Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2022, 07:42 PM   #1

Travel Trailer Speed

So in our MH we usually kept it around 70 mph. But we just purchased a newer dual axle travel trailer.

What would be the top speed you travel with a trailer on the highway being pulled with a truck? I know our interstate max is 75mph. I am very comfortable pulling trailers, but didn't know if 75mph is too fast for the bearings or tires.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2022, 07:46 PM   #2

The first thing I would do is check the tire speed rating on your TT tires.
You may find that a limiting factor.
Many are 65 MPH.
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:47 PM   #3

What's the hurry?

Towing a trailer one does NOT have the same stopping power, evasive reactions, maneuvering capabilities

Also....depending on brand/size of trailer tires may have a Speed Limit
65mph on some. Others maybe higher

Personally I travel at 65 mph when towing
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:19 PM   #4
PKI

This depends upon the conditions, the lash up of your rig and your skills. A 65mph travel speed is a good compromise. We have traveled at 70 or 75 under ideal conditions, but our rig was well balanced and low profile. Under less than ideal conditions, slowing to 50-55 mph has been our tactic. When the wind hits you hard as a mini-van passes you, slow down. When there are active micro-bursts, slow down even if you feel stable.

It also depends on the type of rig you are rolling. Fifth-wheels tow better, but are often tall enough to be top heavy under high winds. Bumper pulls can have the same tendency to be top heavy. Do not trust any rig until you carefully test it's capability.

Weight distribution and sway control are certainly issues you should research and resolve before you travel faster than 55 mph.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:35 PM   #5

Once a travel trailer starts swaying, you've lost it. 65 should be your limit.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:58 PM   #6

Be aware that in some states (like Washington) if you are towing a trailer of any kind, you are required to follow the truck speed limit signs. (generally 60, when cars can do 70)
Also check for limits on your trailer tires
Finally, trailers are much harder to stop in an urgent fashion, I tend to stay at or under the speed limit when towing, so there's no one in front of me.

Just leave earlier.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #7

Just like the others… Check your tire specs, because that will be your determining factor. Goodyear Endurance’s are speed rated at 87mph (N), while Carlisle’s Radial Trails are either L (75mph) or M (81mph). Even Castle Rocks (China Bombs) are speed rated at L (75mph).

I live in a 75mph interstate state, and 65mph on highways, and I most of the time have no problem going the speed limit with my TT. Proper towing setup is key.
Backcountry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 5th wheeler tires are rated at 83mph. I drive that rigs at a comfortable 65 mph. The truck is very cabable of towing much faster, but we're not in a hurry.

I agree that handling and stopping that weight at higher speeds becomes dangerous IMO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Once a travel trailer starts swaying, you've lost it. 65 should be your limit.
Depends on the severity. Applying the trailer brakes manually will almost always save it if you react quick enough. Stay off the truck brakes at that point.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:58 AM   #10

I generally set the cruise to 62-63. When not using the cruise control I occasionally get above 65…but I find that when driving that fast I can see the curvature of the earth on the horizon, so I back it down to 63
Mike in Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 03:52 PM   #11

We tow between 62 and 65. That is just comfortable speed. Can I go faster? easily. Do I have problems with sway at higher speeds? No. Just choose to go with what is comfortable.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:54 AM   #12

You'll be surprised to find that there's not that many kinds of wheel bearing out there. And they are generally all build the same. Your wheel bearing will go really fast for a long time. That will be the least of your weaknesses in speed and distance, as long as you properly maintain them.

Starting with a new TT, or any trailer, I will always pull the bearings and look a them. You can take the hub off without needing to replace the seals and inspect them. Most times, you'll find the absolute bare minimum grease put in that the mfg'ing time. While your in there, record the bearing and seal numbers so you easily order them later if needed.

Brakes are not always adjusted correctly as well, so doing this, even with a brand new rig, will give you assurance that they are done right from the beginning.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 AM   #13

I appreciate all the responses, sounds like I need to check the tire speed rating and also repack the bearings just to be sure everything is good to go.

I usually travel in the middle lane on the interstate, so I dont need to deal with people merging as much. That is why I was curious about what speed limit is normal. My thoughts were, I dont want to be in the middle lane going 10 under and cause a hazardous situation. Not in a rush as others stated.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:19 AM   #14

the tires on my 28' 6000# travel trailer are rated for 81 mph but I usually tow at 67-68. seems to be a good enough speed to get decent fuel mileage and not be a road rage victim. I usually set the cruise unless in hilly terrain otherwise I might find myself going faster than I like.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer