Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2022, 09:06 AM   #1

Transport Companies

Thinking of going to work for a Transport company. Anyone out their work for one or has worked for one?
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2022, 03:31 PM   #2

I would only do this if I had a dually truck. I say this because I saw a single rear wheel truck towing a big DRV about 5 years ago in Kansas. I passed him because he was going slow. I was going to an RV dealer, the same RV dealer that this DRV was coming to. The guy in the SRW truck was a delivery guy. I asked him how the DRV towed. He said 'not good'. His SRW truck has to be overloaded.

He was towing from Indiana to Kansas. So be prepared to put a lot of miles on your truck. I am not sure if it would be profitable or not with the high cost of trucks and fuel.

I really don't know how you would get started but to ask around at local dealers.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 05:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would only do this if I had a dually truck. I say this because I saw a single rear wheel truck towing a big DRV about 5 years ago in Kansas. I passed him because he was going slow. I was going to an RV dealer, the same RV dealer that this DRV was coming to. The guy in the SRW truck was a delivery guy. I asked him how the DRV towed. He said 'not good'. His SRW truck has to be overloaded.

He was towing from Indiana to Kansas. So be prepared to put a lot of miles on your truck. I am not sure if it would be profitable or not with the high cost of trucks and fuel.

I really don't know how you would get started but to ask around at local dealers.

There are transport companies out of Indiana . Just Google . You can get by with an SRW but you will lose loads . Then again you will be paid by the mile . I the mileage pays the same whether you haul a huge 5 th wheel or a light tow trailer why have a dually if you are going to spend more in fuel . You usually have to deadhead back meaning you are only getting paid one direction . You cannot sleep in the trailer so you have to sleep in your truck which would suck . Along with maintaining an electronic log . Pay for whatever permits you may need buy food on the road . I spent 35 years on the road and have spoken to people that haul those RVs . Something l would never do . Unless something changed it does not pay enough .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #4

Jacknife brings up a good point. If a small trailer pays the same as a big trailer no need for a dually. I would say you need a 350/3500 series truck so you do not miss too many loads. Milan Ohio is kinda close to Jackson Ohio where they make airstream trailers. Maybe call the Airstream Factory and ask them how to get in the rotation of delivering Airsteam Trailers.

I am now thinking if you uses a big flatbed trailer maybe you could deliver a few trailers at a time. That might give you an advantage.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
Thinking of going to work for a Transport company. Anyone out their work for one or has worked for one?
When we were getting repairs done in Goshen a couple of years ago, I talked to some of the drivers and a couple of companies.

One thing they all said you need a Class A CDL, the companies also required mudflaps on the trucks, and you can pick and choose your trips. Two of the companies said you have to do at least 2 trips a month to stay on their active list.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:05 PM   #6

It would be a retirement gig for me, so its not like its my major source of income. By the time you pay for a loaded F-350 you can get a F-450 for not much more. Diesel prices are through the roof so I may have to wait until Trump is back in the Whitehouse
rubberduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberduckie View Post
It would be a retirement gig for me, so its not like its my major source of income. By the time you pay for a loaded F-350 you can get a F-450 for not much more. Diesel prices are through the roof so I may have to wait until Trump is back in the Whitehouse

Find a company that gives you100% of the diesel surcharge. If they don’t charge one don’t go to work for them .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:04 PM   #8

My buddy loves the open road, so he tried that for about 2 months. That was maybe 2015-ish? He said it only looked like he was making money, but budgeting for vehicle upkeep and eventual replacement turned it into a wash, if not a loss, in the long run for him. (I suppose there are different compensation packages out there.)

His wife got into it, too. They wound up driving hotshot deliveries until 2020, when things got really bad. Not as much work, and the work paid less. So he sold their 3 pickups (1 was for parts by then!) and 2 flatbed 5w trailers, and had enough to buy a used (20+ year old) gas moho.

A couple of months after all that, someone who owned several pickups & trailers asked him to drive one of his company rigs, all expenses covered except food, for a flat $1 a mile one way. He agreed, and he told me he was finally making money!! (That tells us something about costs and hassles of running one's own equipment.) Before long, though, the guy who owned this enterprise cried that he couldn't keep covering the motel costs. My buddy says he keeps chiseling like that every so often.

19' ETI Escape trailer
Rexlion is offline   Reply With Quote