Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #1

Trailer Brakes Setup

Purchased our trailer last year. Setup my Tekonsha P3 so that it seemed adequate, especially on B1 boost. This year when I pulled the trailer out of storage, it just didn’t seem to engage as much as last year. No problem, I’ll reset it soon.

Before I do, I just wanted to reach out and see if there is any advice or thoughts on consistency. It seems like I set things up last year to be workable, but the results would vary so much that I haven’t had a lot of confidence that I’ve got it as optimal as possible. Sometimes feels good, but then lock up, and then can’t get it to lock up regardless of how high I crank the settings. Besides watching the YouTube videos, does anyone have any tips on setting these up so I can be confident in what I’ve got happening, or is it just get to where they don’t lock up and feel like normal braking without the trailer?

Hope all this makes some sort of sense.
Refugee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 09:21 AM   #2

Almost sounds like a bad/corroded electrical connection or ground.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 01:02 PM   #3

I don't have a ton of experience with brake controllers, but I can share a somewhat similar experience that I had. I used to have a Tekonsha Voyager controller, and at one point I had water get into the 7-way receptacle on my TV (without a trailer attached, but with the controller still in the vehicle). It was enough to complete the circuit between the brake power contact and the ground contact, which caused the controller to light up like it thought a trailer was connected. Happened while I was driving down the road, so I couldn't exactly not use the brakes. Next time I hooked up the trailer, the brakes would grab very hard, and adjusting the power and/or level down had very little effect. I presume driving/braking with water in the 7-way plug and no trailer connected somehow fried the controller.

Not exactly like your symptoms, but similar enough to make me wonder if your controller is malfunctioning.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:22 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I’ll see how it feels when I do the next adjustment and then look deeper if need be.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:17 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Have you worn the rust off the trailer brakes and then adjusted the brakes so they are correct? This could be a major factor....
Old 04-19-2022, 07:37 PM   #6

Blast your contacts with electric contact cleaner, then apply dielctric grease for your 7way whip and socket
Old 04-22-2022, 11:00 AM   #7

Will do both those recommendations. Thank you!!
Old 04-23-2022, 04:46 AM   #8

Following. I just yesterday installed my Tekonsha P3 and put the settings on 6 and Boost 2 for my trailer. Got it to brake the trailer but not lock up. Honestly it's the first time I've ever really felt the trailer help in the braking process. Hopefully everything will work out for you.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #9

That’s awesome, Lanny. I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it and get it dialed in…

Tags
brake, brakes, trailer