Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #1

Question Trailer Brakes and Stabilizer Setup

Newbie here. I pull a 2003 Coachmen 24TBG with my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi. I towed it today for 90 miles over mostly county and state roads, avoiding major highways. My trailer was empty but for the cover in the rear storage. No propane or batteries were on board. The trip was uneventful but for one thing:

When braking, it "feels" like the trailer is braking first. My truck's brakes are newer, within the last 10 months. Upon braking i could feel the truck being tugged backwards a bit. When I approached coming to a complete stop the tugging feel increased and sort of pulsed a few times. Any ideas about this or am I just being welcomed into the wonderful world of towing with common occurrences?

When setting my stabilizer bars, should I have to use a bar for leverage to lock them into position? Is being able to do it by hand not appropriate?

Thanks for all your feedback.
jbiondi24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #2

Use your tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer with the truck attached. This will unload the bar's spring tension and make them easier to hook up. My experience is you will still need some leverage.

If you have a Tenkonsha Prodigy or Primus brake controller, it will have a "boost setting" which determines the percentage of power supplied to the brakes when first initiated. Maybe you need to turn that down.

Sometimes, if the trailer hasn't been towed in a while, the drums will rust up and cause the brakes to grab. This should wear off in short order. good luck.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #3

Truck/trailer brakes should be synchronized so that truck brakes stop truck and trailer brakes stop trailer in conjunction with each other

See pg 12
https://www.tritontrailers.com/wp-co...XLE-MANUAL.pdf
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 AM   #4

Maybe I am wrong but I like the trailer brakes to start a micro second before the truck brakes. You can adjust the brake controller gain + or - to get the feel that you like.

I had a rig back in 2008 that was good on back roads. Up to 55 mph or so was perfect for trips to the local State Parks.

In 2011 when I took this rig on the highway it was a real handful with wind and semi tractor trailers pushing me around. My rig was not good for highway travel.

Propane and Battery will add about 200 lbs to the tongue.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiondi24 View Post
No propane or batteries were on board.
You absolutely need at least one battery hooked up and connected to support the trailer's braking system in the event your trailer should become disconnected from your tow vehicle. Please do this before you tow again.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaChris View Post
You absolutely need at least one battery hooked up and connected to support the trailer's braking system in the event your trailer should become disconnected from your tow vehicle. Please do this before you tow again.

Best regards,
Chris
I dont condone it one bit, but not everywhere requires a breakaway setup.

I like my brakes set up so i dont feel them. If the gain is too high it will cause the tongue weight to increase and squat the truck some. I personally turn them up to where i can feel them engaging then ill turn them down until i dont feel them anymore. You dont want them so high that if you hit the brakes it will lock up the trailer. This will cause you to lose control in a panic stop.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
I dont condone it one bit, but not everywhere requires a breakaway setup.
I'm guessing even empty, that TT is maybe 3,000 lbs. If I was sharing the road with him, I'd want the breakaway setup to be functional.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer