Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Trailer sway

More info on my trailer sway .I am pulling a 2015 Jayco white hawk 24RBS ultra lite.
My hitch is a pro series weight distribution hitch. Rating 1000# tongue weight 10,000# load weight. my matching sway bar is a pro series also.
My trailer weight is 4460# unloaded vehicle weight. And the GVWR is 5950#. Length of trailer is 27' 8"..

The problem is the trailer sways when semi trucks pass. The semi sucks my trailer and my F150 pickup toward them.
gjw319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 04:52 PM   #2

If you don't have LT tires on the truck get them.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw319 View Post
More info on my trailer sway .I am pulling a 2015 Jayco white hawk 24RBS ultra lite.
My hitch is a pro series weight distribution hitch. Rating 1000# tongue weight 10,000# load weight. my matching sway bar is a pro series also.
My trailer weight is 4460# unloaded vehicle weight. And the GVWR is 5950#. Length of trailer is 27' 8"..

The problem is the trailer sways when semi trucks pass. The semi sucks my trailer and my F150 pickup toward them.
Yup, physics at work. If you are using a friction type sway bar ditch it and get a good cam lock antisway system which normally works in conjunction with your WD hitch system.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #4

It's totally about getting the hitching dialled in. My old TT was same length as yours but heavier. I pulled it with an F150 (stock P tires) and never had any issues with passing road tractors or motor coaches, through some of the windiest parts of eastern Canada (where it is not unheard of for road tractors to get blown over). I'd like to say it was something I did, but the truth is that the dealer set it all up for me and plain did a good job.
jonnyaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

sway

I pull at 35 ft TT and don't have that problem. I used at one time on my old TT a friction type bar anti sway and had that problem. since then I have upgraded to a 35 ft and use a reese four point hitch. much better towing and absolutely no sway problems at all
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #6

Coastal Campers
OP says he has a pro series hitch, so if it set up properly, it should provide decide sway control. Lots of times trailers get "squirrely" when there is not enough weight on the tongue. The only way to find out for sure it to load the rig up ready to travel (including TV passengers and equipment), and get it weighed.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 PM   #7

Are you positive you're setup properly? You need at least 12+% for tongue weight. You also need to make sure the front of the truck is returned to at least 1/2 of the hitched-unhitched measurement. If you front fender measures 40" unhitched and after setting just the coupler on the ball the front measures 42", then you need to adjust the WDH so you have 41"-40" but not less than 40".
Also the TT needs to be parallel to the ground or slightly lower in the front as opposed to slightly lower in the rear.
Your Truck tires need to be inflated to the max on the sidewall if stock OEM size tires. Your TT tires need to be inflated to the PSI shown on the TT's tire and load sticker. Usually it's the max on the sidewall.

I will add that SOME push pull is normal. If you're white knuckling it then maybe its more than normal.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:41 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
F150 might have the power to tow the trailer but does not have the suspension to control the trailer.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
F150 might have the power to tow the trailer but does not have the suspension to control the trailer.

Cant agree more with you
kal0705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw319 View Post
That's what I call a cheap hitch. It's probably effective for weight distribution - provided it's properly set up and adjusted - but it's inadequate for sway control, even if you add a second sway bar.

Pro Series is the bottom of the line of Reese WD hitches. Throw it away and replace it with a Reese Strait-Line with trunnion bars. The Strait-Line will cost about twice as much as the Pro Series, but it's worth it.

Or while hitch shopping, consider other brands. Equal-I-Zer and Blue Ox SwayPro are in the same class as the Reese Strait-Line, and cost about the same (~$1000 MSRP, $500 to $700 online). The Husky CenterLine HD #31390 with 1000# spring bars is also in the same class but will probably cost a bit more complete with spring bars. Or if you want the best available but at a much higher price, then get a ProPride.

(If you've ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be sure it never happens again. That's why I tow my TT with a ProPride and pay careful attention to weight distribution in the trailer to achieve about 13% to 14% tongue weight).
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #11

I have a set of Reese Dual cams for sale if your interested. They work with just about all standard WDH's.
jconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:16 PM   #12

I had that issue, probably much worse towing a 5,000 lb trailer with a tiny Honda Ridgeline. When I bought a F-150 The issue was gone. I was very happy with the way the F-150 towed that trailer.

I only had a WD hitch.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #13

I might be interested in the dual cams. What are you asking?
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:29 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I pull a new 34 ft travel trailer that weighs approximately 8,000 lbs loaded with a 2017 Ford F-150 crew cab short box 4x4 with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost and 10-speed automatic transmission. I have the Equal-I-Zer 10,000lb model weight distribution hitch with the friction sway bolts set at 80 ft-lbs. Have 5 washers in my Equla-I-Zer hitch to properly redistribute the weight distribution. Also changed out factory 4-ply tires to 10-ply, added rear suspension helper leaf springs, added a Hellwig rear sway bar, and upgraded the front sway bar with a Hellwig as well. All this and I still get a slight sway when I am passing semis. The sway is toward the semi and occurs when the back half of my trailer is approaching the front of the semi. I am convinced this is caused by air turbulence ... from the air flow being directed around the front of the semi then into the side of the back half of the trailer behind the axels causing sway. Those with 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks are able to “adsorb” much of this sway feeling due to being heavier and longer as well. One must remember I am pulling a trailer that is 14 ft longer than my truck and weighs approximately 2,500 lbs more than the truck as well. Over time I have gotten used to the slight sway going around the semis, correct my steering slightly to compensate, and no longer white knuckle these events.
UtahEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer