Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Well, the original Youtube video is almost 3 years old"

Thanks for posting that as I'm unwilling to sell my soul to Zuckerburg for free

I wonder if the wind coming off the truck had an unexpected impact? I do not mean she was being safe. Just curious if the air pressure coming off that rig was the straw that broke the camels back. It kind of looks like the RV trailer and truck/SUV got sucked into the big rig and he got out of shape while going too fast, over corrected and as others mentioned too light of tongue weight.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 10:38 PM   #30

The driver posted up on at least one discussion forum about this shortly after it happened. I don't recall the details, but the video does not tell the entire story. The driver would not admit it but I think the generator on the rear did not help the situation at all, and yes, had he quickly locked down the trailer brakes, it probably would have stabilized it. If I recall, part of the issue was that he had found a critical part of his hitch cracked, and something was not set up correctly when it was put back together. It was a long and convoluted story and he quickly tired of defending himself.

Charles
Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Yep, captured on video OVER TWO YEARS AGO and posted on Youtube originally. Probably hundreds of posts judging this guy on this forum alone, already in numerous threads.
X2 I was thinking the same thing.
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:34 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
The driver posted up on at least one discussion forum about this shortly after it happened. I don't recall the details, but the video does not tell the entire story. The driver would not admit it but I think the generator on the rear did not help the situation at all, and yes, had he quickly locked down the trailer brakes, it probably would have stabilized it. If I recall, part of the issue was that he had found a critical part of his hitch cracked, and something was not set up correctly when it was put back together. It was a long and convoluted story and he quickly tired of defending himself.

Charles
There were plenty of reasons why this happened and I am sure as stated the video doesn't tell the entire story but the truth is it stems from an unbalanced load and the driver. Thank goodness he didn't drag another vehicle into the accident. If you look closely truck and trailer are tied together all the way to the point of being upside down so the hitch didn't fail as stated in one of the comments by the driver. Now was it setup properly no one will know. I will say it is never a good plan to load something on/attached to the rear of a travel trailer. They are somewhat engineered to carry a specific balanced load in the trailer but not on the extremities of the trailer. My best guess was the way it was loaded, the speed at which the driver was pulling it, and the turbulence from the 18 wheeler caused the situation but the drivers lack of knowledge and experience allowed the accident to happen.

I travel a lot and have seen many camper trailers and in the past years cab over campers strewn all over the highway.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #33

I think he should have been happy going 65 and not passing. When driving you must be one with your rig. This clearly shows no concept of the rig.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #34

About 2 seasons ago we were in the right lane of a wide 4 lane going up a steep mountain highway out west, and coming down, across all 4 lanes, was a double axle fifth wheel and truck, both laying on their sides. We could barely get around. Since there were a number of other vehicles stopped we kept going. Point is that crap happens, very fast, sometimes.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I had a trailer of gravel that was too heavy towards the back and one side start to do that to me when I hit that 'critical speed' as uHaul calls, nearly crapped my pants. It was around 45-50 mph in my instance.

Almost tipping the lights fantastic once was enough for me to always double check how my load is now before leaving the pit!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #36

Driving too fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Too much trailer, too little truck? Improper loading? Too much crap hanging on the rear bumper of the trailer causing too little tongue weight? We may never know, the answer is likely a little bit of everything I mentioned.

Stay safe and overestimate your needs and load. Slow down a bit and use common sense.

https://www.facebook.com/RoadTalesPo...A2MTgxNTAxNTU/
Most semis are not below the speed limit and this guy is passing. Some people just have no sense.k
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:10 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Too much trailer, too little truck? Improper loading? Too much crap hanging on the rear bumper of the trailer causing too little tongue weight? We may never know, the answer is likely a little bit of everything I mentioned.

Stay safe and overestimate your needs and load. Slow down a bit and use common sense.

That's what you call going too fast with too small a truck with too big of a trailer with no anti-sway system installed
elees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #38

I hate that stretch. Most everyone is flying down that hill. The guard rails tell the story as they are missing or bent up and if raining, I think they speed up
dans1999f-53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #39

Wife won't tow

And this is why my Wife will not let me get a camper. OR at least a travel trailer. I am trying to get one so we can have date night again on the weekends. Have a 06 Navigator with big V8 and air ride. Sticker says 8500lbs loaded. So I think we can be safe with anything below 5100lbs. Just hard to find a nice camper in our price range that isn't smoke in or looks like someone has live in it for 20yrs..lol
Old 06-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #40

Quote:

Look at the speed, wind, and the ratio of the hitch to rear hub and hitch to bumper. If the ratio is under 57 then it is inherently unstable. Add wind and speed the results are obvious. The same is true for all motor homes. Short wheel base vs long overhang is dangerous. Not against the law to design and sell though.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #41

Would it have turned out differently with a Hensley Hitch?

I think so. Comments?
Big Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:37 PM   #42

Too much speed and likely rear springs were too soft to handle the tongue. I dont know why those guys pulling trailers always think they have to tow fast.

Tags
tow, towing, trailer