Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2019, 04:17 AM   #15

I'm thinking that unless you are really overpacking, your total trailer weight should be around 6500 lbs. That being said, I think you should be fine with a good hitch. I owned a Hensley hitch back when we had a heavier 28' Sunline trailer and the Hensley hitch certainly works. When we had a 27' Minnie, I used the 4 point Equalizer hitch along with a Tundra towing around 6500 lbs. and the trailer never swayed. So, with a good anti sway weight distributing hitch, you should be ok.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2019, 04:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooterville View Post
I think I have to much trailer for the truck.
I agree with your own assessment
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #17
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
At 7000 lbs you are at the limit of what I would pull with a half ton. Both of your information sources are salesmen and want your money so they will say whatever it takes to make the sale. I agree with several of the above though with a properly adjusted hitch with sway control, no matter the brand, you should be ok. It may not be a "pull it like it isn't there situation" but it will be tolerable. If it is struggling over 60 mph don't drive over 60 mph. You shouldn't go above 65 anyway as that is most likely the limit of your TT tires. Proper load balancing in the TT will make all the difference in the world so if it sways a lot move your belongings forward. If it "feels" heavy move some aft. Going through the process of a proper scaling will give you a baseline to work with.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #18

I am thinking the hitch is my first move here. With everything I am reading I wonder why these RV Dealers don,t have scales at there dealerships to help people set upto be safe. I am a first timer and with the sway I have now I don,t trust the truck enough to go anywhere. Not going to jeopardize my family or anybody on the road. Still working on a solution. Thanks for the advise
Hooterville is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer