Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2022, 12:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Mines an FX4 but I hate stickers. It is a bit more than a decal, different shocks, metal skid plates (instead of card board), and only reason I wanted it, the e-locker.

When I bought my truck a friend said "Nice truck but you should have got an FX4." I said it is to which he replied "No it isn't, it doesn't have a sticker." Showed him the e-locker switch, made him crawl under to hit the skid plates.
You do not need to get Fx4 to get elocker. The elocker can be handy for towing as in help taking off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2022, 12:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
I'd think that if you are a boondocker and go way off road, the FX4 package with the payload reducing skid plates would be a requirement...
If you are towing a camper thru the woods or anywhere else, you are very unlikely to be skidding on the belly.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
You do not need to get Fx4 to get elocker. The elocker can be handy for towing as in help taking off.
Sure but my 8' bed F-150 was a bit of a Unicorn back when I bought it, only 2 of them in the province, one 600 miles away and one at my local dealer. Didn't have time or the desire to special order exactly what I thought I needed or wanted "at the time". So my truck is "good enough" and has served me very well for the past 6 years. But you are right and IF I ever did sit down to order a truck I would skip the FX4 and just make sure I got the elocker.

Here in Canada the Max Trailer Tow package gets you the elocker, and also now includes the HDPP package.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Sure but my 8' bed F-150 was a bit of a Unicorn back when I bought it, only 2 of them in the province, one 600 miles away and one at my local dealer. Didn't have time or the desire to special order exactly what I thought I needed or wanted "at the time". So my truck is "good enough" and has served me very well for the past 6 years. But you are right and IF I ever did sit down to order a truck I would skip the FX4 and just make sure I got the elocker.

Here in Canada the Max Trailer Tow package gets you the elocker, and also now includes the HDPP package.
Supercab, 8' box, max trailer tow; pretty cool (and rare) truck.

Dave
Old 11-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
I have a friend who bought an 18-foot toy hauler, and all the specs stated her truck would handle it just fine. she was within all her limits—pulled to where we were with no problem. On the way home, we fought heavy crosswinds, which scared her to death. The vehicle did not have the weight to control the trailer in the wind. She has stabilizer load equalizers and anti-sway. she still had to drive at a crawl. People fail to realize that all the numbers work in ideal road conditions. However, when road conditions get rough, it can cause severe problems and safety issues. I am sorry I spent 17 years as a commercial driver, and I can't even count how many accidents were caused by the tow vehicle not being good enough to stop or control the effect of the weather. My wife has an expedition Max rate at 9400 Pounds towing. We have a 24-foot cargo trailer empty is about 6600 pounds. I refuse to pull it with her vehicle due to the possibility of crosswinds which never occur in Texas. I refuse to be a statistic. My truck weighs in at 17,000 plus pounds. I don't worry about it.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
We are settling down from full time and selling the rig but still plan to travel with a smaller trailer and gas truck.* Been looking at a 8000# GVWR travel trailer and using a new Ford F150 with the Tow Max and 3.5L EcoBoost.* Just wondering who might be running such a rig.

We won't be taking long trips or to the mountains.* Be nice to hear from someone with the truck.

Ken
We have a 2021 F150 EcoBoost 3.5 L, Max Tow, 3:55's, pulling a 6K TT. Pulls great, we averaged 12 mpg at an average speed of 65mph over a 4 month road trip this year, all over the western US: covered just about every western state. Mountains no problem. This is our second F150 with this setup. Only change I would make is to get the truck with tow mirrors, the standard ones don't give a good view past the TT. I upgraded to powered tow mirrors at almost $2K that still don't work do to wire harness issues. I'd also check out the newer F150 hybrid, if I was buying now that is the one I would choose.
KJLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #35

Owned a 2011 King Ranch F150 with 3.5L EB and Max Tow and currently own Platinum 2022 F150 with 3.5L EB and Max Tow. With the 2011 towed 28 foot Look Trailer, tandem wheels with brakes with two door Jeep Wrangler and Road Glide Touring, Curt Equalizer/antisway hitch. Towed from Phoenix to Taos and Phoenix to Durango several times and back with the 2011 F150. Never had any concerns about stability, handling, acceleration. Can't say enough about the Curt Hitch system. Easily towed, stopped and handled thru mountains, two lanes and freeways with no concerns.

The 2022 F150 is an order of magnitude superior to the 2011 but I have not towed heavy with it. Do recommend the Curt Hitch if you plan to tow near the limits of your specifications. Truly amazing hitch. Hope that helps.
David55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2019 pulling 26’ TT

I have a 26’ TT which I believe is over 8000lb. I have a 2019 3.5 eco boost and it pulls it without any issues. Pulled trailer from Minneapolis to Glacier National Park this summer and had no problems. Got 9.8 mpg pulling at the speed limit.
BrewdogMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 06:42 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for all of the reports. As for the lady with the 18 FT trailer and towing issues, we have seen many that are not set up correctly on the hitch. If you have a good hitch with sway control and the trailer weights balanced properly, it should do pretty good. We have had travel trailers in the past and once set up properly, towing stability was not an issue.

Last bumper pull we had used a Reese Dual Cam and we never had an issue. Then there is always the Hensley Arrow or ProPride if you want to spend the big bucks.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #38

You get that Eco-Boost yet? If so, be very careful driving it solo as that is one powerful truck and it is easy to speed. If not, good luck finding one you want. I think pickings are slim and you might be better off ordering one. If I had to order one I would be hard pressed to order one that would fit in the garage.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing, trailer, travel, travel trailer