Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer towing fail captured on video

Too much trailer, too little truck? Improper loading? Too much crap hanging on the rear bumper of the trailer causing too little tongue weight? We may never know, the answer is likely a little bit of everything I mentioned.

Stay safe and overestimate your needs and load. Slow down a bit and use common sense.

https://www.facebook.com/RoadTalesPo...A2MTgxNTAxNTU/
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We seen the results of something like this yesterday on I-17 headed to Phoenix on the long downhill grade.
Similar sized trailer flattened and exploded. Tow vehicle had already been removed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4859.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	287063
Old 05-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
We seen the results of something like this yesterday on I-17 headed to Phoenix on the long downhill grade.
Similar sized trailer flattened and exploded. Tow vehicle had already been removed.
Attachment 287063

I'm not on facebook, but that pic above looks horrific.

But the way trailers are made, I wonder how much force was actually needed for it to come apart like that.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 AM   #4

Why did that guy not take his foot off the gas and coast to a controlled speed? Seems he wanted to pass when he did not have enough truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Why did that guy not take his foot off the gas and coast to a controlled speed? Seems he wanted to pass when he did not have enough truck.
If he would have hit the trailer brake only, when it started to sway He probably would have saved it.
Panic is easy when not expecting a situation like this.

It happened to me because I never had my EQ set up properly. Trailer brakes saved me!
I was lucky I learned a lot about towing and EQ hitches from this site.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:35 PM   #6

Looks like he was pulling back in the right lane too soon, and jerked it back when he realized that, causing things to spiral out of control. As above, if he had let off the gas and applied the trailer brakes, he probably would have been fine. Trying to pass a big truck with that big camper probably wasn't the brightest move to begin with.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #7

Don't you actually want slight throttle with full trailer brake to stop sway?
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
Don't you actually want slight throttle with full trailer brake to stop sway?
It looked like the truck and camper were already at full throttle.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #9

Most tow vehicles nowadays have electronic stability control that would have prevented something like this. The ESC would have detected the sway, selectively applied the left/right brakes and cut the throttle.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #10

I think he had plenty of time to recover if he kept his cool. Passing a tractor trailer you have to get thru the big trucks bow wave. It looks like he did not anticipate the affect of the big truck and then panicked.

Kind like NASCAR when a car flys off the track. The air turbulance does affect travel trailers from the side the same way.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #11

Yep, captured on video OVER TWO YEARS AGO and posted on Youtube originally. Probably hundreds of posts judging this guy on this forum alone, already in numerous threads.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #12

You can still put a car, or a tow vehicle, in the ditch with ESC.

Now, add a 30-odd foot trailer and a dose of poor judgement and you’ve seen the results.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Yep, captured on video OVER TWO YEARS AGO and posted on Youtube originally. Probably hundreds of posts judging this guy on this forum alone, already in numerous threads.
I've been on this board daily for the last 3+ years and have never seen it (I feared it was the collapsing bank drive-thru roof )

Yeah, I agree with the others..... dangerous idea to pass with that setup, trailer brake would have likely saved him. Probably too much trailer for his SUV - couldn't tell if that was a 1500 or 2500. In any case, I'm sure his insurance didn't pay and he's in jail
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #14

It looks like a 1/2 ton to me. Too much trailer and not enough tow vehicle, perhaps poor trailer loading and too much speed.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer