Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #15

I went TT style toy hauler because all the 5er with similar capability were much heavier unless you went to an ultra light and/or aluminum for more $$$.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #16

Consider the windage of the 5th wheel over truck's bed area. That would be one concrete difference that is universal. A 5th wheel will have more wind drag going down the road than a trailer. That's not arguable. Is that a real reason to choose one over the other?... probably not. You will most likely get 1 MPG less, or some other nominal amount, less fuel economy due to the windage.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think there have already been enough posts from people that have towed both to prove that 5ers get better fuel mileage than a TT. How much better depends on a lot of factors, but you've been the only one to say differently, and I'll wager it's not based on personal experience.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #18

True
Old 10-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by derba View Post
Consider the windage of the 5th wheel over truck's bed area. That would be one concrete difference that is universal. A 5th wheel will have more wind drag going down the road than a trailer. That's not arguable. Is that a real reason to choose one over the other?... probably not. You will most likely get 1 MPG less, or some other nominal amount, less fuel economy due to the windage.
I don't know ,but every 'hotshot' driver I have asked said the opposite 'even though heavier and longer they use less fuel'(5ths).Hotshotters drive the same routes day in day out, same truck towing all kinds of trailers from factory to dealerships.
It must be because the air sees the 5th and truck as a more integrated unit ,TT has two fronts to the wind.
The first impression is not always true.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #20

May not be much difference in TV stress but towing a 5er is MUCH LESS stressful than a TT.
Disclaimer is if you have PLEANTY of TV for the TT not so stressful.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:51 AM   #21

I just towed 900 miles towing my 9200lb 35 ft TT with my dad's 06 megacab cummins and had absolutely no issues. I think it depends on the setup of your tow vehicle and trailer if there is more stress or not. I have a 4pt equalizer and sway was just not existent for me even in a driving wind with rain for 200 miles. If a fiver pulls easier than that did, it would have to be driving itself for me to believe it.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
If a fiver pulls easier than that did, it would have to be driving itself for me to believe it.

I think what you're going to find is:
  1. The Fiver Club could never be convinced that a TT is better. I mean, just look at the 5r... it's huge! Slides galore, even stairs!!
  2. The TT Club could never be convinced that a 5r is better. I mean just look at the 5r! It's huge! And won't fit the places I like to go....

To your original question, I think you're fine either way you go. The trucks will do the jobs without any extra concern on either towable.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Agree - and that is why the manufacturers continue to make both. Thankfully it gives all of us options to purchase the unit that best fits our needs and wants.

Good thing we are different otherwise that one campground would be awfully full of identical units.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

I think what you're going to find is:

1. The Fiver Club could never be convinced that a TT is better. I mean, just look at the 5r... it's huge! Slides galore, even stairs!!
  2. The TT Club could never be convinced that a 5r is better. I mean just look at the 5r! It's huge! And won't fit the places I like to go....

To your original question, I think you're fine either way you go. The trucks will do the jobs without any extra concern on either towable.

I like this guy.

What if I have both? TT for hunting and camping in the mountains, Fiver for living and traveling in. :/
Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
I like this guy.

What if I have both? TT for hunting and camping in the mountains, Fiver for living and traveling in. :/
This is most acceptable
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT's are in a much lower price point on average. You start looking at 35' to 38' 5th wheels, now your also looking for a diesel truck to pull it.

I'll use the example of my last tt (2005 25' hybrid). Paid about $16,500 (new), used it 380 nights over 7 seasons, sold it (Craigslist) for $8,500. So that translated to $21 per night used.

Was able to be towed with my Toyota SUV that also doubled as my work vehicle.

At one time we thought about a 5er (Carriage brand), but knew two things. For the one we would want( floorplan) , I would also need a diesel truck. And because of the size 35' , 36' it would be hard to get into many national and state parks which we favor over private parks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer