Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

Trailer cameras display thru TV monitor?

Got a new tt and will be putting a rear view camera of some kind (Furrion?) on it. I am in the market for a new truck and am wondering if anyone knows if any come with ability to have camera input to the tv monitor? Would be nice to not have the separate camera kit monitor.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Unfortunately most if not all in dash screens are not compatible with aftermarket wireless cameras. There may be a back door with a hard wired camera. Research required for that.

I have a Furrion wireless with the 4.3" screen. I really like it. I have the screen mounted low on my windshield in the middle. Keeps my eyes on the road when taking a look behind the trailer.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kone View Post
Got a new tt and will be putting a rear view camera of some kind (Furrion?) on it. I am in the market for a new truck and am wondering if anyone knows if any come with ability to have camera input to the tv monitor? Would be nice to not have the separate camera kit monitor.
While I'm still pulling for the Ram in general, The Ford F-250 with it's Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System, appears it might work with a remote camera connected via the SYNC system? Hint: the Silver Spruce Green F-250 at Keller has it on the window sticker...
https://youtu.be/ylZSsi3RHqs
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

Ultimate Cameras

I have a 17 King Ranch and have to say that Ford really screwed the pooch with it. The cameras stop working after you start driving. In addition the display is not Hi resolution. I had the system modified to allow proper operation. I do not remember if the trailer mounted camera worked as delivered while underway.
I will say that the Fords mirrors are very good and I no longer feel the need for a camera other than at the rear of the trailer. Ford has claimed that it's for safety and legal reasons. Of course just about every class A made has side and rear cameras that function underway.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

Quote:
2020 GMC and Chevy HD series are slated to come with the "invisible trailer" feature and from what I've read, an aftermarket rear camera on the trailer will sync with the cameras on the truck, creating virtually no blind spots even when driving.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
2020 GMC and Chevy HD series are slated to come with the "invisible trailer" feature and from what I've read, an aftermarket rear camera on the trailer will sync with the cameras on the truck, creating virtually no blind spots even when driving.
Thanks. Might have to wait (not sure I'm liking design Im seeing tho).
Old 04-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdenn View Post
I have a 17 King Ranch and have to say that Ford really screwed the pooch with it. The cameras stop working after you start driving. In addition the display is not Hi resolution. I had the system modified to allow proper operation. I do not remember if the trailer mounted camera worked as delivered while underway.
I will say that the Fords mirrors are very good and I no longer feel the need for a camera other than at the rear of the trailer. Ford has claimed that it's for safety and legal reasons. Of course just about every class A made has side and rear cameras that function underway.
Are you meaning the "Ultimate" camera system? That's one of the features I'm wanting on my F250. You aren't happy with it? It's a $$ item.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal_Dave View Post
While I'm still pulling for the Ram in general, The Ford F-250 with it's Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System, appears it might work with a remote camera connected via the SYNC system? Hint: the Silver Spruce Green F-250 at Keller has it on the window sticker...
https://youtu.be/ylZSsi3RHqs
After seeing those hill run tests of the Ram 2500 (yes with the 4.10s) I don't think so...
Old 04-09-2019, 06:16 PM   #9

That is it.
I suggest you try it out at a dealer. I went in that direction because I was determined to avoid adding another screen to the interior. The kit allows for a wired camera at the rear with a new 7/12 connector at the bumper. All told it added up to big dollars. You have the option cost, rear camera, mod to allow the cameras to work at speed. I also relocated the 7/12 connector into the bed.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks. Might have to wait (not sure I'm liking design Im seeing tho).
I can agree with you on that, and I'm a GM fan as far as pickups go!

The latest images I've seen are much easier on the eyes than the ones I saw just 6 to 12 months ago, man was that ugly! I think they are massaging the final versions or teasing us?
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:45 PM   #11

GM was a no go due to the weight of the trailer. Not withstanding my comments on the camera I do like the truck.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

The new GM trucks might be out in 2 or 3 months. I want to see if they are if they do the same thing as they do on their 1500 series trucks. That is list the max tongue weight on the door label.

Plus the new GM 6.6 litre gasoline engine.

The new 2020 GM should compete well with Ford and Ram.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, monitor, trailer