line to battery with a 15A fuse.
I have another line from battery to brake controller with a 15A fuse.
And I have another line from the battery to the AUX/+12V pin 2 (7 pin connector) with a 20A fuse.
So, far I can't find a good reason for installing a resettable breaker/fuse.
OK, I don't have to carry/replace fuses, but if a fuse blows there is a problem, right?
If there is a problem, it needs to be fixed. If the fuse is resetting, it is just stressing the fuse and not supplying me with any warning until........Do you have a better reason?
Blow a fuse for brakes means zero brakes until you replace fuse and fix it. You might only find out when the unit is not slowing down anymore. A slight overload and the breaker can reset, allowing you to brake safely that last time down hill. THEN, stop and FIX it!

If you draw the trailer battery dead when hooking up you'll likely kill a fuse. The breaker will reset until there's enough battery charge to simply keep charging from the vehicle alternator.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 04:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggb View Post
@Old-Biscuit Thanks
I have a RAV4 and I am looking at a Forest River Rockwood A122.
I am going to see a 2018 on Tues. It sounds good. Supposedly used 2x.
I finally got the 7 pin and brake controller connected. I should get first power today and see if I can get it checked out.
What's the towing capacity on your model of RAV4? I really never thought about towing with one...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
What's the towing capacity on your model of RAV4? I really never thought about towing with one...
factory spec is 1500#.
I have added a transmission cooler. Not sure it will tow 2500# but the TC should eliminate transmission issues.
For 2020, the Adventure model is exactly the same as an LTD except for the TC, very slightly larger brakes, and an oil cooler which adds about 1/8 qt of oil. IE, it is pretty small. The LTD is the same 1500# spec as my 2014 and the Adventure is 3500#. The new RAVs have about 25HP more than mine. I still have not purchased the trailer and still wondering about my logic. So if the basic difference is the TC and the HP and I am looking at 2500#, I figure it should be good. OH, mine is also 2wd not 4wd, but the new LTD vs Adventure is 4wd to 4wd. Obviously, hitch weight is a concern but the 2019 Adventure had a 2wd version rated at 2900#.
ruggb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, trailer