Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer Tire Question

Hi all, new hear, so if this post is in the wrong place please move it. Got this trailer for free and have a question.

In a nutshell, how do I determine the "suggested maximum speed" for a small utility trailer that might get towed behind our beast? It is a small/older "Harbor Freight" utility trailer with 8 inch wheels. The wheels are in good shape, but I cannot find a "speed" rating on the tire or anywhere online. Unless otherwise stated, I am assuming all smaller utility trailer tires are rated at a maximum speed of 65 mph, but just want to be sure, and I cannot find any info about this tire online. The trailer itself is rated at 1100 pounds towing capacity, but it will never see more than 400 pounds.

The tire is a Duro Trailer 4.80/4.00-8 and here is a picture

Any help on this would be great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220616_165603.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	368516  
CoffeeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2022, 05:04 AM   #2

Looks like speed rating is 45 mph, read the link below.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-58514.html
Old 06-17-2022, 06:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Hi all, new hear, so if this post is in the wrong place please move it. Got this trailer for free and have a question.

In a nutshell, how do I determine the "suggested maximum speed" for a small utility trailer that might get towed behind our beast? It is a small/older "Harbor Freight" utility trailer with 8 inch wheels. The wheels are in good shape, but I cannot find a "speed" rating on the tire or anywhere online. Unless otherwise stated, I am assuming all smaller utility trailer tires are rated at a maximum speed of 65 mph, but just want to be sure, and I cannot find any info about this tire online. The trailer itself is rated at 1100 pounds towing capacity, but it will never see more than 400 pounds.

The tire is a Duro Trailer 4.80/4.00-8 and here is a picture

Any help on this would be great
It isn't the tire that is the question, it is the running gear as in axle, bearings, what holds it all together. I had one of the Harbor Freight "specials" at 200 bucks once and sold it two years later at 125 so I was good to go...and they are basically good for what they are and that is for short trips NOT on the highway and I repeat, NOT on the highway at 50 mph tops. I ran across a good deal on a small 4X8 trailer at Lowes a couple years after and it has highway running gear so I can put whatever tires I want on it...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Looks like speed rating is 45 mph, read the link below.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-58514.html
Thanks. I spotted that post after a Google search, but that info came from the person requesting information, not eTrailer, so not sure where they found that information. It's weird, almost all info I find about any "trailer tire" states a 65mph suggested maximum speed, but who knows. I found other people that built out their Harbor Freight trailers (turned into cargo trailers) so I might reach out to them as well. I definitely appreciate the info/warnings, will proceed cautiously. Thsnks
CoffeeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 03:04 PM   #5

Trailer tires.......speed rated at 65 mph

NOT small utility trailer tires

But then again you see folks buzzing down the Interstates with 12" tires Zinging along

For me......I wouldn't push more then 60 mph
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #6

I ran that same size tire on a DIY trailer I made for towing behind my Goldwing. I ran whatever speed I wanted. I also aired it way down because the trailer and gear weighed less than 250lbs. So very little weight on the tire it's self. The hardest thing on trailer tires is running them near or over capacity at high speeds.
I probably put 5,000 miles on that little trailer and the tires showed zero wear.
This was back on 2007 and yes that C clamp was just to get a perspective on hit it all sat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thule trailer wing.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	368659  
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #7

I have a lawnmower with bigger tires than that. I wouldn't tow that on the freeway unless I had to.

Compare to an average "car" tire of say 26" diameter. At 65mph, that 16" diameter tire and the bearings holding it onto the trailer think they're doing 105mph!

That said I towed alot of snomachines alot of miles on the little fat snowmobile tire trailers. Worked fine, but I replaced far more tires, bearings, spun bearings etc than ALL 14" rim or larger trailers, which have had far more miles than that poor sled trailer.
It'll work, those tires that are on it look like they'll blow at highway speeds and grease the bearings regularly. Good luck!
Grit dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:03 PM   #8

The Harbor Freight owner's manual for their current trailers states "Do not exceed
45 miles per hour when towing the trailer."

Tags
tire, trailer