Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2022, 03:10 PM   #15

How much driving will you be doing with the trailer?
This is a big question to figure out what tow vehicle to buy.

Some but not much driving then a truck is fine. A LOT of driving, then look past passenger vehicles.

Dually is my vote if a truck.

Those 6-wheel semi trucks used for city delivery like Coke uses, or the beer companies... Same class 8 rig, but in a smaller package. Those can tow any 5er out there like it is not even there, and can do so for a million miles before it even knows it. You will rag out a passenger truck pretty quick towing this behemoth.
These can be bought used at a good price.

As for size, bigger is not always better. Small campers fit into places, down roads etc. IF driving a lot then smaller is better. If only parked then it will not matter as much.
Bobertgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2022, 03:17 PM   #16

One other caveat before moving forward-- are you mechanically proficient and enjoy doing mechanical/electrical troubleshooting and repair?

If not, don't even consider owning an older truck and trailer.
Old 10-12-2022, 03:56 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
Just My 1.5 cents
Have 2 traveling nurses parked next door.
One has a new 30' 2 slide 5'er and a year old SRW 3/4 ton gasser.

The other has a 21 year old class A DP. [40' CountryCoach, single slide] pulling a small used toad.

Bottom line is that both will do the job and the monetary investments are nearly equal.
The new 5'er has a plethora of issues and has been in the shop for warranty work for the last 4 months..[roof leaks,plumbing.cabinets falling off the walls, flooring buckling, slides failing..and more]
They have been "doubling up" in the Motorcoach..until the 5'er returns, then it's owner has stated that She will be trading it off for an older 40' DP.. said that the Country Coach [and Our Foretravel] have "Spoiled Her" with their amenities..[Fiberglass roof, AquaHot, big shower, big tanks, residential fridge and a Stacked Washer & Dryer..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:47 PM   #18

Is OP coming back ?
Old 10-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownj623 View Post
Howdy folks! This is my first post and I'm in a bit of a pickle.. and could use some advice.

I'm a new travel nurse (5 years staff nurse) and with my housing stipend and how expensive furnished apartments and hotels are I've looked into getting a tow truck + 5th wheel for my girlfriend, I and our 2 cats. I figure I'd rather make monthly payments on my own assets rather than putting it into a renters pocket.

So this is where I'm at now..

I've got my eye on a 2015 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Long Bed Diesel for $38,000. 90k miles. 5th wheel hitch already included. I've got a pre approval for $40k (tax coverage) at 7.19%. Rates are insane at the moment. I would be selling my current truck of ~$13k value and probably refinance with the smaller loan amount and when rates are better. (Good idea or no?)

The diesel would be my daily driver as well.

I'm looking at around $35,000 for a 5th wheel.

In this price range I'm seeing a lot of BIG 40'+ 5th wheels in the 2012-2015 range for that price. It seems those are sometimes less expensive than 34' - 39'

You need to ask yourself why those larger 5th wheels sell for less - probably folks learned they were either too big (for their pocketbooks, their lifestyle, or when you can park them).

Since I would be full timing I had my eye on a larger 5th wheel. I went the 1 ton diesel route because I didn't want to have to purchase up to a larger vehicle if we wanted a bigger 5th wheel in the future. Well, first we were looking at travel trailers but the 5th wheels seem so much more appropriate for us.

A bigger than 40' in the future? Wow - how big do you want? Why? Wife and I can easily live in a 36' footer 7 months at a time - I never understood the large 5th wheels (except maybe for a large family).
A 5th wheel is more conducive to full timing than a TT (my opinion).

Would this truck trap us in the 37' foot or so range? Everything we look for that's a decent year in that range seems to be pushing $40k or so. We've found quite a few solid 5ers 40'+ at or below $35k.

I'm afraid it sounds like price is pushing your choice when need should be the driving factor. Sure - you probably have to go smaller - but again - you need to separate price from size from need from emotion.

What I DON'T want to do is:
- Overload my SRW (We may be going Northern Cali, we're in AZ at the moment - lots of mountains). Comfortable and safe towing is a high priority.
- Push the $35k budget on the 5er to find a nice one in the 37' - 39' range
See - you are back to buying price rather than need
- End up in a situation where I go with the 40' with the 1 ton SRW and then come to find out a DRW would have been more appropriate and end up needing to trade in the SRW for a DRW and lose thousands in trade in.

Tough predicament, but you seem to already know that a SRW is going to limit the length of the fiver you get.... so you will end up spending more for than planned getting a DRW or more than you planned getting a smaller RV. We've probably all been through this before.

I suppose I'm just not sure where to go exactly at this point. All of this is new to me. I've never taken out any loans at all aside from student loans and the emotional toll is clouding my judgement, I'm also not experienced with tow trucks and 5th wheels and don't know what I don't know. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and regret it.

The time frame of my travel career is open ended. If I end up wanting to stop, I plan to sell both the truck and the 5er. I read 5er's sharp deprecation happens at the 5 year old mark so we're looking in those year ranges. Diesel resale value is great as well.

good idea - get things where the depression has already taken the biggest hit.

Time is a factor as well, as housing here in Phoenix AZ is extremely hard to come by for the short term leases that we need, and they're extremely expensive. Our current rent is $2500/mo and that was a "deal" in comparison to a lot of places around here.

Should I hold out for a DRW? Should I purchase a 5er first and just pay to have it towed to a RV park, until I can find a DRW? Will the SRW be serviceable for those 16k GVRW?

Towed to parks ---- probably depends on how often you move.
btw..... don't forget to check park fees and availability where you want to go. I suppose that is a factor in all of this.

The 2015 GMC is really nice, the buyer is an older gentleman. His wife and him are super sweet and I trust what they say about nothing being wrong with the truck (though I'm doing my homework of course). I'd hate to end up with a truck that was tuned or had hidden issues as I'm no diesel expert, or car expert for that matter.

Time to check the CarFax and take it to a dealer for a full inspection.

Well, that's my story!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to make the wrong decision!
Any advice I have is disbursed throughout the above. Can't say I envy your position. But wish you the best in figuring all this out. Hopefully something I said helped.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #20

2015 3500 SRW.........MAX 5th wheel GVWR 16,000

If 5th wheel GVWR is higher than 16,000 then DRW
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #21

I think what you want to do is great! I too am an RN, went back decades ago to become a nurse practitioner (now retired!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and always wanted to travel but never got the chance, BUT, like most people on this blog, we have all had more than one RV and more than one kind of RV. I am convinced no one knows what they want until they have been through a few, so it doesn't matter what you buy!. We've had a bumper pull, a 5th wheel, really like it, but we now have a Super C, which We LOVE!!!! I wanted to get up and use restroom and fix a sandwich if I was hungry, can't do that in a 5th wheel. If you have never RV'd or camped, I would suggest starting off small. Maybe a bumper pull or a 5th wheel that you can don't have to have a dually. Having a dually for an everyday vehicle would just suck! I guarantee you one thing, if you really like RVing whatever you buy won't be your last! You just learn what you like and don't like etc. I say go for it girl!! Just go slow with it. Good luck!!
TXNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #22

We sold our 27' fifth wheel to a young couple a year ago--she was becoming a traveling nurse, he was an attorney who could work remotely. They bought a used Ram 2500 crew cab diesel to tow it between 3-month contract locations--NC-SC-FL in winter, CO in summer. They also kept their Subaru Outback as their daily driver. They are full-timing in it and enjoying the pay increase of travel nursing vs. permanent hospital employment.

My advice to the OP is based on years of snowbirding in AZ. Every RV park in the Phoenix area has a number of rental "park models." Rent one (without an "Arizona room") to see if you and your spouse can handle living full time in 399 sq. ft. with conventional residential appliances and utility hookups. While there, make as many acquaintances as possible among the fifth wheel owners in the park. Visit their RVs, look at the amenities and sizes of the appliances, discuss compromises they must make to travel with their home on wheels., and ask about repairs and modifications they have needed to make. Also discuss brands of fifth wheels to find which ones have the most enthusiastic owners who would buy the same brand again. Finally, subscribe to the RVTravel online newsletter and read their RV reviews, technical articles, and the wealth of information in their archived issues.

If you want to discuss specific ideas, PM me.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
Is OP coming back ?
Just over 24 hours. States he is a nurse, nurses tend to work ridiculous hours so it could be 2 or more days before he can have time to get back online and read through the responses.
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #24

Retired RNs here. Unless this is not your first RV, there will be a learning curve. We’ve been full timing for over a year now and it took a few months to get comfortable with a similar rig. I have driven nearly everything on wheels most of my life but this is unique. Get some practice. Start slow. Take an RV driving course. It’s a big leap. It can be fun. It should be fun.

Phil and Charon
Bigtoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #25

Give Happily Ever Hanks a look on YouTube.
They are a couple who started out as traveling nurses with a cat lol. Sound like they are right up your alley.
Chadlitenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #26

RV traveling RN

I’ve done this before. The host hospital found a RV park and negotiated the length of stay, to match my contract. I still had to pay park rent and other expenses.
The problem I had was licensing yes my BSN was universal, but I didn’t have a permanent address.
I lived full time in the 5th wheel and home was where I parked it.
Eventually I rented a space in a trailer park and used a P.O. Box. Then later I changed my address to a UPS store box that would forward my mail to a current location.
ac7nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:36 AM   #27

Check this out! This will help you TONS.

Fast Track - The Flipping Nomad
TXNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:27 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon455 View Post
Just over 24 hours. States he is a nurse, nurses tend to work ridiculous hours so it could be 2 or more days before he can have time to get back online and read through the responses.
I'm well aware.

Tags
tow, travel