Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #1

trailer brake wiring

I have a 2006 Coachman Leprechaun on an E450 chassis. It has the 7 round plug out back and I want to add a brake controller. I was looking under the dash to see where I would plug in the controller and it looks like there might already be a pigtail in the connector with the orange wire going to a fused circuit which I am assuming is for the constant hot at the 7 round? Does this look like all I need to do is match colors to the existing pigtails to a brake controller?

Riverratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 07:37 PM   #2

Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
You might be able to use something like this, instead of having to splice them in

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...ha/3035-P.html

here is their website you can plug your vehicle in to see

http://www.tekonsha.com/products/bra...E5QimdiojKENQp
Old 10-31-2015, 08:10 PM   #4

I just went back out and looked to see what I would do with the orange wire if I used the regular 4 wire pig tail and I found this when I pulled the carpet back. I think this would be the correct one.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Riverratt-

The first connector is a "pass-through" connector. It allows signals and power to pass from one side of the firewall to the other. It is not the brake controller connector.

The second connector is the usual color (brown) for a brake controller connector. But the wire colors don't seem to match what's shown in Ford's documentation at this URL:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...lectrical.html

According to the diagram on page 268 (that is, the first page of the PDF file) at that URL, the brake controller 6-pin connector has the following wires (on the harness side):

Light blue and black - 12V
Light green - brake signal to electric brake controller
Dark blue - electric brake controller signal to trailer hitch socket
Brown - Headlamp switch
Black - Ground

I don't think there's a third 6-pin connector under the dash, but am not sure of that. I am sure your coach has a brake controller connector, so no splicing is required. I have to load a DVD on my computer to bring up the E-450 harness wiring diagrams. I'll do that and report back what I find.

I assume you plan to tow a trailer with electric brakes behind your motorhome. If you plan to tow something different, please let us know.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Riverratt-

OK, I'm back. The 2006 and 2007 E-450 wiring diagrams show the following color codes for the electric brake connector:

Red - 12V
Light green - brake signal to electric brake controller
Dark blue - electric brake controller signal to trailer hitch socket
Black - Ground

I can't explain the differences between the wire colors listed in the service manual (above) and the Body Builders Manual for which I sent a link earlier.

This almost matches your second connector picture; the only difference is there's a light green with blue instead of a dark blue.

The Ford documentation says for a 2006 the connector is near the fuse box, against the driver-side kick panel. That's where I found mine. It may be tied to wiring on the left-hand side of the steering column in a 2007.

I'll keep investigating.

Mark
Old 10-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #7

Thank you for looking. I just went out and looked at it again. It is all the way to the left behind the emergency brake pedal taped to some other wires. The blue is a solid blue without any green on it. I don't know why it looks like it in the picture. Your second post would make sense becasue I have been looking at pig tails and the 4 common colors would not match up with my 4 colors in my plug but your description in what the wires are seams to make sense.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:10 PM   #8

I just pulled up these wiring instructions for the pigtail that is supposed to work on my chassis and the description of the sockets on the pig tail matches what I have perfect even though the colors are different.
http://www.towingproducts.net/Applic...ns/N3035-P.pdf
Old 11-01-2015, 04:12 AM   #9

Riveratt-

Funny about the color shift due to the camera flash. That's something for me to remember.

You've identified everything you need to activate an electric brake controller on your coach. Let us know how your installation turns out.

Mark
Old 11-01-2015, 04:45 AM   #10

FWIW If you have not found them the wire for the brakes at the rear is laced up over the gas tank. I have no idea why they do not make a cable and plug for it but evidently no one does. etrailer sells the cable from the controller to the flat connector Ford puts under the dash.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW If you have not found them the wire for the brakes at the rear is laced up over the gas tank. I have no idea why they do not make a cable and plug for it but evidently no one does. etrailer sells the cable from the controller to the flat connector Ford puts under the dash.
I have not looked for the wires yet. I was hoping since it was wired with a 7 round already that the wires were run all the way?
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 AM   #12

Somebody may have finished the wiring. Ford splits the wiring from the front to the rear into two cables if you look at the schematic. The lights and turn signals are in one and the brakes in another. If they are all at the connector you can rejoice. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:35 AM   #13

Riverratt-

I'm with you and "nothermark" in thinking that if a 7-pin connector is there then the wiring probably is complete between front and rear.

There's an active iRV2 thread here for the case where the wiring doesn't go all the way. It has a picture of the connectors "nothermark" mentions in post #10 above. Hopefully you'll be reading that thread because you're curious, not because you need to do anything with the information.

Mark

Tags
brake, wiring